SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-23-10, 12:21 PM   #91
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910
Uploads: 0

@IGD:

Do you get a little man "runner" icon in the top toolbar? It symbolizes "Run" the script. Pressing it should take you to the tools\script directory, where you must scroll down to your SH4toStellarium script.

(Do you see now why I said patience?) and off this thread?

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 01:00 PM   #92
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

I downloaded python 2.5.6. It is in my program x86 directory. What is the path to file that I am supposed to open. I cannot read any of the py files as it says either they are unsupported or corrupt. It is not the latter. This is extremely frustrating. It has go to be easier than this.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 03:14 PM   #93
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I downloaded python 2.5.6. It is in my program x86 directory. What is the path to file that I am supposed to open. I cannot read any of the py files as it says either they are unsupported or corrupt. It is not the latter. This is extremely frustrating. It has go to be easier than this.
Probably version 2.6.5, as 2.5.6 isn't an official release according to the website.

The difference with my installation is the default install location. Probably due to divine providence I chose not to install in Program Files. You know, Vista/Windows 7 peculiarity. Though I cannot exactly recall how I did that some months ago. I suggest you uninstall Python first and then reinstall (elsewhere).

But if Don1reed has a better idea then I don't want to mess up this conversation you have with him. It's complicated enough.

Last edited by Pisces; 08-23-10 at 03:46 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 03:36 PM   #94
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Naw, either way is good, Pisces. IGD cannot at this writing get Python to run at all. Until it runs, he's sol.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
Old 08-23-10, 03:58 PM   #95
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Pieces was correct on the version of Python. It is filed under the C directory -- in its own directory. I have no execution file, so I cannot open it. I tried a repair installation and that did nothing. I downloaded it from the link provided in this thread.
Old 08-23-10, 05:32 PM   #96
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default this is ridiculous

This b.s. First the thread begins with instructions that are for the most part impossible to follow. The thread does not advise on what order to install the various programs, what is essential, etc. As for python, it does not direct that is should be filed in its own directory. Python downloaded fine. But there is no execution file per the screen shot don reed sent to me. Is this program worth the trouble?
Old 08-23-10, 05:43 PM   #97
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Pieces was correct on the version of Python. It is filed under the C directory -- in its own directory. I have no execution file, so I cannot open it. I tried a repair installation and that did nothing. I downloaded it from the link provided in this thread.
Hold on! Which 'kind of Python' have you installed?

The original message has this link: http://www.activestate.com/activepython

The one that I used and is suggested in the latest tutorial is : http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.5/

The latest version is a couple of releases further, but 2.6.5 works for me. Your system is no doubt different so you might need some bugs fixed.

If you still use the same version and 'brand' as I have then your installation must be messed up. I certainly have 2 .exe files (python.exe and pythonw.exe) and some text documents in the rootfolder of this Python package. I can't remember if I forced the use of one of those .exe files when I double clicked on a .py file. I think it all should have gone automatically through the installer. Make sure you install the package deliberately with administrator credentials (rightclick on the installer, then "Run as Administrator").

[EDIT] p.s. I never installed the Windows extensions as suggested in the latest turorial pdf (the sourceforge link). I downloaded the windows version of the installer and that was it.

Last edited by Pisces; 08-23-10 at 06:00 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 06:09 PM   #98
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default already downloaded it.

As noted above, I downloaded python, and did from the site you linked. I downloaded the community edition. There is no exe file.
Old 08-24-10, 05:53 AM   #99
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
As noted above, I downloaded python, and did from the site you linked. I downloaded the community edition. There is no exe file.
Well, that is the Activestate Python version then. I have just installed that one aswel, aside from the other python.org edition. I had to install it into a seperate folder as it intended to put it into the C:\Python26 folder made for the other earlier install. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it by default. Everything worked perfectly: I could run the editor, named IDLE, through the shortcuts in the startmenu. (which really is a .bat file that runs the python executable with the propper command line options) The installer took care of file associations, so I just had to double click on the SH4toStellarium10-ssc.py file. It worked all normally including starting up of Stellarium.

You install of it must be FUBAR-ed. Uninstall it as best you can. Maybe their site has some more thurough procedures if you can't get rid of everything. Make sure you install the version appropriate for you system and OS kind. Meaning, I have a 64bit install of Windows 7, so I downloaded that x64 .msi file (.msi is an installer package for Windows) You may need the regular x86 installer. Check that on the properties page of "Computer". Be aware that you may need to install it deliberately as an Administrator (Run As Administrator). But I think I am repeating myself now. This is the only reason I can think of why it may have malfunctioned.
Old 08-24-10, 06:56 AM   #100
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

@IGD:

goto this subdirectory on your computer

C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\

then click on Pythonwin (Green worm icon)

If it opens your Python....Create a shortcut to your desk top...

-...-

It's been such a long time since I played around with this, I had forgotten where the EXE file was hiding.....Frustrating and frustrated

let us know.

Cheers

~ George Orwell
Old 08-24-10, 07:38 AM   #101
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

I was telling IGD that I also use an iMac with OS 10.4 and it has Python25 built in. Never noticed it 'til this week.

~ George Orwell
Old 08-24-10, 10:43 PM   #102
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Pieces

Don Reed and I got on the telephone. We found the python.exe file. We created a script file. We tried to run the scripts. It did not work, I think. Don Reed had to leave so we did not finish. I am waiting for Reed to email me to follow up. Even if all is correct, I have no idea what to do next. What do I plug into the date and time that pops up when we try to run the script. What changes/entries do I make to Stellarium?
Old 08-25-10, 04:43 AM   #103
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Don Reed and I got on the telephone. We found the python.exe file. We created a script file. We tried to run the scripts. It did not work, I think. Don Reed had to leave so we did not finish. I am waiting for Reed to email me to follow up. Even if all is correct, I have no idea what to do next. What do I plug into the date and time that pops up when we try to run the script. What changes/entries do I make to Stellarium?
Don't worry about what to do next in regard to input of the numbers for Stellarium. Pyhton needs to work first because doing it manually just doesn't cut it. It's too laboriously to compute the coordinates every time manually. And defeats the purpose of the celestial navigation attempt. Since you allready get to see and write your coordinates before you even make one starfix.

Good to hear Don Reed helped on the phone. I'm in the Netherlands so that wouldn't be much help. I guess it's just a matter of patience before you two can get in contact again and attempt to fix it. I know you feel like getting impatient. Whether the time spend was worth it in the end is something only you can say, afterwards. Celestial navigation is a hardcore technique, so dificulties are to be expected. But this software error should only be temporary.
Old 08-25-10, 06:49 AM   #104
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

'Morning all. Soon as I get the better half off and running--get a slug of java into my bilges, I'll be ready to have another go at it. It's Ante Meridian here at N39 x W90.

Admittedly, instructions presented via this medium can be confusing and easily misunderstood, particularly when arthritic fingers are thrown into the mix. lol. Sometimes the only way is eyeball to eyeball; but, in our case, IGD, the telephone will have to do.

I'm going to build a *.py script file for you this morning, one that I know works, only with your computer's parameters. I'll send it to you. We'll see if that doesn't make the grade.

I suspect the nuance is the fact your system is "Vista". Once we poke at it long enough, and find out what's acceptable to it...the process will be time consuming and tedious. So....

Caveat: If this doesn't work...

You may have to return to the Python.org site and get a different program, one more developed for your system.
Cheers.

~ George Orwell
Old 08-25-10, 05:53 PM   #105
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Great news, IGD.

I got Python and Stellarium 10.5 working Brilliantly.

Once all the pieces are put together. . .No problimo.

Later,

Don

~ George Orwell