SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-23, 11:25 AM   #766
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Looks like the rats are starting to jump ship.

Quote:
With a general election approaching, some Conservative ministers fear they won’t just be out of government in 18 months’ time but ejected from the House of Commons altogether.

With that in mind, and talk of a reshuffle next Friday growing, some admit privately they have signalled a desire to move to the backbenches. Doing so allows them to start running down the clock on the up-to-two-year ban that can be imposed on taking up a private sector job after leaving Whitehall.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...18eb36fc&ei=12

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-23, 11:49 AM   #767
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

To think...this guy once had his finger on the UK nuclear deterrent
I presume you have some kind of failsafe like they have in USA ?

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-23, 12:14 PM   #768
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I presume you have some kind of failsafe like they have in USA ?

Markus
Man could never devise anything that would be 'Boris-proof'

Old 07-15-23, 04:31 AM   #769
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I'm struggling to keep an open mind regarding this story because my instincts are telling me there could be some merit in the subject matter....I sincerely hope those instincts are mistaken though.

Quote:
Joe Biden has been warned the "damage" he has done to the 'special relationship' between the UK and US now "cannot be undone while he is still president".

The US president, unlike his predecessor Donald Trump, has shown little interest in progressing a post-Brexit trade deal with the UK. He had publicly voiced his displeasure at the Government's stance on the Northern Ireland Protocol.

Last month, he skipped the Coronation of King Charles III and is reportedly pushing for European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen to be the next head of NATO - weeks after UK Defence Secretary Ben Wallace's candidacy was blocked by the White House.

The 80-year-old visited Britain earlier this week but he was in the country for less than a full day and spent less than an hour with Rishi Sunak at 10 Downing Street - a move that has angered many.

Nile Gardiner, a foreign policy expert and former aide to Lady Margaret Thatcher, told Daily Express US: "The trip was pointless. It was a brief stop on the way to the NATO summit and there was nothing of any substance from it.

"It just encapsulates Biden's overall approach to the UK, which is dismissive and a further illustration that he is no friend of Britain.

"He has been the most anti-Briitish president in the modern era. He's knifed Britain in the back on multiple occasions, from sinking a US-UK trade deal to most recently destroying the candidacy of Ben Wallace to be the next NATO Secretary-General.

"Biden has behaved in an appalling fashion and his visit to London - spending less than an hour with the Prime Minister and only a couple of hours with King Charles III at Windsor Castle.

Mr Biden has had to fend off fierce accusations over recent weeks that the US president is "anti-British", a claim the White House has publicly denied.

During talks with Mr Sunak on Monday, he insisted the 'special relationship' between the US and UK is "rock solid".

But in the eyes of Mr Gardiner, the US president's visit did absolutely nothing to silence the accusations he is "anti-British".

The foreign policy expert continued: "This wasn't even a minion state visit - it was just a brief stopover and Biden has done a great deal of damage to the 'special relationship' with the UK.

"I don't think that can be undone, at least while he is still president but it can be reversed when we have a new Conservative president who actually believes in the alliance with Britain, and Biden clearly doesn't.

"Nothing can be done to repair the damage that has been done while Biden is still president."

Mr Biden flew into London on Sunday evening before traveling to 10 Downing Street for talks with Prime Minister Rishi Sunak.

The two leaders sipped tea in the garden in front of the media, with a number of topics on the table in the short meeting, including support for Ukraine during the war with Russia.

The US President insisted the relationship between the US and the UK is "rock solid" while Mr Sunak said it was "great for us to carry on our conversation" following a string of meetings this year, including last month's visit to Washington.

The Prime Minister added: "We stand as two of the firmest allies in that alliance and I know we'll want to do everything we can to strengthen Euro-Atlantic security."

Mr Biden later tweeted a photo of him shaking hands with Mr Sunak on the steps of 10 Downing Street.

He wrote alongside the picture: "From 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue to 10 Downing Street - our two nations couldn't have a closer friend, nor a greater ally, than one another. United."

Downing Street later issued a statement announcing the two leaders had "agreed to hold the first high-level meeting between Number 10 and White House representatives in October to drive progress under the Atlantic Declaration".
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...6b66a612&ei=13

Old 07-15-23, 05:55 AM   #770
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

It obviously takes a madman to recognise another madman.

Quote:
The Kremlin has branded Boris Johnson an "idiot" who should be "admitted to a psychiatric hospital" over his views on admitting Ukraine to NATO.

Dmitry Medvedev, deputy head of Vladimir Putin’s security council, hit back at the former UK prime minister’s criticisms of Alliance leaders in failing to fast-track Ukraine's membership.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...257a36f7&ei=10

Old 07-15-23, 06:24 AM   #771
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
(...) is reportedly pushing for European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen to be the next head of NATO (...)
Queen of babbles, master of arrogance, - the HORROR! I never heard of this. I am shocked!

On Biden'S stance on the UK, it is known since long that he favours a Brexit arrangement not leaving Ireland at risk to fall back to not so good times. After all, he has Irish ancestors.

Nothing of this can be of a surprise for the UK.

And the special relationship? Already back at the war of 2003 I argued that the British side reads much more into it than the US. The US made pragmatic use of the UK, this, and nothing else. The gain for the UK? The sentimental memory of being a great and indispensable empire again.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-15-23 at 06:32 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-23, 08:36 AM   #772
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Queen of babbles, master of arrogance, - the HORROR! I never heard of this. I am shocked!

On Biden'S stance on the UK, it is known since long that he favours a Brexit arrangement not leaving Ireland at risk to fall back to not so good times. After all, he has Irish ancestors.

Nothing of this can be of a surprise for the UK.

And the special relationship? Already back at the war of 2003 I argued that the British side reads much more into it than the US. The US made pragmatic use of the UK, this, and nothing else. The gain for the UK? The sentimental memory of being a great and indispensable empire again.
Sadly.....you may well be right.

Old 07-15-23, 03:14 PM   #773
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

I would probably prefer not to share it all with the US, just in case.
Already in 2017 it was feared the Oval Office could become a centre for the broadcasting of information under Trump, for which spies have risked lives and liberty. Who knows how the next president will act

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-23, 05:09 AM   #774
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Yeah, China and Russia must be having a good laugh at the situation developing in front of them.

Old 07-16-23, 10:59 AM   #775
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Ben Wallace says he will step down as defence secretary at the next cabinet reshuffle after four years in the job.

He told the Sunday Times he would not stand at the next general election, but ruled out leaving "prematurely" and triggering a by-election.

Mr Wallace has served as defence secretary under three prime ministers and has played a high-profile role in the UK's response to the Ukraine war.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66213245
Hardly surprising when you consider the way he has been treated and the lack of any support from his spineless leader Rishi Sunak.

Old 07-17-23, 06:53 AM   #776
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

One way or the other can we just get this thing settled.

Probably the only topic Rishi can count on having a majority of public opinion in his favour.

Quote:
Rishi Sunak faces a crucial day of Parliamentary scrutiny over his plans to crack down Channel crossings of asylum seekers as his controversial “stop the boats” Bill returns to the Commons.

The Prime Minister has pegged his premiership on his promise to end the dangerous boat crossings – one of his oft-repeated five pledges – but he and Home Secretary Suella Braverman have hit hurdle after hurdle.

Today, the legislation returns to MPs after the Lords forced through a raft of amendments on issues such as child detention and trafficking.

Government insiders have briefed that they are confident the bill will be passed this week after a couple of days of back and forth between the Lords and Commons – with their hope that it will be signed off by Wednesday, before Parliament breaks for its summer holiday.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...963f8556&ei=18

Old 07-17-23, 07:56 AM   #777
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 07-17-23, 08:09 AM   #778
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Would it be a better Britain with the Labour in charge ?

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-23, 12:43 PM   #779
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Not too sure having left the party the day after Corbyn too control but I can't see them doing any worse than the Tories who have had about thirteen years to put matters right so far.

Old 07-19-23, 05:05 AM   #780
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

More financial madness from the UK government.

Quote:
Britain is set to hand India more foreign aid, it has emerged, just days after the country launched a rocket into space.

The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) sent New Delhi £33.4 million in overseas aid in 2022/23.

Its annual report reveals that the handouts are set to jump by 70 percent to £57 million in 2024/25.

John O'Connell, chief executive of the TaxPayers' Alliance, told The Telegraph: "The foreign aid debacle has been allowed to carry on for far too long.

"Arbitrary spending targets have seen untold millions sent abroad to fund spurious projects in countries with larger economies than our own.

"To create a fairer deal for taxpayers, ministers should scrap the target and make aid available when truly needed."

Details of the growing overseas aid to India come days after the country launched its third Moon mission.

If the Chandrayaan-3 spacecraft lands it will make New Delhi only the fourth country to do so - along with the US, the former Soviet Union and China.

China spent £200bn on arms last year. India launched a moon rocket recently. Do either of those sound like "developing nations" in need of British charity, asks Robert Taylor.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...4ad8bf91&ei=27