SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-13, 09:27 PM   #31
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
What would be considered "safe range" from exploding depth charge,historically? Range from which DC won't do any significant damage to sub hull except some shaking and playing with crew's nerves...Gap?
just a few additions to keysersoze's answer:

- "effective blast radius", i.e. the distance from the explosion at which a submarine will suffer probably fatal damage for US airborne depth charges was as follows: ca. 14 m for 325 lb bombs (explosive charge: 100 kg of TNT) and 17 m for 650 lb bombs (211 kg of TNT). Source: TM 9-1980 Bombs for Aircraft, 1944.

- the effective radius of underwater explosions depends essentially on explosive charge's type and weight, on explosion's depth, and on the max shock pressure that structures exposed to the explosion can sustain. Some interesting articles on the subject:

http://web.ornl.gov/~webworks/cppr/y...res/123612.pdf
http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/h.tan/pa...derwater-I.pdf

Explosive charges of British and US depth charges (also reported by keysersoze) can be found on navweaps:
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WAMBR_ASW.htm
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WAMUS_ASW.htm

Please note that all the calculations and graphs reported in the first two links are referred to TNT. For other explosives, you should convert their weight into TNT equivalents. Conversion factors for the most common WWII explosives can be found on Wikipedia and elsewhere on the web.

Sorry for the late reply

Last edited by gap; 09-07-13 at 09:42 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13, 05:38 AM   #32
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Tnx gap, that's a lot of informations...

Basically idea is, because now submarine have only 50 HP per single compartment, to further reduce DC strength to ,let's say, max HP value ~55, min HP ~ 3, with min splash range of ~ 5m and max ~20 m. In this way, DC will be very fearful (probably more then with stock damage modeling) and destroyers will take less damage from their own DC...I've done some testing in TDW FX update mission and i'm quite satisfied with results, although destroyers still taking damage, it's less then before and only when submarine is ~20m deep...

What do you guys think about this concept ?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13, 07:14 AM   #33
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172
Uploads: 0

Very good vdr1981 really good, thank you
tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13, 11:46 AM   #34
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Tnx for support tonschk!

Submarine sinking after excessive fire from destroyers...

Also, if someone have some link, some good reading about SH damage modeling,don't hesitate to post here...
Old 09-08-13, 11:40 PM   #35
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
And also, is there any quick way to tune down overall AI precission?this is really essential and in combination with this mod can provide us much more realistic game play.
AI guns' aiming accuracy: data/Cfg/Sim.cfg => [AI Cannons] and [AI AA guns] 'Max error angle'.

As for bombs/depth charges, to my knowledge there's not such a straightforward way to change AI accuracy, but I suppose that AI routines will affect it, especially for destroyers, to a much lesser extent for planes.

Quote:
- How to make periscopes and torpedo tubes unusable when damaged

Any help will be appreciated ...
have you tried editing their settings in UPCDataGE\UPCUnitsData\Equipment.upc?

Quote:
Basically idea is, because now submarine have only 50 HP per single compartment, to further reduce DC strength to ,let's say, max HP value ~55, min HP ~ 3, with min splash range of ~ 5m and max ~20 m. In this way, DC will be very fearful (probably more then with stock damage modeling) and destroyers will take less damage from their own DC...I've done some testing in TDW FX update mission and i'm quite satisfied with results, although destroyers still taking damage, it's less then before and only when submarine is ~20m deep...

What do you guys think about this concept ?
Sounds quite good to me

there are several other approaches which can be used to fix once and for all the problem of destroyers taking damage from their own depth charges the ones coming to my mind are:

- increasing min range of DC throwers/racks;
- decreasing DC's blast range;
- increasing DC's detonation depth;
- increasing the armor protection of destroyers' sterns;
- decreasing the size of destroyer's collision spheres and increasing their number, so to make them to follow sterns' profiles more closely.

The best approach is probably a mixture of the above.

On the other hand, I have my own ideas for a general rebalance of the stock damage model. Enumarating here the key concepts that my plan should be based on, would require a long post which I am not going to bother you with, unless you are really interested into hearing my abstruse dissertion on the topic

P.S: are you aware that we can add in game as many DC's/DC throwers as we want, so to simulate all the depth charges listed by keysersoze
Old 09-09-13, 02:34 AM   #36
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106

Isn't there a simpler way to deal with the problem, by making the destroyers invulnerable to their depth charges? Is it even possible to do this in the editor?
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 02:39 AM   #37
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartoris View Post
Isn't there a simpler way to deal with the problem, by making the destroyers invulnerable to their depth charges? Is it even possible to do this in the editor?
To the best of my knowledge no: SH games make no difference between enemy and friendly fire, which is realistic after all.
Old 09-09-13, 04:00 AM   #38
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
SH games make no difference between enemy and friendly fire, which is realistic after all.
tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 08:49 AM   #39
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
AI guns' aiming accuracy: data/Cfg/Sim.cfg => [AI Cannons] and [AI AA guns] 'Max error angle'.
It's not so simple... I tried that first but it looks like it hasn't any effect at all, i even set angle to 60...Still, elite destroyer shoots right between my eyes 7km away...

have you tried editing their settings in UPCDataGE\UPCUnitsData\Equipment.upc?

Also, not so simple... In order to make some equipment unusable or to remove from mother object you need to destroy their controller from .sim file or .zon file
. I manage to do that with propellers, rudders and dive planes but i still dont know how to "destroy" controlers from .sim file for periscopes , torpedo animation and deck gun...

On the other hand, I have my own ideas for a general rebalance of the stock damage model. Enumarating here the key concepts that my plan should be based on, would require a long post which I am not going to bother you with, unless you are really interested into hearing my abstruse dissertion on the topic
I'm interested , sure, but for now i would like to concentrate only for submarine damage...

And...No more sailing away after kiss from the torpedo...:P Maybe i should slow down sub's sinking little bit more?

P.S. Check tags...for more views, you know...

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-09-13 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-09-13, 09:44 AM   #40
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
It's not so simple... I tried that first but it looks like it hasn't any effect at all, i even set angle to 60...Still, elite destroyer shoots right between my eyes 7km away...
Is it the same at lower veterancy levels? Try playing with the following parameters and test again on stormy weather: Waves amplitude, Waves attenuation (Sim.cfg) and traverse/elevation tolerance (gun controllers). They should destabilize guns, making them lesser accurate

Quote:
Also, not so simple... In order to make some equipment unusable or to remove from mother object you need to destroy their controller from .sim file or .zon file
. I manage to do that with propellers, rudders and dive planes but i still dont know how to "destroy" controlers from .sim file for periscopes , torpedo animation and deck gun...
I don't get you here.To destroy a controller, you need to destroy its parent object (i.e. reducing its HP's to 0). In order to make deck gun, periscopes and torpedo tubes destructible, you should give them collision spheres and damage boxes. Some equipment have special zone types assigned through their damage box, and they start malfunctioning before their HP's are zeroed. IIRC, the efficency reduction for each damage level (percent of HP's depleted) is set in Equipment.upc. Within the same file, you can also set how long it will take to your maintenance crew to fix each equipment for any damage level, and the corresponding skill required for them to perform the repairs. Nonetheless, I think that the "limited functionality" status is only possible for few equipments. Some others might have just two conditions: operational and broken.

Quote:
And...No more sailing away after kiss from the torpedo...:P Maybe i should slow down sub's sinking little bit more?

cool

yes, maybe you should finetune boat's sinking speed.
Old 09-09-13, 10:34 AM   #41
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Yes, but problem is that stock model doesn't have any boxes for periscopes or torpedo tubes. I don't know which controller controls periscope movement, from where they're taking damage in the first place? What are parents objects for torpedo tubes, i cant put them to the main object(gr2) ,it will cause CTD. I know which controller do deck gun movement but i don't know how to link it with damage box, deck gun doesn't have it's own .zon file. Also, torpedo doors animation doesnt have it's own .zon file... I'm pretty much lost here...

For weapons, look for the controller (usually in the SIM file) that provides the definition to file the gun. Create a zone that, when destroyed, will destroy the gun controller.
I actually linked it to the wpn_Cannon controller. This is the one that controls the behavior for the gun. It's the same for the other guns.

Those are lines from the tread you gave me...i really dont know how to do that...

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-09-13 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-09-13, 11:09 AM   #42
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Reworked zones for type VIIc and added fuel tanks...
Old 09-09-13, 01:38 PM   #43
silentmichal
Frogman

Downloads: 241
Wow, I'm impressed how fast You're learning ...
Old 09-09-13, 03:11 PM   #44
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

If the guns cannot traverse vertically fast enough to keep up with the list/pitch of the ship then the guns wont be accurate .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 03:14 PM   #45
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Reworked zones for type VIIc and added fuel tanks...
Is this thread helpful .
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=182667
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote