SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-01-09, 11:27 AM   #961
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

I know this' been asked, but is that FH2? If so, how is it nowadays? I tried the first release back then and it was ok, but buggy and abit heavy.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 11:44 AM   #962
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
I know this' been asked, but is that FH2? If so, how is it nowadays? I tried the first release back then and it was ok, but buggy and abit heavy.
It is, and it's running pretty stable on my system. The only bug I've come across so far is a slight shader issue which was resolved by clearing my shaders cache in the My Documents BF folder, oh, and it seems to think that it crashes when I shut it down but by that point it's not really a problem.
Occasional CTDs but not particularly often on my machine.

Gameplay wise it's great fun, I think you'd love the sniper kit, I mean I can nail people with it quite easily so I dread to think what you could do with it! We've got Normandy maps now, Operations Totalize and Goodwood are good tank maps, but since German reinforcements depend on the number of flags captured there is sometimes a delay before Jerry gets the good stuff like the Panther and Tigers out, which can give the Brits a bit of an advantage, but it balances out and I've seen the Germans win as often as the British.
I enjoy finally having Iron sights on FH2 although by the time I've aimed down them someones usually taken my head off! Bayonets are handy but annoying that you can't actually fire your rifle whilst the Bayonet is fitted like you can in Red Orchestra, which is a bit of a disadvantage in Close Combat situations, in those times the Machine Gunner has the advantage.
I quite enjoy it, the only real problem I have with it is that the Iron sights function blurs the edges of the screen (which is a nod towards realism) but also seems to give me headaches, which is annoying. I might have to fiddle with the settings to stop that...but the gameplay (particularly when the teams work well) is good fun.
I haven't played many of the North African maps, the servers I play on (hslan and 79th) usually play Normandy maps.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 11:58 AM   #963
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Thanks, need to download and give it a try.

EDIT: Ah, now I remember why I stopped playing it. It has kit restrictions. I fricking hate kit restrictions! They do little more than make the game unplayable for people who just want to join in for a quick 20min fun with a certain weapon. Many many many many games before have had no restrictions and yet they havent turned into 20 MGs, assaults, snipers vs. 20 of the same kind battles. GAH!

Last edited by Dowly; 12-01-09 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-01-09, 04:00 PM   #964
Oberon
Lucky Jack

I know what you mean, it's bloody annoying that exactly when you need an MG42, some idiot is kekeke spraying it all over the field and not where it's bloomin' needed.

Anyway...

In the ferrets defence though, I was running in from the British direction having looped around, rusing the momentum of an ongoing attack to push forward and then come back to help defend that point.
Good game though, even if it always takes the Jerries bloody ages to get the first flag!
Old 12-01-09, 04:25 PM   #965
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Rofl!

Sorry about that. Like you said, you were coming from their lines and you proned immediately when I saw you and started to point that rifle of yours at me, so I shot you.

As for the FH2, it has come a long way since I last played it. They've definitely played their WWIIOL as there's sounds and some of the buildings are taken from it. And overall, it has the same chaotic feel to it that WWIIOL has when the battle is raging on it's fullest. It's like the arcade version of WWIIOL, the gameplay is smoother, but then again there's things I disliked and propably wont be playing the game that much for. Mainly the MGs, they REALLY should make them deployable anywhere regardless of your stance. Sucks to not be able to go to the 2nd floor of a building and fire the gun from up there because you have to be prone to fire it.

Buuuuut, it'll keep me busy for these few days before I get money to buy another 3 months subscribtion to WWIIOL.
Old 12-01-09, 04:43 PM   #966
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
When ferrets go wild: caught on camera.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 04:43 PM   #967
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Rofl!

Sorry about that. Like you said, you were coming from their lines and you proned immediately when I saw you and started to point that rifle of yours at me, so I shot you.

As for the FH2, it has come a long way since I last played it. They've definitely played their WWIIOL as there's sounds and some of the buildings are taken from it. And overall, it has the same chaotic feel to it that WWIIOL has when the battle is raging on it's fullest. It's like the arcade version of WWIIOL, the gameplay is smoother, but then again there's things I disliked and propably wont be playing the game that much for. Mainly the MGs, they REALLY should make them deployable anywhere regardless of your stance. Sucks to not be able to go to the 2nd floor of a building and fire the gun from up there because you have to be prone to fire it.

Buuuuut, it'll keep me busy for these few days before I get money to buy another 3 months subscribtion to WWIIOL.
I agree with you on the MG bit, that has really bugged me and caused me to get shot quite a few times, and I've seen other people mention it so with any luck they'll try and do something about that for the next patch.
I'll see you on the battlefield Herr Oberst Ferret
Old 12-01-09, 04:48 PM   #968
Dowly
Lucky Jack

And what's up with the tank drivers? That map we played (Tunisia?), I was minding my own business in one of the craters, watching as our troops got massacred wave after wave and then I heard engine sound coming closer, popped my head out and immediately had to go prone when some light tank cruised right on top of the crater. Right, so, awhile later I was back in that same crater and again some DUI tit came cruising over the crater!

Then I went to man the mortar and killed 3 of our own guys.
Old 12-01-09, 04:51 PM   #969
Biggles
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 5

Still think they should've kept going with FH1. The perfect mod, but it could be even better...
Old 12-01-09, 04:56 PM   #970
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
And what's up with the tank drivers? That map we played (Tunisia?), I was minding my own business in one of the craters, watching as our troops got massacred wave after wave and then I heard engine sound coming closer, popped my head out and immediately had to go prone when some light tank cruised right on top of the crater. Right, so, awhile later I was back in that same crater and again some DUI tit came cruising over the crater!

Then I went to man the mortar and killed 3 of our own guys.
I wondered how you got that minus score!!
Yes, some of the tank drivers really don't bother looking at the map, I've been run down a couple of times, in fact in that map I was nearly hit by that /10 Hanomag! The map was Fall of Tobruk, and yeah, it's a real sod to cover that first stretch of open ground, sometimes the Brits will bring their tanks right down and snipe you as you try to advance. The one tip for survival I found on that map is to use smoke grenades as the Spotter to advance, it's the only way you'll get forward without someone picking you off. I was quite lucky in one point, I took cover next to a wrecked Hanomag with smoke grenade ready and found it was an ammo resupplier, so I lobbed about five smoke grenades forward and created quite a nice smoke screen to advance in. Unfortunately a Tommy threw a Mills Bomb the other way so when I advanced I advanced vertically rather than horizontally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
Still think they should've kept going with FH1. The perfect mod, but it could be even better...
I'd still be playing FH1 and Battlegroup '42 especially as I thought that BG42 was fantastic...however the servers seem to be drying up, I used to play FH1 on the Damnedpriests server a lot, stopped playing for a while, came back and it had gone, I think the clan is still around as I see members on FH2 from time to time, but I haven't seen their server in ages, which is a shame as they were quite good. So, now that my machine will run BF2 I switched to FH2 and I've been playing it ever since.
Old 12-02-09, 02:06 AM   #971
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

2009 V8 Supercars on an '09(ish) textured Mount Panorama

Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 02:57 AM   #972
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Nice shot. What game is it from?
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 03:34 AM   #973
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

rFactor
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 06:25 AM   #974
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

Grabbing some air in a Boss 302 Mustang, also from rFactor:

Old 12-04-09, 06:02 PM   #975
Dowly
Lucky Jack

When in Panhard and you come against the mighty StuG...

...you dont go driving around in the open in hopes to outrun the 75mm shell!

Also, if you see your friend blow up into a smoldering wreck, you dont stay and try to duke it out, StuG wins you tit.

And whatever happens, you dont return in a new Somua 2 minutes after you got killed, I'll just kill you again.

Finished the mission with 5 enemy tanks KIA (3xSomua, Pan and, IIRC, H39 Hotchkiss) and two AT/AA guns.

But war isnt always nice... Here I am waiting in ambush between Peronne and Roisel. Between those two little forests, there is a road the enemy can use to haul in tanks to hit the flanks of our forces currently attacking Peronne. Coming on 1 hour and apart from the planes overhead, there's nothing.

Last edited by Dowly; 12-04-09 at 07:05 PM.