SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-13, 02:12 PM   #136
Bothersome
Planesman

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0

OK final report for this patrol.

I got screen shots this time

This is from travelling a very long way in a VIIC.

I hope like hell I get a VIIC41 this time.

My speed was mostly at 13 knots after the refit at sea. Some chasing at 17 knots to catch a few close by merchies. Paying close attention to available fuel.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54171727/SH...0_13.55.29.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54171727/SH...0_13.56.56.jpg
Bothersome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 02:18 PM   #137
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothersome View Post
Welcome to Penang - you made it
Old 03-10-13, 04:59 PM   #138
Bothersome
Planesman

Thanks Trevally,

This envoronment is really shinning nicely now that I've gotten out of the north seas and started seeing some of the rest of the world.

There is still some beauty in the realism settings on this mod. It's not all gray and bland like you might think when you first start out in Kiel.

Here is nice shot just after sunset.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54171727/SH...0_16.51.27.jpg

By the way, I don't post the pictures directly onto these messages because some ppl might not want to have to spend the time downloading them. It's just as easy to click the link to see them anyway. You can see them in full resolution and it doesn't open the text area properties of the web pages so that it's so wide and annoying. When you done looking, you just close the new tab that opened for the picture.

Edited, also...
There is one thing I do notice with the posted screenshots that I've been posting. They aren't as pretty as when I see them in game. It's like the contrast and brightness is not applied to the screen shot file. In game, they look more natural. Probably due to the contrast and brightness settings in the game options.
Old 03-10-13, 05:46 PM   #139
7Infanterie19
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Been waiting so long for this upgrade that I didn't even realize it was here when I first saw the thread! I actually thought it was some other mod . Good job!!! Many thanks!!

I haven't had any problems or crashes running the mod. Colors look good in balanced mode. Vivid mode looks sweet, but is a bit too violet for my liking, so I'm sticking with balanced mode like I did with the old version.

I like the sleet option. Nice effect seeing it come at you, then whip left or right. Looks good! I do remember having it about 300 kms off the coast of Bergen (between 2 and 3 degrees East) in February 1940 and then (I think) again off Bergen in late March (near 4 degrees) IIRC. gap, I will try to keep track of rain and sleet with more detail as per your post #122.

Dogfish40 and Bothersome were talking about sober's wake fix in post 76. I had that problem as well in that it made the ship wakes look like the waves were paint smeared. Unfortunately, I had to disable it to get things back to normal again. sober posted that he's the only one the fix works for .. hehehe!

As for waves, with breeze or gale, they look good, but the water seems way too fast going by the ship, almost like watching a fast river current after a heavy rain. I tested this while leaving Wilhelmshaven, but not in open sea. The effect made me dizzy, so I reverted back to sober's V10 waves. The speed seems about the same, but the way the waves move doesn't give me any dizzying effect. It's probably just me, since I get migraines and stuff sometimes.

Thanks to gap's bug list posted by volodya61 in response to fifi (post 93), I at least know the reason why medium fog doesn't work at night. I was worried that it was sober's fog mod, because I hadn't encountered that problem or realized it before, but now see that it's a vanilla bug. That bug list also pointed out another problem I had which was being stuck on medium fog for two months of in-game time starting with the old version and still happening with the upgrade to the new version (all that fog depresses a man ). It eventually got resolved with the addition of Stoianm's old EnvWeather mod and a good reload - at least that's what I'm guessing.

Old 03-11-13, 10:19 AM   #140
Bothersome
Planesman

New rain report.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54171727/SH...1_10.14.16.jpg

Gap, do you still want these?
Old 03-11-13, 06:25 PM   #141
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Infanterie19 View Post
Been waiting so long for this upgrade that I didn't even realize it was here when I first saw the thread! I actually thought it was some other mod . Good job!!! Many thanks!!
Thank you too for using it. Hope you are enjoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Infanterie19 View Post
...That bug list also pointed out another problem I had which was being stuck on medium fog for two months of in-game time starting with the old version and still happening with the upgrade to the new version (all that fog depresses a man ). It eventually got resolved with the addition of Stoianm's old EnvWeather mod and a good reload - at least that's what I'm guessing.
Stoianm EnvWeather is already included in Dynamic Environment base mod, you don't need it; moreover, due to the changes I have made to the weather zones, that old mod is not compatible with DynEnv. I warmly recommend you to disable it.

If you think you are experiencing too many foggy days, I need for dates, locations, regular weather reports, etc similar to what I have asked for rain
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-13, 07:15 PM   #142
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
New rain report.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54171727/SH...1_10.14.16.jpg

Gap, do you still want these?
Sure, please keep them coming.

The more information we can collect, the more we can undesrtand how things are working. Thanks to TDW's coordinates converter, I was able to create my own spreadsheet which converts from map coordinates to offsets in the tga map used for weather zones assignation. This means that from now on I will know exaclty to which pixel of the ClimateZones.tga map weather reports are relative, and that I don't need anymore for screenshots of the navigation map: written lat/long + date + full weather report will be enough.

Sticking back to your past reports, I can confirm that:

1st report:
Quote:
36,46'S by 19,10'E course 110 Speed 13
March 26 02:13 GMT.
Overcast, Precip Heavy, Fog Light, Winds 15, Direction 52
season: autumn
Min-MaxWeatherChangeInterval = 3-12 h
Min-Max WindSpeed = 1-15 m/s

2nd report:
Quote:
April 2, 1943 17:00 GMT
Pos. 28d 29m S by 52d 10m E
Rain Heavy, Fog Heavy, Overcast, Wind 15
Min-Max WindSpeed = 1-13 m/s

3rd report:
Quote:
April 4, 1700 GMT
Pos 24d 26m S by 60d 34m E
Rain None, Fog Medium, Partial Clouds, Wind 15
Min-Max WindSpeed = 1-13 m/s

4th-5th report:
April 30th
4°9'N 91°31'E - 3°35'N 90°28'E
clouds overcast, precipitations medium, fog light, wind speed 15 m/s

season: summer
Min-MaxWeatherChangeInterval = 5-24 h
Min-Max WindSpeed = 1-11 m/s

my comment are at post #133 are still valid. You keep having wind speeds higher than the set MaxWindSpeed for the areas were you have been patrolling, and rains seem to be always associated with maximum wind speed

also notice that the current season for the area you currently patrolling jumped back from autumn to summer. This is due to the way I have simulated monsoon climate. I suppose that even at summer a rainy episode once in a wile should be considered as normal. Looking forward to your next report anyway: let's see what is going on.

I would also like to hear from other DynEnv users, patrolling different areas...
Old 03-11-13, 08:38 PM   #143
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I suppose that even at summer a rainy episode once in a wile should be considered as normal...

I would also like to hear from other DynEnv users, patrolling different areas...
Absolutely! It can rain in summer! lol
I would not like to see all summer without a rain

Fog in DE is a bit more complex...
In real, i don't believe there are days and days of non stop fog like we can see in OHII.
Fog on sea is usually on quite localized areas, and can desappear as fast as it was coming
It's created because of warmer air on cold sea surface (even the inverse!) but as soon as both are almost same temperature (i.e warmed by sun) fog desappear...
Sea currents play huge part of it too (when there are some).

Other type of sea fog is the coastal fog (happening very often at the end of night in autumn/winter) and very localized (no more further than 5 miles away from coasts) almost everywhere in Europe. It can be very heavy, but usually desappear after few hours...

I wish you could adjust the fog in DE (might be not possible?) so its duration would be greatly decreased, maybe its frequency increase (still not sure about...) but happening in regard of seasons.
And cherry on cake would be coastal fog the mornings!

EDIT: about rain in DE, i rarely see it, and that's a little shame.
For some reason, i remember some career with quite a lot, and as i had to restart many times career to test mods some others almost rainless...

Last edited by Fifi; 03-11-13 at 10:32 PM.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-13, 10:41 PM   #144
Bothersome
Planesman

Thanks Gap, and thanks to all other modders that help create this little imaginary world for us to play in.

Right about now I sure could use some of that fog again. Those damn pesky planes are getting plentiful as mosquitoes. I just spent half a day at 36m depth to "let it all pass over". Having to dive every 30 mins to an hour makes my game go real slow.

But I have a bit of a weather report for you.

Date is May 16, 1943, sunny and clear for the last week or so. Winds have been about 0 to 2 m/s. I did manage to grab a pretty screen though. Pos 12d 14m S 51d 26m E.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54171727/SH...1_22.05.40.jpg
That one was in the early morning just after a plane passed over.

I turned off shadows to increase the frame which went to max 60Hz constantly. I didn't know shadows costs so much processing.

I also had to remove IRAI 0.39 because it was causing a crash to DT too often. Usually when a plane was to be rendered. Since I have removed it (at bunker) I have not had a single crash since.

My current load order...
Code:
FX_Update_0_0_21_ByTheDarkWraith
Remove Electric Torpedo Wakes
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2.1 Patch
Torpedo_Speed_Abilitie_Fix_for_TDC_SH5_v120
OPEN HORIZONS II_full v2
NewUIs_TDC_7_1_0_ByTheDarkWraith
R.E.M_by_Xrundel_TheBeast_1.2
DynEnv v2.9 - 1. Main Mod
DynEnv v2.9 - 3.b Enhanced Visibility (high)
DynEnv v2.9 - 3.b No Underwater Impurity Patch
DynEnv v2.9 - 4.a Camera Filters - Realistic Colors
DynEnv v2.9 - 5.a Ambient Settings - Darker Nights
DynEnv v2.9 - 10.I Seafloor (high resolution)
DynEnv v2.9 - 11.c.I Sea Plants - Coral Reefs (high resolution)
DynEnv v2.9 - 12. Sounds
R.E.M. - hydrophone mute for player fix (TDW compatible)
TDW_Ship_Inertia_1_1_0
RemoveLogoIntroTheDarkWraith
Did I mention there are tons of planes to be avoided here? They're getting desperate too, coming out at different times in the night to find my little ol' Unterseeboot. I guess they got wind that a 4 time Night's Cross Captain is in the area.
Old 03-12-13, 09:46 AM   #145
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Fog in DE is a bit more complex...
In real, i don't believe there are days and days of non stop fog like we can see in OHII.
I suppose you meant DynEnv here, OHII has no role in weather generation

Quote:
Fog on sea is usually on quite localized areas, and can desappear as fast as it was coming
It's created because of warmer air on cold sea surface (even the inverse!) but as soon as both are almost same temperature (i.e warmed by sun) fog desappear...
Sea currents play huge part of it too (when there are some).

Other type of sea fog is the coastal fog (happening very often at the end of night in autumn/winter) and very localized (no more further than 5 miles away from coasts) almost everywhere in Europe. It can be very heavy, but usually desappear after few hours...
I agree with all you are suggesting. It would be reflected in DynEnv yet, if it was possible...

Quote:
I wish you could adjust the fog in DE (might be not possible?) so its duration would be greatly decreased, maybe its frequency increase (still not sure about...) but happening in regard of seasons.
And cherry on cake would be coastal fog the mornings!
Unfortunately we have little space for altering SH weather, unless TDW finds a way to hack the relevant game code. The only parameters we can freely edit are the ones I have listed in my comments to bothersome's reports, i.e. season's durations and alternation and, for each season, min/max weather change interval and wind speed. Multiply it for each climate/weather zone (we can have up a maximum of 256 of them). That's all.

According to information I have received from one of the devs, only current season affects fog/rain occurrence in a way predetermined in game code. I am now investigating if, by any chance, also wind speeds and weather change ranges can affect precipitations.

You all can help me, by sending me your detailed weather reports, under various weather conditions. The more detailed and close together the reports, the more we can undesrtand. At this point, generic complaints like "lately I had more fog than sunny days", though respectable, are not going to help us solving the issue.

Quote:
EDIT: about rain in DE, i rarely see it, and that's a little shame.
For some reason, i remember some career with quite a lot...
This seems to be Bothersome's case

Old 03-12-13, 10:31 AM   #146
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
But I have a bit of a weather report for you.

Date is May 16, 1943, sunny and clear for the last week or so. Winds have been about 0 to 2 m/s. I did manage to grab a pretty screen though. Pos 12d 14m S 51d 26m E.
season: summer
Min-MaxWeatherChangeInterval = 5-24 h
Min-Max WindSpeed = 3-15 m/s

I start wondering if my wind settings are applied at all, lol,
your reported wind speeds are often off the ranges set by me. I see three possible explainations:

- I made some mistake
- those wind speed ranges are somehow randomized, though I see it improbable
- if you are moving fast from a zone to the next one, the new wind speed settings are not applied until the weather change interval of the previous weather zone has elapsed. I lean toward this last hypothesis; if that was true, the proper way to test weather settings for each given zone should be by staying at full stop for a few days.

Quote:
I turned off shadows to increase the frame which went to max 60Hz constantly. I didn't know shadows costs so much processing.

Quote:
I also had to remove IRAI 0.39 because it was causing a crash to DT too often. Usually when a plane was to be rendered. Since I have removed it (at bunker) I have not had a single crash since.
try enabling the previous version. Planes AI was reworked in the last version, but there are probably some bugs in it.

Quote:
Did I mention there are tons of planes to be avoided here? They're getting desperate too, coming out at different times in the night to find my little ol' Unterseeboot. I guess they got wind that a 4 time Night's Cross Captain is in the area.
Blame it on Trevally!
Old 03-12-13, 01:05 PM   #147
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post

Blame it on Trevally!
Old 03-12-13, 03:39 PM   #148
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Thanks for your reply Gap.
This fog story is not really a complaint, you all did already a fantastic job with DE
Maybe one day it will be possible to adjust things!
Anyway, your environment mod is better to me than any i've seen in others SH so far.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 01:38 AM   #149
Bothersome
Planesman

OK new weather report... Got rain after about a week or so of clear sky and 0 winds. Then got fog for about 2 days at 0 wind then got this...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54171727/SH...2_23.23.56.jpg

My location is not far from previous location shown in message box. Rain lasted about 1 day then had to exit so I could reboot into linux for some official work. So I don't know how long it would have lasted. But am about to go back into the sim now.

Is there a way to copy/paste from the ship's journal or message box?
Old 03-13-13, 09:57 AM   #150
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Hi Gabriele

I think you fail to collect trustworthy information on the mod's usage because all testers constantly saved and reloaded the game, which certainly affect the 'cleanness' of the experiment..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
climate, dynamic environment, environment, environmental mod, fog, weather