Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-13-06, 06:15 AM   #1
AG124
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default DftD 0.2.0- Error, and Ruined Settings

I got the latest version of DftD to run, and loaded into the "Show Vessels" screen. Suddenly, I got a strange graphics error (the entire screen suddenly looked like a blocked-out TV station with snow and lines running across it) and my laptop refused to respond. I had to restart it, and upon allowing scandisk to run, discovered that my firefox cache had become corrupted. I have now lost all of my internet settings, including important university bookmarks - I tried running system restore, but of course that didn't work. So far, I am not aware of anything else that has been destroyed.

What just happened with the program!?

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
http://www.thegreywolves.com/index.html
AG124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-06, 08:25 AM   #2
rconstruct
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Hi
Sorry to hear about that, but that can't be caused by dangerdeep for several reasons. But let's start by the graphics. You mention that you tried it on your laptop, we know there were some issues on some integrated graphics cards, intel chipsets, that caused the display of black zebra like stripes on the sky. Afaik, that was the only issue that was present in intel integrated graphics, even if you disabled the shaders, it was an hardware issue (and it never caused a crash, and even if it did, it would never hardcrash the machine, it would imediatly shutdown dangerdeep, as you had the opportunity to see for yourself, when you installed the data files in the wrong location - that's what could happen in the worst case scenario > imediate exit back to desktop > dangerdeep doesn't runs in kernel space). Now, regarding your problem, we've been doing some tests on release candidates for the past week, and we didn't found any problem like the one you mentioned (tested on windows too obviously ). I was just talking with the other developers, and from what you mention, it sounds like a buggy driver. Dangerdeep couldn't ever cause such a bad crash. In the worst case, dangerdeep itself would crash and return to desktop. The crash you mentioned could only be caused ay buggy drivers, or from the kernel itself, as normal processes (programs) can't reboot the machine, or crash it that bad. The data loss on hdd, caused by the hard crash, can be blamed on non-journaling filesystems. As to what causes the crash to be severe, i'm really sorry you had this situation in the first place, but, what triggered that series of events wasn't dangerdeep.
You might want to check if your drivers are the most recent, etc... perhaps you want to post your configuration in dangerdeep's forums as well.

Last edited by rconstruct; 10-13-06 at 08:31 AM.
rconstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-06, 09:17 AM   #3
AG124
Sea Lord

Alright, that seems to make sense.:hmm: I have been having video driver issues with SHIII and tools related to it as well.

BTW, here are the system specs for my Laptop:

Video Chipset - Intel 945GM, with latest drivers installed.
OS - Windows XP Home
Processor - Intel Centrino Duo 1.63 Ghz
RAM - 1024 MB

Also, I am pretty sure DftD 0.1.1 runs fine. I don't want to run another test right now though - even if the program is not responsible, I still don't want to run the risk of more lost data right now. At least I can find and bookmark the lost pages again.

You may want to look into this issue, as it may happen to someone else.:hmm:

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
Old 10-13-06, 09:55 AM   #4
rconstruct
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Hi Well, i had a huntch that it was an intel chipset issue, but still, that's a well documented problem, one of the developers also has a laptop with that chipset and graphics, and the worst that can happen, is the sky showing black stripes (seems intel's opengl implementation is missing something?). This happens with shaders enabled and/or disabled. As to the package release, we would never have released anything that could have caused such a crash, and to cause such a crash as the one you mentioned, you would need to crash something that has/have/had kernel access (my huntch, graphics driver). That's pretty much it, it's going to be extremely hard, if not impossible for us, to reproduce that, since the issue wasn't caused by dangerdeep to begin with, so, i would recomend for the time being not to run it on the intel graphics machine, or at least, not with those drivers. (and the ideal would be a machine with nvidia or ati graphics, for all the shader goodness )
rconstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-06, 10:21 PM   #5
AG124
Sea Lord

Default Error

Just want to say that it is definitely a driver error, and has NOTHING to do with Danger from the Deep. I noticed my display was getting screwed up all the time, and tried the museum again - this time it worked fine. Haven't had time to try the new version yet though, because of my law exams. I love the North Sands class freighter however.:p

I just wanted to post this to let people know there is nothing wrong with the game, and they don't need to worry about this problem before trying it out.

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE: