SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-21-11, 09:25 PM   #31
Husksubsky
XO

Downloads: 254
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Thanks uekel

Yes - I have just checked in the task manager and the exe is flagged *32
I have win 7 64 with 6 gb Ram. I need this patch?what If I get 12 gb Ram?
Last time I brought this up it became concluded that I didn t need it. I m not familiar with these things but my rask manager showed "sh5.exe*32 " and I guess that means 32 bit.
windows 7 s own resource monitor showed approx 2.240 kb reserved for app by os and approx 2.000kb was working. Total in use was approx 3.600 kb and approx 2500 kb was available.
I guess it s that reserved by os that we want up. my gfx is 2 gig as well and according to TDW those 2 gigs will also be reserved.No idea how I can check that.

Last edited by Husksubsky; 12-22-11 at 12:54 AM.
Husksubsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 01:03 PM   #32
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husksubsky View Post
I have win 7 64 with 6 gb Ram. I need this patch?what If I get 12 gb Ram?
Sorry Husksubsky I am confused by this also - perhaps someone could explain this.

I assumed that with our 64bit system (mine is home prem) I could use up to 16GB ram.

But it looks like if the exe is running x86 (32bit) - we only get 4GB

Anyone know if this is correct
Old 12-22-11, 03:44 PM   #33
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

If an app is being ran in 32 bit mode on a 64bit system then by all accounts it should behave like it's running on a 32bit system. I don't know Windows7 architecture all that well but I do know that a 32bit exe cannot run on a 64bit system unless that system switches to 32bit mode for it (the wow64 part of Windows - wow is short for Windows on Windows). Being in 32bit mode then it should only have access to 2^32 or ~4GB of memory.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 05:30 PM   #34
Husksubsky
XO

Yes this disturbs me. I ll buy 12 gig. And I can do some testing. One thing I r4eally wonder about is where are those 2 gigs that my gfx card reserve from my memory? I think like this:
I have 6 GB .
My win 7 uses 1.5 gb (TDW says)
My gfx card uses 2 gig (TDW says) .we re now up to 3,5 and that means I Have
2.5 gb for my sh5.exe. No need for a patch since I don t have more mem to use.

But I fear it doesn t look like this in real life.
For example where does the GFX get its memory?Possible the system reserves in a way that the gfx card take from those 4 gb the sh 5.exe could have have used?

And if you say the 32* files can allredy use 4 gb why then a patch? The patch was for 32 bit systems wasn t it ? where the limit was 3gb? (thus the reason I was told I didn t need the patch last time)

I have win 7 ultimate
Old 12-22-11, 05:42 PM   #35
sparrs
A-ganger

Downloads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husksubsky View Post
Yes this disturbs me. I ll buy 12 gig. And I can do some testing. One thing I r4eally wonder about is where are those 2 gigs that my gfx card reserve from my memory? I think like this:
I have 6 GB .
My win 7 uses 1.5 gb (TDW says)
My gfx card uses 2 gig (TDW says) .we re now up to 3,5 and that means I Have
2.5 gb for my sh5.exe. No need for a patch since I don t have more mem to use.

But I fear it doesn t look like this in real life.
For example where does the GFX get its memory?Possible the system reserves in a way that the gfx card take from those 4 gb the sh 5.exe could have have used?

And if you say the 32* files can allredy use 4 gb why then a patch? The patch was for 32 bit systems wasn t it ? where the limit was 3gb? (thus the reason I was told I didn t need the patch last time)

I have win 7 ultimate
Same here:- Resource monitor says SH5 takes all available memory plus page file. I used the x64 memory patch, but I see no difference in the logs when I run SH5, although not looked too closely, but the game behaves the same (seemingly) as pre-x86 patch. In fact I upgraded to a x64 system to play this game with full 4Gig memory usage. I think the game, to run its fullest would need at minimum a dual core CPU, a decent GPU (Nvidia 9800 GTX+ onwards) and 4 Gig of RAM. I was running out of memory when I installed the sub interior mod (steelvikings) on the x86 system (I have a 4gig system with a 512MB card), that was the cause of odd stuff happening. FWIW.
sparrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 07:51 PM   #36
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I have 8 gigs of memory .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 09:25 PM   #37
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

I just re-installed SH5 after upgrading to Win7 64 Home Premium... my "analysis" looks just like Sobers... it is only recognizing 4GB. I have 8 GB + 1GB video RAM.

The other strange item on that same screen is it said my graphics driver is out of date. But I just downloaded the driver from Nvidia this past weekend after putting my rig back together...
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 12:03 AM   #38
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faamecanic View Post
I just re-installed SH5 after upgrading to Win7 64 Home Premium... my "analysis" looks just like Sobers... it is only recognizing 4GB. I have 8 GB + 1GB video RAM.

The other strange item on that same screen is it said my graphics driver is out of date. But I just downloaded the driver from Nvidia this past weekend after putting my rig back together...
I have the same "problem" with the graphic driver but i didn´t update the drivers and the game runs with no problems.

2500k , and Gforce 560 Ti

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 01:22 AM   #39
Husksubsky
XO

googled the video ram thingy and got some complicated answers. seem a gfx card uses addresses in the higher area(above 4 gig for me so I m well off with my 64 bit system). But it uses it s own memory too. I understood it something like it used memory addresses so the normal ram couldn t use it. (I m on thin ice here)There were some cards that was worse than others when it came to stealing memory.some turbocache was blacklisted as well as onboard videocards.

Last edited by Husksubsky; 12-26-11 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-24-11, 12:47 AM   #40
vlad29
XO

Downloads: 324

Hi guys!

Re. driver type detection:
Thats a known issue. Almost all users of nVidia cards now have driver version > 200. The game is old enough was developed for the drivers 190xxxx series. So in the message box (see Sober's post) the information is not displayed correctly. F.e., when I used 238.xx driver version, it was detected as 138.xxtoo oldDL ) But it's just a message (warning) box and have no any influence on the game-running process.

Re. RAM usage by video: I can confirm my nVidia GTX260 812 mb is stealing RAM. Nevertheless no negative issues (ctd, gamefreeze) detected dispite I've more than 80 mods (including 'heavy' mods earning lot's of RAM) installled
vlad29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 06:25 AM   #41
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad29 View Post
Hi guys!

Re. driver type detection:
Thats a known issue. Almost all users of nVidia cards now have driver version > 200. The game is old enough was developed for the drivers 190xxxx series. So in the message box (see Sober's post) the information is not displayed correctly. F.e., when I used 238.xx driver version, it was detected as 138.xxtoo oldDL ) But it's just a message (warning) box and have no any influence on the game-running process.

Re. RAM usage by video: I can confirm my nVidia GTX260 812 mb is stealing RAM. Nevertheless no negative issues (ctd, gamefreeze) detected dispite I've more than 80 mods (including 'heavy' mods earning lot's of RAM) installled
Thanks for the info Vlad
Old 12-24-11, 07:16 AM   #42
khdgermany
Swabbie

Downloads: 41

Thank you all from a sh5 newbie!
khdgermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 07:21 AM   #43
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by khdgermany View Post
Thank you all from a sh5 newbie!
Welcome to Subsim khdgermany
Old 12-25-11, 02:32 AM   #44
Commander Mysenses
Navy Dude

Location: AM98 - Rounding Hartland Point and sneaking up the Bristol Channel
Downloads: 137

First post needs a correction,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Bug Fixes
Boat can't maintain depth and Download here
This bug will not let your boat hold depth when you are very deep and have no speed.
Note:***under review - TDW may add this to his UI mad as an add-on***
TDW has included this in his UI mod now!
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...1&postcount=62
Commander Mysenses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 06:03 AM   #45
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Mysenses View Post
First post needs a correction,

TDW has included this in his UI mod now!
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...1&postcount=62
Ah yes - thanks Commander Mysenses

I think however - it was later removed as some did not want the fix. They thought that their boat should have problems with depth control when deep.

So - I have asked TDW and he has checked his files. The depth fix is out of date for his Ui mod but not enough to cause any issues.
So install depth fix after his Ui if you want the fix.
He will also make the depth fix an add-on with the next v of the Ui - this way it can be kept up to date.