SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-27-17, 04:52 AM   #76
IceMike
Seaman

Downloads: 140
Uploads: 0

Jeezus, yea in 1997 i was only 3 years old. Cant remember a thing. But i do remember the golden days of childhood, the time you had no worries whatsoever besides what you'd do tomorrow all day.
I luckily enjoyed a stress free childhood and grew up in a traditional family, a family that taught values, the importance of integrity, respect thou fellow man, and told you whenever you saw a police man that those men and women would help you if you ever got into trouble.

Grew up without really knowing what i would do in life, i did always have childhood dreams about being a police officer, or a fireman. So eventualy, i went why the hell not. And pursued a career in the emergency services. Signed up for the royal fire academy and was approved for junior enrollment in 2008 started actual fire academy training for service in 2012 and graduated in late 2014. Been a volunteer ever since.
To pay the bills i followed an expermental government education course that aimed to prepare youngsters for the emergency services, or the military.
I followed and completed it and became a private security guard working for a company for 2 years before joining an internal security division for a coastal hospital. Been working there till now, keeping the peace and safeguarding the doctors and nurses and doing my best to protect those people.

As for subsim, i stumbled across this community when i was looking for advice on how to play silent hunter 4 that i got gifted and somehow got hooked on. I found it to be a lovely community. I hardly ever post, i tend to stick by the sidelines watching, creepily, behind the nearst bush with a pair of binocs.

So yeah, thats about it in a nutshell really, happy anniversary subsim!
IceMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 05:12 AM   #77
Gunthar
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 63
Default 1997

Back in 1997 i was still on my second year of tour of duty for the Greek Army, assigned to signal core and stationed in a remote island. Still on high alert due to last years problems, day in and day out routine posts, maintenance, reports. Best thing of it was the fresh fish out of the sea
Gunthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 05:26 AM   #78
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

At my age I have difficulty remembering what I did yesterday let alone 20 years ago.

On a serious note, it was the Year Princess Diana was killed which had a profound affect not just in the U.K but around the world.

Peter

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 01-29-17 at 06:28 AM.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 05:27 AM   #79
LordCucumber
Seaman

Downloads: 36

In 1997 I was 20 years old. I was in the Dutch variety of college, studying to be a history teacher. I also had my first girlfriend, who eventually turned out to be a very bad choice for me(you live and learn!). I played a lot of games back then, both on the computer as well as offline. Offline it was mostly Dungeons and Dragons and the like, and online I tried my hand at Doom (the very first one!) and Quake. For Doom I did a lot of custom level design back then (great fun!). I also played a lot of Civilization II, which I also modded back then, as I recall making very interesting World War 3 scenario including a boatload nuclear missile submarines. Any spare time left was spent on Colonization. Sim-wise I wasn't really doing much, though I'd just stopped playing Gunship 2000 in favor of all the games above, which was my favorite game up til 1996.

1997, sometimes I wish I could go back...
Old 01-27-17, 05:30 AM   #80
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300
Default Happy birthday SubSim

So many years back.
January 1997
I was on board the HS Nearxos D-219 an Adams class DDG reaching the end of my conscript time in the Hellenic Navy.
Stationed in the CIC of the ship I had a full 21 months time there , having eye witnessed the Imia crisis in 1996 up close and even a small fire en route with caused an injured crewman (mechanic). (The events are unrelated)
D-219 was the ex USS Waddell DDG-24
She is now resting at her final place , on the bottom of Suda bay Crete as she was used as a target with live fire.
Thank you

Happy birthday once more SUBSIM
VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 05:39 AM   #81
Mischa
Swabbie

Downloads: 305

Congratulations for 20 years SubSim !

In 1997 I was just in the trouble to replace big watercooled mainframes in our data center. One of the main problem were the belt driven external discs that were as big as a washing machine (30 GB capacity ) and need so many power that we only can start it disc by disc not to crash the power supplies.

Real "heavy metal" ...
Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 05:57 AM   #82
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

17 years old.
Back then lived in Varna, on the Black Sea.
I do not have specific memories from that particular year.
Let's see, the year before that, I left school, because my parents was incapable of withstand the family, so I started to work.
What else, I spend all my free time during the summer on the beaches.

I had an old computer, without internet.
The games, I was playing Master of Orion and Fallout.
At that time I had no interest on simulation games.
It came two years later, after my military service in naval forces.
Old 01-27-17, 07:00 AM   #83
Specbass
Watch

Downloads: 113

First of all:

Congratulations subsim! Here's to 20 years more!

Back in 97, I was 10 years old at the time. Because of a divorce, I went on holiday twice that year. To Ameland and to Texel. They're both small islands on the north and northwest coast of the Netherlands. Both holidays were extremely boring, because beaches and sunshine are overrated in my honest opinion. The holiday at Texel had a nice touch though. My mom took me and my sister to the Vlootdagen (Fleet Days), the Navy parade at the Navy port of Den Helder. We went aboard on a couple of frigates and stuff, and in a helicopter, all good fun.
Suddenly there she was, Zr Ms Dolfijn. One of the 4 Walrus Class submarines. I was immediately intrigued by it's shape and size (looks a lot like a Barbel class), and wanted to join the tour. Here's the bad part. There were 30 minute tours for 15 people, and over 200 people were standing in line. My mom didn't share my patience, and I never made it aboard

After submarines got my real attention a couple years I started to regret the fact I never did the tour. Walrus class submarines are one of the few blue water diesel-electrics still in service, and performed well in Bosnia and Somalia. I had some sort of personal redemption when I visited the navy museum and took a tour of the Potvis class Hr MS Tonijn 2 years ago, the diesel smell was still around after it's decommissioning 25 +- years ago.

Recap: 1997 started my interest in submarines.

Specbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 07:18 AM   #84
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

20 years...
In 1997 was 15 years old, 9th grade and seeing Dragon Ball Z on TV for the first time. Playing rst and of course, 688 (I) hunter killer!
Young, felling in love for the first time, a few stupid things and began to go out at night with friends.
Ah, went to London in a high-school trip, and mad great friendships for life.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 07:19 AM   #85
cyberangel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I started going to High School and got my first own PC (IBM 486 DX 66Mhz) and had the pleasure to experience all the classic DOS games. Windows 95 arrived much later for me and on my 130 MB drive it was taking too much space (version without Internet Explorer which had 54 MB ).
I remember listening to "Scooter - Wicked" album.
Oh, the memories.
Old 01-27-17, 07:36 AM   #86
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

Happy Birthday Uncle Onkel
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 07:39 AM   #87
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Holy Jeebus!

Way back in 1997....
Still married to a Russian girl.
Niki McBee was just a puppy.
Skipped a lot of class to play Aces of the Deep.
Still lived in Minnesota.
U-505 was still outside.
One year away from finding subsim.

Jim probably had hair....
Your location: Bungo STRAITS - oh dear, you cant get the staff!!
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 07:45 AM   #88
xatharas
Nub

Downloads: 105
Default 1997

In 1997 my one and only daughter was born! So that's a year I'll never forget
It was also the end of my silent hunter sessions of hours on end
Now that she's 19 (almost 20) I'm thinking of starting that uup again and so I'll need the advice of the experienced skippers

Keep up the good work
xatharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 08:03 AM   #89
rtp89
Nub

Downloads: 0

I bought my first computer, a HP Pavilion and used Prodigy dial-up. Discovered Subsim years later after buying Silent Hunter 3. Thank you for your hard work guys.
rtp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 08:06 AM   #90
donath
Swabbie

Downloads: 19
Default Happy Anniversary

In 1997 my wife and I got married. We celebrated our 20th anniversary this year (of course).
I was playing Sub Battle Simulator and Silent Service on my Apple IIGS.

Happy Anniversary Subsim!!!
donath is offline   Reply With Quote