SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-22, 11:38 AM   #46
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 10:33 AM   #47
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

You guys are funny - and obviously never have tried to learn piano, eh?

Well, I have far more moderate and realistic goals. And even from these I am still a felt lightyear away. If I could ever make it to the level like in the following example, I already would have acchieved my objective, and more. And I think, one day I can get there: its slow, and not complex in structure. "Simple". Well, not really, but you know what I mean.

I feel like aiming at Jupiter and beyond - but so far have just crawled into Earth'S orbit. Next comes docking to the station. Then the Moon base. Then the Mars base.

And then, maybe, Jupiter.

Somebody said its full of stars notes.
Old 08-31-22, 05:32 AM   #48
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I got a motivation boost, because in the past 2-3 days I suddenly had a big jump forward in trying to get used to move both hands' fingers independently without them two always falling into synch sooner or later. The result was that I now, within one week, learned to play my first two little songs: Little Trinketry from the video above, and the famous Milton's Tower Theme from What Remains of Edith Finch. Nothing spectacular (but beautifully fragile), two simple, "easy" pieces and hardly a reason to brag about - but what is not noteworthy for mankind, is nevertheless a big step forward for my slow learning brain. I maske a lot of mistakes, and cannot keep the loudness with every key as is needed, and in Trinketry the huge octave grabs cause me to hit the wrong key more often than I like (or better the little finger huts not one, but two keys) - but the "partition" is in my mind, and while the execution still lacks, I know what it should be like, and can correct myself. Miltons Tower I can get through without mistake if I concentrate, Trinketry I can get through but do mistakes from mistypings (after twenty years in this forum you are expecting this from me, I assume...) , in the left hand, those octaves are killing me still. I play slower, however, and the tempi are sooner or later getting a bit out of tact. Lets not discuss artistic impression and interpretation...

There is a deeper effect from it, I can see it and experience it. You cannot imagine how difficult I found it to learn to do chords with the one hand, and a totally different simple meldoy or improvisation with the other hand, the brain flipped out. Short time after my last post I was so frustrated from uselessly trying and trying that I almost gave up. But for some reason I tried on, 3, 4 times a day, again and again and again and again. And suddenly some switches flipped over inside my brain, and the two songs worked. In the aftermath, there is an effect beyond these two songs: I suddenly find it much easier to operate my two hands independently from each other, its as if a wall has crumbled that I slammed my head against long enough. And I mean not only in these two songs, but in general its easier now.

Proof of progress!

At the other front however the battle has frozen in place: my attempt to learn reading notes fluently, so far stalls again and again. I need to decypher every single dot individually and its time consuming, I know the verses that should help you to memorize which note is on what line and in what space, but all that takes seconds to process (per note!), and when I made sense of one note, the music already is ten bars further down the sheet. LOL I just cannot memorize the notes psoitions on nthe lines, and that now is extremely frustrating after six weeks without visible progress. Maybe I must refocus and adapt to my brain's limits there, learn music by sound and use the notes only as a visual help to remember the structure of the rythm at which the memorised sounds must drip down into the fingers. Hard, very hard this notes stuff all is, its the most difficult of all challenges in my ambition. And I hate it with passion. Only understanding the need that a certain minimum of understanding these things is inevitable, helps me to keep on trying it. Apparently now this is a wall which I need to slam by head against for much longer before it will crumble, and probably with more furor...

On the good side of this unsatisfying situation is that I find it surprisingly easy to learn music not by notes, but by listening. I can memorise the partition just from listening. My father says that is remarkable, and it makes things a bit easier for me. Maybe my blind chess playing from my youth helps...

With both hands now slowly unlocking their sychronous acting, it starts to make fun trying simple improvisations. Nothing spectacular, just a light-hearted playful toying around. I did that before already, very slowly, but now all by itself I noticed that I started to not just hit the key and get the sounds, but that I started to hit the key in rythms. I was not even after it, it happened all by itself. Now that is a pleasant thing to happen! The course I also still follow, focussed until here just on leanrign chords and ryathms, and this suddnely poppwe up all by itself here. So, may autodidactic approach to all this seems to bear fruits.

So I am still at it, and all in all I enjoy it, almost every day and then 2-3 times per day. Progress comes very slow - but it comes. It has started to seriously pick away from my computer time.

And if there may be a blackout, I must not worry: the piano sucks only 15W, and my battery holds 2 kW/h - that should keep me going for quite some days. Winter, where is your terror, blackness, where is your threat?

Last edited by Skybird; 08-31-22 at 05:59 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote