SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-22, 11:50 AM   #1
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0
Default Corrupted saves again

Does one corrupted save interfere with saves afterward? For example I'll have a bad save for whatever reason. go back to the save before it and play again, save it and it will be after the corrupt save and that one will be corrupted. This is so annoying It's happens in every mod even vanilla. Should I delete the corrupt save before I go back and run the one before it that's good? Does it make any difference?
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 11:58 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
Does one corrupted save interfere with saves afterward? For example I'll have a bad save for whatever reason. go back to the save before it and play again, save it and it will be after the corrupt save and that one will be corrupted. This is so annoying It's happens in every mod even vanilla. Should I delete the corrupt save before I go back and run the one before it that's good? Does it make any difference?
yes, occasionally bad saves occur. it has been my experience that the bad save does not affect anything before or after.

so, to answer your question, i would just ignore the bad save and the next time you perform save-clean-up, delete it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 07:30 PM   #3
1Patriotofmany
XO

This is getting old and making SH4 unplayable. I'm running Darkwaters, I kick A$$ and move on to another location, find a big convoy, see one ship of the convoy, save the game, I take 3 minutes between every click, exit game. restart game and save won't start. error. Go back and delete the saved game. both richsave and regular save. Start over again for the eighth time. Why bother? SH4 is so bug ridden vanilla and every mod I've played does the same thing. CAN YOU TELL I'M FRUSTRATED? I've searched the forums and tried every suggestion, none work for the long term.
Old 06-29-22, 08:11 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It sounds like you are using the Windows File Manager and navigating to the Save folder to remove the old stuff. You really should not delete your old or corrupted Saves in File Manager unless you are clearing the entire Save folder. Use the dialog in the game to remove old Save slots. The game might be getting lost when you do that (if you are) - of course, it does get lost anyway...

Make certain you have plenty of hard drive space and that you have have either the 4Gig Patch or LAA applied to the SH4.exe. To begin with, make certain that you are starting with a clean game install and NOT in the Program Files folders of course. Make certain you have a good mod activation and empty the Save folder (if necessary) before starting the modded game. Be wary of changing the mod list after starting a career. I have two computers running SH4 (used to have three - a moment of silent please sob ) and all three ran SH4 differently. This laptop loads everything faster. The desktop that just died was the graphics champ, and the other desktop is stable as a rock (knock on wood). The hardware can make a difference, especially if you have background stuff running in Windows while playing the game (Windows Update can be a killer - check for updates before playing). CapnScurvy did a Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install with Post #7 the star of the show there.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 09:47 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
This is getting old and making SH4 unplayable. I'm running Darkwaters, I kick A$$ and move on to another location, find a big convoy, see one ship of the convoy, save the game, I take 3 minutes between every click, exit game. restart game and save won't start. error. Go back and delete the saved game. both richsave and regular save. Start over again for the eighth time. Why bother? SH4 is so bug ridden vanilla and every mod I've played does the same thing. CAN YOU TELL I'M FRUSTRATED? I've searched the forums and tried every suggestion, none work for the long term.
one thing PB didn't mention that i have experienced, especially when playing OpMonson/DW, is that, restoring a saved game with a large convoy already spawned, can create CTD when attempting to restore. it has to do with memory and the way Ubi uses it. 40 ship convoys suck up memory like nobody's business.

try and save before the second spawn...when the convoy is still one entity.
yeah, i know, sometimes you can't accomplish that.
if you encounter a spawned convoy, do the best that you can and then move off and save after the convoy has sailed away.

good luck, Herr Kaleun.

LAA enabled
Old 06-30-22, 01:20 PM   #6
1Patriotofmany
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It sounds like you are using the Windows File Manager and navigating to the Save folder to remove the old stuff. You really should not delete your old or corrupted Saves in File Manager unless you are clearing the entire Save folder. Use the dialog in the game to remove old Save slots. The game might be getting lost when you do that (if you are) - of course, it does get lost anyway...

Make certain you have plenty of hard drive space and that you have have either the 4Gig Patch or LAA applied to the SH4.exe. To begin with, make certain that you are starting with a clean game install and NOT in the Program Files folders of course. Make certain you have a good mod activation and empty the Save folder (if necessary) before starting the modded game. Be wary of changing the mod list after starting a career. I have two computers running SH4 (used to have three - a moment of silent please sob ) and all three ran SH4 differently. This laptop loads everything faster. The desktop that just died was the graphics champ, and the other desktop is stable as a rock (knock on wood). The hardware can make a difference, especially if you have background stuff running in Windows while playing the game (Windows Update can be a killer - check for updates before playing). CapnScurvy did a Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install with Post #7 the star of the show there.
How do I delete the bad save/s in the game dialog? The rest of the post is yes, all the rest you guys taught me. Thanks.
Old 06-30-22, 04:38 PM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
How do I delete the bad save/s in the game dialog? The rest of the post is yes, all the rest you guys taught me. Thanks.
Delete is under the Save Game menu item.
within a mission: Esc-Save Game-Delete-confirm delete.
in port, between missions: click on the file cabinet to the left, Save Game-Delete-confirm delete.
piece of cake.

LAA enabled
Old 06-30-22, 11:08 PM   #8
1Patriotofmany
XO

Thanks guys.
Old 07-02-22, 02:05 AM   #9
1Patriotofmany
XO

Not trying ti jinx myself, but it appears I have much better luck hitting save waiting a few minutes, then resume the game for about 20 seconds and flat out quit. I was even able to recover a bad one after a corrupt save using that method, by starting a good one and then loading the bad one. Seems when i go through the 4-5 menus even taking two minutes to three minutes per click to save and end the game, I have the most failures. Think I'll stick to saving and waiting a few minutes then resuming. Wait a minute after resume and just quit the game. Anybody else find this more stable?
Old 07-02-22, 09:15 AM   #10
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Not trying ti jinx myself, but it appears I have much better luck hitting save waiting a few minutes, then resume the game for about 20 seconds and flat out quit. I was even able to recover a bad one after a corrupt save using that method, by starting a good one and then loading the bad one. Seems when i go through the 4-5 menus even taking two minutes to three minutes per click to save and end the game, I have the most failures. Think I'll stick to saving and waiting a few minutes then resuming. Wait a minute after resume and just quit the game. Anybody else find this more stable?
i save when there are no other ships detected, when i am not near a coastline with an airfield or battery, when i have moved off from the are where i have sunk ships.
i never save and then reload...any saved game. i always exit and return to play the saved game.
there are probably a couple more do's/don't's that i follow and i just cannot remember them at this time.

i used to have save/reload issues, especially with OpM, and over time i have developed the best practices i have outlined above and now i have less issues.

LAA enabled
Old 07-02-22, 09:23 AM   #11
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Yes. That does seem to be "proper technique"... though as KM mentions, somewhat mod-dependent also.

My guess is that the game has a read AND a write buffer for the hard drive, the write buffer being the "slow poke", and therein lies the trouble when you don't "pause", but who knows?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 12:20 PM   #12
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

I follow the methodology, NEVER saving while submerged, near any ship... (still alive or sunk) of being in either nav map or in command room... making sure there are no ships or aircraft about... not near land by at minimum of 50 nm, in deep waters area... never shallow waters... & have been out of using high TC, by at minimum of... 3 minutes (I feel 5 is better, but... that's just Me *shrugs*) before doing a save... & then waiting at least 3-5 minutes after, before I exit.

Following that methodology... to date (knock on wood) I have not ran into any issues, with save corruptions... thus far.

Hope this helps...

M. M.
Old 07-12-22, 05:07 PM   #13
1Patriotofmany
XO

Default I believe my solution works

I've been saving a game, wait 3 minutes, then RESUME the game for about 10 seconds or more. Then Quit to windows, taking 10 seconds or more to click on the two quit screens. I've been saving while a giant convoy is near, saving underwater during attacks and hurt, saving everywhere you're not supposed to. Knock on wood every save has turned out good since I complained at the beginning of this post!!!!! Playing Darkwaters. Haven't tried the same method on other mods yet. I am happy again! Had a few weird saves where the crew was repeating something over and over when I started it, but diving or doing something else stops the repeating.

Last edited by 1Patriotofmany; 07-12-22 at 05:17 PM.