SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-07-11, 09:32 AM   #1
mido
Engineer

Downloads: 191
Uploads: 1
Default Deck Gun, For or Aft Mount

How can one change the deck gun position from the rear to the front? It is kind of uncomfortable to have the deck gun aft mount.
mido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 09:52 AM   #2
Diopos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

When in port, you can "buy" a fore mounting cannon if it's available and you have the "renown" to do so,
BUT
I would strongly suggest you "save" before such an upgrade because depending on fleetboat type, game version and activated modes you may end up with no cannon at all !!!

Anyway, aft guns are really handy when you're trying to escape on the surface. A sub would generally go into voluntary surface action under very "safe" circumstances (unarmed or seriously disabled/lightly armed targets). Under such circumstances the "akward" position of an aft gun is a secondary nuisance ...
Diopos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 10:01 AM   #3
mido
Engineer

Thanks for your reply. I realize that it strongly depends on the mods one uses. It is quite simple in TMO but I am checking on RFB with RSRDC at the moment. Do you have an idea how you can change it with this combination of mods? There is no option at the start of a career.

Note: Moderator, if this is in the wrong forum now since it became mod related, please move.
Old 12-07-11, 01:30 PM   #4
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

[QUOTE=Diopos;1801204]When in port, you can "buy" a fore mounting cannon if it's available and you have the "renown" to do so,...[QUOTE]
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-12, 01:19 PM   #5
Josey Wales
Swabbie

Downloads: 37
Default deck gun crew disappeared

Not sure if its the mod, or if this is game bug, Im running version 1.5 with optical targeting corrrection but my crew for my deck gun was gone after I upgraded my deck gun in port from aft to fore now no crew slots for deck gun and no way to get them back. when playing the crew says they will man deck gun and button lights up but no shooting i have to man fire, and reload takes longer, My question has anyone ran into this, and can it be fixed, didnt notice till halfway through next mission and hate to go back. Thanks!
Josey Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-12, 01:25 PM   #6
john9001
Swabbie

Downloads: 3

the aft mounted gun is not that big a handicap to firing forward, you only have to change course a little to bring the gun to bear. i did it last night to finish off a small freighter.
john9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-12, 07:16 AM   #7
Loudspeaker
Bosun

Downloads: 56

It's kinda weird why anyone would place a gun on the aft of a sub. You will need to be moving away from your target, or you will need to expose your broad side to it, which is not a very wise thing to do, if it has guns itself. If you are approaching an unaware target at high speed, surely you would like to open the ball without having to turn your boat around for the first shot.

The aft mounted gun is in my opinion one of the odds of history and submarine design.
Loudspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-12, 08:32 AM   #8
donna52522
Lady Mariner

Downloads: 225

I prefer the aft deck gun, in TMO's optional mods, I always pick the "aft gun only" mod. It's by no means a handicap. When finishing off a wounded ship, all it takes to bring the gun to bare is to maneuver before you surface.

Richard O'kane preferred the aft deck gun for the fact that the only time he would need it was while heading away from trouble. Historically there was more deck room for the gun crew to operate on the aft deck. It's possible that it cut down underwater drag for the boat as well.

donna52522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-12, 10:22 AM   #9
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

This is an old issue that has been brought up numerous times. It's all a matter of preference and there are arguments, both pro & con, to fore and aft mounts. As Donna has shown, even RL skippers had their own preferences.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-12, 10:34 AM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna52522 View Post
IIt's possible that it cut down underwater drag for the boat as well.
A good point, and one I don't think has ever been raised before.
Old 01-14-12, 10:44 AM   #11
mido
Engineer

I have read that some skippers had them taken off their fleet boats all together in order to reduce draft.
Old 01-15-12, 06:39 AM   #12
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Later in the war, you will want a deckgun, especially if you use RSRCD. Since most of the traffic you will see, will be small vessels like sampans, and fishing boats.

But if you have aft deckguns when starting the game, don't accept a foredeck gun. That is the problem, that you will lose the crew on the gun. A stock bug that is hardcoded from what I understand.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-12, 11:36 AM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudspeaker View Post
It's kinda weird why anyone would place a gun on the aft of a sub. You will need to be moving away from your target, or you will need to expose your broad side to it, which is not a very wise thing to do, if it has guns itself. If you are approaching an unaware target at high speed, surely you would like to open the ball without having to turn your boat around for the first shot.
If you look at any wartime picture or video, the boat is almost always broadside to its target, no matter where the gun is placed. Directly forward is not exactly stable. Of course no direction on a submarine is truly stable.

Quote:
The aft mounted gun is in my opinion one of the odds of history and submarine design.
Good thing it's only your opinion.
Old 01-15-12, 12:08 PM   #14
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

In ship to ship gunnery action, it is safer to be broadside to your target than nose/tail on.

Consider that in targeting with a gun, there are two separate parts of the targeting, each with its own circle of error.

Bearing and range.

Now the error in bearing is pretty small. It is pretty easy to to get the bearing of the target to within one degree.

Range is another matter. First there is the error in determining the range to the target, and then there is the error in hitting that specific range from a non-motionless platform (ship/sub). This applies to ranges where indirect fire is used. If the ship is close enough, range errors are insignificant. Any effects of the waves will most likely increase the range error and not the bearing error.

So to be safe from enemy gun fire you want to be in a position that increases the failure due to range errors.

If you are broadside, the enemy can determine the bearing as easily as if you were nose/tail on. But by placing yourself broadside you are exposing the narrow width of your sub against the multiple errors in range from the enemy. They may have the bearing but it is more likely that they will under/overshoot due to range errors and errors in platform stability.

If you were end on, your entire length of your submarine will be in the range error direction. An under/overshoot has a better chance of hitting some part of your submarine.

This is easily tested by placing a stationary ship in the game. Maneuver your submarine so that the ship is either end on or broadside to your submarine. See how the difficulty changes in hitting the ship using indirect fire. It is much easier to hit a ship that is end on than broadside.

So keep your submarine end on to avoid detection, but once the gun play starts. broadside for the survival
Old 01-15-12, 12:33 PM   #15
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

In as much as a gun on a submarine makes sense then an aft mount makes as much sense as one mounted forward.

Fleet boats had their conning towers relatively farther forward than U-Boats. This left more space aft.

Spray interference from the bow would not affect an aft mounted gun.

What's the gun for? With complete firepower superiority it matters not at all where the gun is mounted since the sub has freedom of maneuver. Without total firepower superiority you have no reason to voluntarily use a gun from a vessel as vulnerable as a submarine.

If you have to escape on the surface and under fire, the aft gun mount simplifies and improves your course options as its "A" arc will be towards the enemy as you flee.

Most Fleet Boat captains did fine with aft mounted guns although many never actually used them on patrol. I would suggest that gamers love deck guns far more than real life skippers ever did.