Old 06-13-22, 01:35 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Panther - Rheinmetall presents successor to Leopard-2

https://www.focus.de/finanzen/boerse...107962616.html

^ Video.

Kittycat has a 130mm cannon, autoloader, drone, autonomous turret. Seems to base on the earlier introdcued lighter vehicle Lynx, but this now is an MBT without doubt, weighing 59tons.

They say its a coup because the German-French cooperaiton on a joined new tank is in a dead end since years and does not move back or forth. So does the project of a shared Eurofighte replacement, which just got delayed from 2040 to 2050. These are not the first such cooperation attempts between both countries that failed.

Rheinmetall started work on this project in direct reply to the Russian Armata tank, which is said to be superior to the Leopard-2.

I have one question - how much coins?

Just days ago I have red somewhere that the British Challenger-3 also is getting the new Rheinmetall cannon. With that they really should be able to finally gte rid of Johnson.
Old 06-13-22, 03:37 PM   #2
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Heard of this and saw it. I think this undercut turret is a bad idea and one drone is not enough.
Tanks can only operate with hords of drones creating an overall picture.
Maybe a step in the right direction, but i think the Ukraine war shows tanks alone are overrated

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 03:45 PM   #3
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Heard of this and saw it. I think this undercut turret is a bad idea and one drone is not enough.
Maybe a step in the right direction, but i think the Ukraine war shows tanks alone are overrated
Not overrated but will become obsolete or some other thing will come out from this war.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 03:47 PM   #4
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Tanks alone can not occupy you need support for that also seen in the battle for Kyiv, support is important for its survival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 05:40 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Nice looking design and an even better name

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 06:52 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Nice looking design and an even better name A
AFAIK your Challenger-3 gets the new 130mm Rheinmetall main gun, too.
Old 06-14-22, 07:45 AM   #7
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:

It's not a new concept. The same weaknesses seen today have existed since their inception. Tanks alone, whether they are T-80's, Panzer Mark IV or even the lumbering armored beasts of the Great War, could not operate independently. Armor is a combined arms weapon that has always needed Infantry support to operate with any degree of effectiveness. Alone they are sitting ducks for everything from mines to a brave soul with a Molotov cocktail.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 10:00 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

The boss of Rheinmetall said he were in Moscow before the Crimea ware, during a military trade show, and sat inside the T-14 Armata. He was extremely impressed by the design and concept, he said, and he returned to Germany deeply worried about this tank. When he had returned, he immediately gave order that the company should immediately start to design a new tank to counter the Armata. He now claism that as a result the Panther were superior in all regards wehre the Armata had taken the lead, and that the cannon could easily defeat the armata'S new armour at any tpo be expected com bat ranges. He had gotten to order by the government. And now here he is with a new tank.

Compare to the going of the French-German poltical alliance for a new tank. Since years they waste time and more time - and money! - for endlessly discussing who wants what details and features prioritized and who does what and so forth. Additonally they fight over the coidnitons under which the tank can be sold to states outside NATO, France wants a more relaxed policy on such deals, while Germany wants to limit export options. Liuke other jpoint projects recently, the tnak now got delayed again and the expectations corrected the date when it will be delivered to 2040 and beyond.

I alway shated this French German venture on tank prodcution. In the end the French only wanted access to the German egineeering Know-How from the Leopard-2, whiole having not really somethign techznically to offer for compekisnation, so they said they help the Germans to sell the new tank to other custumers. And the Ger,mans once again allowed to get pulled over the table by the French. Once again, like many times before.

And there they are now. 2040 and beyond. Rheinmetall already has done its homework. Decisionmaker: one man. It will be interesting to see how the German government reacts. I think they will not like Rheinmetall'S coup. The French already are fuming over Germany'S deicison to buy F-35 - instead of a European (co-French) fighter or the planned FCAS fighter for europe, arriving now not before 2050. Timetable had just been moved back one decade.

I want my new toy in SBP. The Armata already is there.
Old 06-15-22, 03:20 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
AFAIK your Challenger-3 gets the new 130mm Rheinmetall main gun, too.
I'm not so sure, I believe it will be installed with Rheinmetall’s latest generation L55A1 120mm smoothbore gun because the 130mm is 500 kilo heavier and would require a larger turret.

I could of course be wrong though.

https://www.army-technology.com/proj...e-tank-mbt-uk/

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote