SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Which video should receive the Peoples Choice Award?
Video SH4 (Riding the Waves) by Torpo65 12 19.05%
Enigma by Iceman 3 4.76%
Dolphin by Mr. Fleck 3 4.76%
Fate by Mr. Fleck 36 57.14%
87494739 (Silent Hunter 4 Night attack) by Finucan 2 3.17%
SH 4 movie contest Movie #1 (U979 Part 1) by 2ndBestKiller 3 4.76%
SH 4 movie contest Movie #2 (U 979 Part 2) by 2ndBestKiller 2 3.17%
Meeting with History by Chisum 2 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-09, 11:11 AM   #91
Mr.Fleck
Planesman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittelwaechter

My vote goes to Fate by Mr. Fleck - as it is simply brilliant and outstanding.
Storyline, camera, special effects, lighting, cut, sound - beyond all bounds.
You exceeded the possibilities of the game itself!

Thank you Mittelwächter for this high praise and for your comment! I'm glad you liked it.

Cheers!
Mr. Fleck

Newest addition:
"Fate": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-aoj-kWazs
Mr.Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 04:50 PM   #92
2ndBestKiller
Seaman

Downloads: 2

ok then will give my humble oppionion to some of the entries.

Today: Riding the waves by Tordo

the first two scenes are really amazing with this romtantic and warm sunrise (or sunset who knows) and the typogrphy you used (moving text). If there is any complain I would say that the very first scene is too static, some movement would have been great, but it gets better with the beach scene, which gives that amazing view towards the glaring sun. That was the best part of the whole movie imo.
The next transitions was pretty cool and went good with the music, I also liked the camera setting at this point, only complaint from my point would be the font of the text that doesnt quite fit with the font you used for the starting credits but ok thats just me.
Next scene: the brownish colorfilter ... well ... I dont know about that one, maybe you had a certain intention with it, but I didnt quite get it. It just seems to be out of place with the next scene being in color again. Similar things go for the camera placement. It didnt look too good to me in this scene, especially compared to the ones before, you didnt get the feeling of speed or being in a storm.
In the next scene you tried to give a way more intense feeling of "riding the waves" by placing the camera at the frint of your sub, what helped a lot to improve the scene. Complaint: the camera seemed a little bit too static again, some movement to the front could have brought some more dynamic into the shot, especially the first one in which you see a part of the bridge.
The next shoots are pretty good, I'm not sure if your sub was going full ahed, it seemed a bit slow, but if its not going faster thats not your fault.
The part with the screw was a good idea but again it lacked some dynamic, I guess a different shot in a different angle could do wonders, but its ok the way you did it, just space for improvement.
I liked the shot where you see the bow of the sub "cutting" through the waves, that was a good shot.
For the next shot... I'm not sire but is the sub not moving? It seems that way^^, ot its at least very slow, what is contrary to the scene before and after that one, where it is moving quiete fast. For the next shot you did something very good: camaer movement^^ , its a very dynamic shot, I liked it a lot, gives the feeling of an endless ocean and freedom, especially with the music in the backround, good shot.
Same goes for its successor, which calms down the speed (now you need the static camera, that was very good^^), again it created a good atmosphere (and I liked the seagulls, never seen that before, very nice). Pretty much the same goes for the next scene, only comlpaint here are jumps you editied. If the scene is too long just cut it away completely and bring something new, change the camera position. I think it wasn necesarry to see the whole sub going by, should have splitted it up into two scenes.
The seagulls, again, were awesome, very nice shot. The camera posiotion when the sub was going to dive was good, but again some more movement would have been great (camera going up or down or sideways, or zooming).
Then again, I wanst sure if your submarine was standing still underwater, but I guess, what doesnt make too much sense with it moving in the two fkanking scenes.
The shot from the insdie of the sub were very good, great camera movment, the opacity of the above layer wasbt perfect all the time, sometimes the changes happened to fast and you could see the backround too much for my taste, but overall good work here.
Now we get to something I to wrong all the times as well. Showing of the the enemy ships in a cool and dramatic way. I know its freaking difficult, but I have to criticise it anyway^^. It didnt seem that those ships are enemies, especially because they werent introduced properly. They just randomly appear. Later you have a scene were oyu look through the periscope while its sinking, you should have used it here to make clear that those ships are enemies. Biggest problem might have been the music at this point, I would have changed it to something a little bit darker.
Its like you are celebrating the death of those people, with this actually pretty cheerful music (and isnt that ship supposed to be a passenger ship -.-). Also no camera movement again, which is crucial for a scene like that. I mean torpedos, explosions, sinking ship, people dying. It all seems pretty unmotivated and as if you just put it in for the hell of it. In my oppinion the worst seen of the whole movie, not entierly bad, but compared to the rest pretty weak.
The first dynamic shot in this scene came when you had this cool camera shot where you see the waving flag and the sinking ship (I didnt like the zoom here but thats taste).
The shoots of the sinking ship were good and somehow rembered me of Titanic (which I think is a good movie^^), but again the music didnt fit. It would have really saved the whole part of this movie if you changed it some melancholic, dark, violin like sort of music or similar.
Something wierd: The ships sinks while the moon is going up and the next scene shows the other ship at a beautifull sunset (very good scene).
The part in which you can see the camera at the front of the ship is really good as well, I especially liked the panorama (same goes for the very last part where the sub is returning to its harbour), but it was too short and the next scene, which looks good, was too long.

Overall and if you take out the somehow unmotivated passanger ship attack, it was one of the best SH movies I've every seen. It was very atmospheric and had some great shots. At the beginning you really used the music flow and created a good cooperation between music and video. Sometimes I missed some dynamic and even if the shoots were very good it was a pitty to see the pontential the scene would have had.
The movie suffered from keeping the same music track until the end. Next time change it, or keep this wonderfull flow going and abandon any attacking scenes. And as I said, some more introduction to who and why you shoot would be good.

Other than that, great movie!

I hope you liked that little review of mine and maybe you can learn something for the next time, because I'm really looking forward seein more of you. If you improve some the things I mentioned, you would have the talent to create something incredible, keep it going.

Ok, I will do another review in Mr. Flecks movie due to its popularity among you guys and after that I will only do another review if you wish me to so so (dont expect it be that long, since its some work and I dont have too much time this weekend, but I really liked this one, so I decided to make that review a little bit more indepth)

cheers

Last edited by 2ndBestKiller; 03-05-09 at 05:00 PM.
2ndBestKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 05:41 PM   #93
Topo65
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 382

2ndBestKiller:

Thanks for your words and for see my video and analyst it. I dont speak english, but the translator say me the most important. I wish can reply, but my english is very poor, and sure I will not say my words very well.

I participated, but not to win, only to participate. But I use your words to improve my work next time. Mr. Fleck is the undisputed winner of this contest. I commented on YOUTUBE how much I liked their work (Tordo562). I am very happy, Tarjak, and SUBSIM was given to me the opportunity to participate from the other side of world.

Nothing more. Greetings.

P/D: Good luck for all other authors! Buena suerte para todos los demás autores, y es un placer inmeso para mí, poder haber participado en este concurso. Un gran saludo para toda esta maravillosa comunidad.
Topo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 08:32 PM   #94
Chisum
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo65
I participated, but not to win, only to participate.
Same for me and I think this is the most essential.

Chisum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 09:48 PM   #95
{1.SS}Eberhardt
Maschinist

Downloads: 3

Well if i had the skills and perseverance of all these fine movie makers i would have made an entry. I have actually started to work on a video (not about SHIII just U boats in general), i will post it up here once its done. Obviously its not for the contest just for ****s and grins.

Thanks to all the people who made videos and entered them in the contest, hats off to you.
{1.SS}Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 11:21 PM   #96
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
2ndBestKiller:

Thanks for your words and for see my video and analyst it. I dont speak english, but the translator say me the most important. I wish can reply, but my english is very poor, and sure I will not say my words very well.

I participated, but not to win, only to participate. But I use your words to improve my work next time. Mr. Fleck is the undisputed winner of this contest. I commented on YOUTUBE how much I liked their work (Tordo562). I am very happy, Tarjak, and SUBSIM was given to me the opportunity to participate from the other side of world.

Nothing more. Greetings.

P/D: Good luck for all other authors! Buena suerte para todos los demás autores, y es un placer inmeso para mí, poder haber participado en este concurso. Un gran saludo para toda esta maravillosa comunidad.

Great work! SH4 in HD looks great on the HD monitor! I liked the camera views while sailing on the high seas!
Old 03-06-09, 06:10 AM   #97
Mr.Fleck
Planesman

Quote:
Mr. Fleck is the undisputed winner of this contest.
Thank you for the confidence you have in my work, but the voting session is not over.

By the way I have not voted yet, I want to take a closer look at all the movies at the weekend, but I guess you'll get my vote since I like your movie very much!

Regards
Mr. Fleck

Newest addition:
Old 03-06-09, 06:14 AM   #98
Mr.Fleck
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisum
Quote:
I participated, but not to win, only to participate.
Same for me and I think this is the most essential.

Thats the spirit!

But at least for me there is also an other motivation. In the last years I got help here at forum or could download free mods. Many modders here work hard to make SH3 and other games still playable after years. So it's time to not only take but also give something back. For me giving back means making movies for the community.

Cheers!
Mr. Fleck

Newest addition:
Old 03-06-09, 07:49 AM   #99
Chisum
Seasoned Skipper

This is absolutly perfect. It's also the same for me, I can't creat a mod, I can't creat a skin, I can't creat a sounds bank but I want to give something to this wonderfull community.

Video is the only way I found to give something and I regrets the poor quality due I can only use WMM witch is too poor to make all I want.
I get also CS3 and Vegas but unable to understand how it works...

However, I voted and as you can see, not for me but for the movie I prefer.

PS: I still curious, how do you do to jump your U-Boot in "Dolphin" ???
Old 03-06-09, 09:17 AM   #100
Mr.Fleck
Planesman

Quote:
Video is the only way I found to give something and I regrets the poor quality due I can only use WMM witch is too poor to make all I want.
I get also CS3 and Vegas but unable to understand how it works...
You may want to search for tutorials on the web. I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 and watched some tutorials (also on youtube) to learn things. I know you don't feel comfortable at the beginning but later on it's rewarding.

Quote:
However, I voted and as you can see, not for me but for the movie I prefer.
Hint understood!

Quote:
PS: I still curious, how do you do to jump your U-Boot in "Dolphin" ???
I changed the power of the engines (diesel and electric), deepened the crush depth and modified torpedo speed and torpedo impact. Back then I used Timetravellers Mini Tweaker, nowadays I would have taken Skwasjers Silent 3ditor (as I have to modify the camera, T class sub, torpedo, etc. for "Fate").

After that it's only about timing to get the jumps right. For the jump over the cruiser I shot at least 20 scenes, until I were satisfied with the result.

Basically I started submerged at 200 meters, ordered Full ahead. I don't know the speed the boat reached in 2-3 secs but it was fast, so the pressure on the dive planes was big enough to get it vertical.

I could dig out an old version of my files, if you want to try it out. I think it was for type VIIB. The files are quite old so my modification shurely is not compatible to any of the big mods like GWX. PM me your mail address if you would like the files.

Regards
Mr. Fleck

Newest addition:
Old 03-06-09, 10:33 AM   #101
Chisum
Seasoned Skipper

What a job to make this dolphin jump Mr Fleck !
I think this movie should win an awards too.

And thanks to the YouTube suggest Herr Kaleun, it's a good way.

Old 03-06-09, 10:15 PM   #102
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Bravo! Good job, everyone.

Enigma by Iceman; Kudos on choice of subsim, Enigma. Nice to see a non-SH subsim represented, and the presentation looks great.

Riding the Waves by Torpo 653: Great concept, very good timing and transitions. Music is inspiring. Video really shows off the splendor and glory that is Silent Hunter 4.

Dolphin by Mr. Fleck: Awesome, I love Mr. Fleck's work. Ha ha, SH3 as flipper! I bet Otto had to spend a lot of reknown to get that kind of horsepower. Seems like the audio track was disabled. No matter, I just hummed the theme from Hogan's Heroes.

Fate by Mr. Fleck: Oh man, you can tell a lot of work went into this one. How amazing, has the feel of a real movie. Ha, when the plane strafes the U-boat, the watch ducks down. Ubisoft Romania are geniuses. Great voiceovers, staging, music, and camera work, really makes SH3 shine. Top notch work, even has a nice twist at the end.

Silent Hunter 4 Night Attack by Fincuan: Cool intro! Nice, solemn tone, music matches nicely. Nice joke at the end!

U979 Part1 and 2 by 2ndBestKiller: Damn, that Type XXI looks great! We sure have come a long way since Silent Service II and Aces of the Deep. Nice sunset shots, majestic music. Makes me long for the sea. Sweet segue into Das Boot audio and music. Good effects.

Meeting with History by Chisum: Wait, I thought this was about submarines.... nice compilation and corresponding historical text...wait, there may be a sub in this yet....nicely done.

Neal
SUBSIM

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 03-06-09 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typo
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 10:43 PM   #103
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fleck
Quote:
I want to say Good Luck to all.
Thats a knightly gesture.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for all the submittants! For me the most important thing in this contest is to motivate people to make their own U-Boat movies and movies about naval warfare. There are too less movies covering this topic and there should be more!

Cheers!
Mr. Fleck
Agreed! Next year I'm getting in on this, going to use Dangerous Waters to get a nuke subsim movie, to add some variety.
Old 03-06-09, 11:27 PM   #104
UnderseaLcpl
Silent Hunter

Although we are only permitted to vote for a general favorite, I really think that Torpo's entry should win best cinematography, and best soundtrack. Based on that alone, I voted for him for best overall. I think the entry was just stunning.

That being said, the main reason I voted for Torpo was that I had a hard time deciding amongst the other entries in all other categories. Enigma looked pretty damn cool, but the resolution of the video made it hard to tell. Probably a fault on my end. Dolphin also looked like it could be pretty funny, but I guess youtube removed the soundtrack, which kind of diminished the humor value.
Fate was ****ing awesome, possibly better than riding the waves, except in the categories of cinematography and soundtrack, imo. It was difficult to decide between the two, but Riding the Waves reached me on a more personal level.

2ndBestKiller should get mad props if nothing else for beautifully synching the Das Boot sounds with his video. The only reason I eliminated him from candidacy best overall was because of a nitpickiness towards historical accuracy.

Meeting with History, while really cool, was decidedly lacking in submarines. It's a bit of a cop-out judgement, and I am sorry for that, Chisum, but it was so hard to decide which video was the best, I had to start getting really picky.
For the record, you win the "Most Epic" award in my book.

After seeing all the entries, I'm glad that mine was plagued by technical difficulties and time constraints. I would have been quite embarrassed had I submitted mine

Thank you all for the effort and time you put into your entries. It may not mean much, but you entertained this skipper long enough to evoke the ire of his roomate for neglecting duty in the scullery
Good job, guys

I stole this sig from Task Force
UnderseaLcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 11:37 PM   #105
surf_ten
Loader

Downloads: 2

Wow, It's just amazes me the talent these folks possess. These movies are truely professional in their editing, visual presentation, soundtrack usage, and entertainment value. Outstanding job!
surf_ten is offline   Reply With Quote