Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-19, 10:43 AM   #1
Roki
Nub

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Showoff Problem with enigma

Hello I have samll issue with my enigma.

I completed both objectives in the first mission and I got a crypted message but if I take this 3 letters to get code from them I've got the number 313 which is incorrect becouse it's 1st September of 1939 and that number is classified to the Postsdam codes not Hydra and since I can't change to Potsdam I can't decode this message. I also saw that after the 1800 is the date 31.8 so I tried with using the August codes but it dodn't work. So I need someone to help me with decrypting it or to tell me what I'm doing wrong. I post the message below.

BDU 1800/31/8/1939
19_EQVI NXVE KFMN VHZJ ZFUD EMPW UPBQ PATK BWUW UGPC LFGW IXIY WAYV LUVX WKHV HSXG SCJX EQVI NXVE.
Roki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-19, 11:03 AM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

You always use the date on the enigma message. Yes the date is off from your current in game date. That’s ok.

If it still doesn’t work then recheck your decryption.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-19, 12:21 PM   #3
Roki
Nub

I've used the date of 1.09 but here's what I mentioned earlier it gives me the 313 number which is to high to be in the Hydra codes and I can't use the Potsdam codes becouse it hasn't been invented yet.

I've checked my decreption 6 times and it always give me the number of 313.
Old 03-29-19, 02:37 PM   #4
Mussalo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I believe I had the same issue on that same time period.
Just use the Hydra list and forget the number you decipherd.
Old 03-29-19, 11:45 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Roki!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-19, 03:37 AM   #6
Roki
Nub

Thanks guys for tips but nothing is working I'll probalby restart camapign or wait some time maybe something will update.
Old 04-09-19, 03:36 PM   #7
schwarzeritter
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 85

Hello everyone, despite being a member for many years, this is my first post in the Subsim community. Hopefully it is a helpful one. I have solved the problem with the August 31st, 1939 Enigma message not decoding properly as experienced by Roki. Since this is the first Enigma message encountered at the start of a fresh campaign, for the sake of new players, I put together a little guide to decode this particular message:

EQVI NXVG KFMN VHZJ ZFUD EMPW UPBQ PATK BWUW UGPC LFGW IXIY WAYV LUVX WKHV HSXG SCJX EQVI NXVG

The first part we need to do is isolate the first two groups and we stack them on top of each other in two columns:

EQVI NXVG becomes

E Q
V I
N X
V G

Now we open our Tauschtafelplan folder to find out which Gruppenliste we should use to determine which cipher will be used in decoding. The important thing here is to ensure that we're opening the correct Tauschtafelplan folder for the month the message was sent (in this case, August).

As we can see in the chart below, August is assigned the codeword Strom. Therefore, we'll change the Tauschtafelplan folder to Strom. If we do not do this, we will get the cipher gruppe 313 (Potsdam) instead of the correct 247 (Hydra) cipher.

Upon looking in our folder, we have two pages of bigram tables labelled 'A' and 'B' covering all 26 letters of the alphabet. Here we want to find the bigrams that match the two columns of our identifier groups:

E Q
V I
N X
V G

becomes:

E Q = K Q
V I = H M
N X = A Z
V G = I Q

Now we need to figure out which Gruppenliste page we want to use to determine which cipher to use in our decoding. This is done by subtracting the first letter of the first bigram we wrote down:

E Q = K Q
V I = H M
N X = A Z
V G = I Q

Becomes:

E Q = K Q
V I = H M
N X = A Z
V G = I Q

The remaining three letters in the column is what tells us our Gruppenliste. In this case, 'H'. Opening 'H' in the Gruppenliste book, we can see that H A I = 247. This falls into the range of Hydra (the only cipher operational in 1939).

We now open our Hydra codebook to the correct month and year (Remember, we are using the month the message was sent, not the month we're reading it):

This gives us the settings we'll need to setup our Enigma machine to decode our message:

When we open our Enigma machine, we will need to ensure that we replace the wheels with the correct ones for this message. As shown in the codebook, we will need to place the wheels in this order (the spare wheels are found in the bottom of the box):

B I VIII IV or B 1 8 4

We then setup our wheels as shown in the codebook.

B we set to A (default). I we set to S. VIII we set to E. IV we set to N.

We can now close the lid on the Enigma machine and get back to the keyboard side of the Enigma. The second page of the Hydra codebook gives us the plugboard and initial wheel positions for August 31st, 1939. We'll setup our Enigma accordingly:

Once this is setup, we will open up our decoding paper. We then take the four letters from our second identifier group column and type these letters in the Enigma:

E Q = K Q
V I = H M
N X = A Z
V G = I Q

So we will type Q M Z Q which will then translate to G D G B. This is the initial starting position of the wheels we will need to set in order to decode our message. This also acts to ensure our settings are correct. If we end up with letters other than G D G B, our resulting message will be gibberish. In which case, you will need to recheck your Enigma setup.

Now that the Enigma is set with G D G B, we can type the remainder of our message without the first two identifier groups at the beginning and the end of the message:

KFMN VHZJ ZFUD EMPW UPBQ PATK BWUW UGPC LFGW IXIY WAYV LUVX WKHV HSXG SCJX

With everything done correctly, our message should be displayed in four letter groups, becoming:

ATTACK ANY POLISH SHIPPING ENTERING OR LEAVING THE DANZIG BAY AREA XZZZ

If the message is displaying as gibberish instead, there is an error in your Enigma configuration and you'll have to review the steps to see if anything is out of order.

Last edited by schwarzeritter; 04-09-19 at 03:46 PM.
schwarzeritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 03:39 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Welcome aboard!

schwarzeritter

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 04-09-19, 05:54 PM   #9
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Roki and schwarzeritter
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

Sounds to me that your starting Enigma machine date is not 1939 but a later date 1940.
You need to use your scroll wheel for example to scroll back 1940 to 1939.

Hydra covers all the early missions.
Because Enigma is scripted the early encrypted Enigma message dates will always be 1939.
If you are at sea in the year 1940 which will be the same date as the BDU message you received.
You need to set your Enigma to the same scripted day, month, and year.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-22, 11:54 AM   #10
popfej
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 19
Default Enigma anomaly

Dear Captains,

I ran into a strange problem - an enigma message that contains the next movement in my current mission so it could important to continue the game.
So my problem is the date. The ingame date (and the time of the received message) is 1940-01-17.
The message date by DBU is 7/10/39.
To encrypt the message I have to use the DBU date but in the first book of the enigma (Doppelbuch...) where I have to chose the month (monat) I can't because the book stand on 1940 that I can't modify to 1939. In this way I can choose only moth from that year so I can't continue the encoding process.
Has somebody any idea what should I do? How could I fix it and get my order and to continue my mission/campain?
Thanks in advance!
popfej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-22, 12:12 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default welcome aboard!

popfej! The infamous 7-year-itch has forced you to the surface over a conundrum with your enigma??!

Old 05-05-22, 12:16 PM   #12
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by popfej View Post
Dear Captains,

I ran into a strange problem - an enigma message that contains the next movement in my current mission so it could important to continue the game.
So my problem is the date. The ingame date (and the time of the received message) is 1940-01-17.
The message date by DBU is 7/10/39.
To encrypt the message I have to use the DBU date but in the first book of the enigma (Doppelbuch...) where I have to chose the month (monat) I can't because the book stand on 1940 that I can't modify to 1939. In this way I can choose only moth from that year so I can't continue the encoding process.
Has somebody any idea what should I do? How could I fix it and get my order and to continue my mission/campain?
Thanks in advance!
Use your mouse scroll wheel to change the year indicated in the enigma interface.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-24, 08:42 AM   #13
murph0464
Nub

Hi all,

Just downloaded SH5 for the first time and I’m trying to do the Enigma machine. I get the steps and get the right answers, but when I input the encrypted message everything is great except the last thumb wheel moves up in the alphabet followed by the second wheel from the right after around four clicks. It is super frustrating and renders the mini game unplayable.

Anyone got a fix?
murph0464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-24, 12:08 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Welcome aboard!

murph0464! those damn thumb wheels can turn your enigma into a puzzling cunundrum!