SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-24, 12:01 PM   #391
KingOfNothing22
Nub

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

First time back here in a long, long time! Have used LSH 2015 for years, recently picked it up again and saw there's now the 2022 edition so had to try it.

Installation and everything went fine but I'm having an odd issue with my optics. The periscope and UZO sights are well off and as I play with realistic targeting etc it's going to become a headache really quickly. Don't appear to have any other issues with the resolution so not sure where the issue is or how to solve it.

KingOfNothing22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-24, 01:44 PM   #392
KingOfNothing22
Nub

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfNothing22 View Post
First time back here in a long, long time! Have used LSH 2015 for years, recently picked it up again and saw there's now the 2022 edition so had to try it.

Installation and everything went fine but I'm having an odd issue with my optics. The periscope and UZO sights are well off and as I play with realistic targeting etc it's going to become a headache really quickly. Don't appear to have any other issues with the resolution so not sure where the issue is or how to solve it.

Never mind, it turns out it's a mod conflict! The only other question I have is I saw in that the LSH3-2022-GUI-OLC-FHD mod is supposed to be included in the download but wasn't for me, is there anywhere I can get it? Thanks!
KingOfNothing22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-24, 05:58 PM   #393
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

KingOfNothing22! ...after an 8-year 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-24, 10:57 PM   #394
Archive1
Commander

Downloads: 26
Default Sub Assignments

All:
Now in patrol #17 in Dec 1941. And get an assigned area to patrol as DT81. That makes no sense. It lies way south off the west coast of Africa. We all know the actual war demand action is between England and Scandinavia and on the British west coast to sink British shipping to the UK. So, are these area assignments just randomly generated by the program with no rational underlying their position? If that is the case, we may as well ignore them and hunt on our own...which makes this more of an arcade game than anything near resembling realism. I know it's a game, but then so is Pong. Aren't we supposed to be better?

I was earlier going to ask if anyone could answer if Unterseeboot Command wanted sub commanders to head directly to assigned quadrants and ignore targets enroute, or take advantage of targets as they emerged. But maybe that is just too subtle for the game.

Finally is there a group working on updating LSH3? Or is this it?
-=Archive1=-
Archive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-24, 01:51 AM   #395
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

There could be a historical basis to it, depends on what Flotilla you're in. In GWX the grids are random, but from a selection of about five which the game has to choose from for a given month and year, which are usually historically plausible for a specific Flotilla. I imagine LSH3 is similar. Whilst the main area of the U-boat war was in the North Atlantic they still operated far and wide: From the Arctic Ocean, Baltic, Caribbean, Mediterranean, Black Sea, South Atlantic, Indian Ocean and even off the coasts of Australia and New Zealand. The more far away places were for the larger Type IX boats. You'll need to be economical with your fuel during transit.

Here's an example of an actual BDU KTB from WW2 showing each U-boat's position for a given day for a selected period:
https://www.uboatarchive.net/BDU/BDUKTB30312A.htm

The lack of proper objectives has always a limitation of SH3. In reality the U-boats were constantly micro-managed by BDU on a daily basis. One thing I like to do is use a random number generator on a separate device (laptop in my case) to help choose what grids I need to patrol next. I won't go into all the details about it but it's a nice way of simulating receiving new orders by being a little creative.

Engaging targets en route to an objective was typical and expected, though there were some occasions when they had orders not to, but those were quite rare and usually limited to special assignments.

Someone from the LSH3 team would have to answer the last question.

stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-24, 12:10 AM   #396
Archive1
Commander

Downloads: 26

Stork:
Superb answer. And, actually, pretty much what I thought. I generally ignore the assigned quadrants and head for what I historically believe was the most rewarding quadrant with some idea of where the heavy-use lines had to be. And sometimes, feeling like taking a chance, I head for some dangerous, but good target...like a harbor. Dangerous that but gets the juices flowing. And, yes, I play at a very high level of 'reality' - 'course that's not really 'real' since we all go to bed at night heading for a peaceful day, but you know what I mean.
Thanks,
-=Archive=-
Archive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-24, 04:36 PM   #397
amerelium
Watch

Downloads: 0

Weather fix does not seem to be working - I have finished 10 patrols, all of them constant wind strength 15. Once it starts (a day out from port) the wind never dies down. Sky and fog varies, but wind (and waves) stay at 15.
amerelium is offline   Reply With Quote