SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-13, 07:43 AM   #1
bertieck476
Chief

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default Need a new machine folks.

Hi folks, my ancient desktop fried that I used in my home office, I wasn't to worried as I have a laptop that I use for field service diagnostics and this was fine for my needs.
I recently decided to get back into SH3 and wish to install some of the supermods etc and my laptop with integrated graphics will be underpowered.

I have read some of the threads concerning xeons and mobo compatibility and I assume these concerns are for self builds, but a complete system should be ok?
Near me is a company who refurb ex corporate machines and they have complete xeon systems (incl monitor,keyboard,mouse,OS) that seem good value for what seem to me to be very powerful machines.

I have included the spec from their info and would like advice from someone more knowldgeable than me,this machine will ofcourse do all my home office duties with ease but will it be upto some gaming including a modded out sh3 and maybe some of the newer power hungry titles.

I would change the graphics card but would the OS have to be 64bit to utilise the 4gb ram?
Any observations or guidance would be much appreciated

Thanks Bert

Dell Precision 490 Workstation-Twin Xeon Dual 3.0 Ghz + 19 Inch
These very powerful systems are in good condition. With two high end Dual-Core 3.0 GHz Xeon processors, 4 GB RAM and a fast 136GB Hard Drive this system will handle all day to day tasks with ease. They also have PCI Express twin DVI graphics cards and they come with a 19 Inch TFT Monitor. Upgrades can be added by clicking on the boxes below. WE NOW OFFER AN UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 7 HOME OR PROFESSIONAL ON THIS SYSTEM!
Processor 2 x 3.0GHz Dual-Core Xeon 5160
RAM 4096 MB DDR II RAM
Monitor 19 Inch TFT Monitor
Graphics Card NVidia Quadro FX PCI-E Card TwinDVI
Hard Disk 136 GB SAS 15k RPM Hard Disk
Sound Card Onbaord Sound Chip + Speaker
Drives DVD-ReWriter Drive
DVD-ROM Drive
Ports 7 x USB II Ports (2 Front, 5 Rear)
Ethernet Port
PS-2 Ports
Dual DVI-Out
Serial/Parallel Port
Audio In/Out Front and Rear
Operating System Windows Vista Business Edition SP2
bertieck476 is offline   Reply With Quote