SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-22, 07:17 PM   #1
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar Re: Radio noise...

With regards to the static noises when tuning in from 1 radio station channel, to another one... I know that some stations were close in on the radio wave spectrum, that there really wasn't time for that static to really kick in, but... for those that there was some time between going from 1 to another... would be nice to adjust that to compensate & sim that happening.

so... what would be the minimum time bell, that noise sound byte (aka static, popping whistling) kicks in... by..?

2ndly...

is there, an add in for the radio, that sims the click of it being kicked on & the hum sound of that old timey sound that I know of & recall when turning it on of the tubes in it, warming up... that any 1 knows of, to lay hands on.

It feels, kinda weird... to not be hearing that when it gets turned on, in game when you do turn it on.

3rd...

Anyone know of a sound clip/byte of that clicking/popping/hissing that sounds when a record gets, right after the needle from the record player is set down on the record.???

Any info on getting it set up so that its playing between record tuneage selections in the phonograph, would be appreciated.

Am working out on a sound mod that is adjusted rightly to include those... realisms into the mix just as they would have, back then.

Thanks.

M. M.
Old 01-12-22, 10:21 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

All three would be a pinch difficult MM, but for the firstly, one would hope that the ini file would be able to do it, but alas, it does not look like it can. The "noise.ogg" file is the one you hear between stations. It would be nice to have a "phase-shift" when tuning into or out of a station, and then that noise start, but also, the noise is the same, no matter where you are on the dial, or in the world, and could stand some variety there also. It is possible to replace that file though, and have a longer fade-in at the start, but it "sounds" like it is designed as a "loop" playback file.

The secondly, click and buzzing and then a tinny voice or music sound coming in then stronger and deeper as the tubes warm-up would be cool, but you would have to "hook" the "power-on" somehow. What else would be cool is the power-down cycle as the tubes cool and the sounds fade and gather distortion on the way. I don't know how one would do that though.

The thirdly is probably the "easiest" in finding a few different needle sounds, and then just appending one to the beginning and / or end of each of your audio files, and just make part of that playback, such that a 3 minute and 2 second song might have an extra 12 seconds up front of the needle "hunting the groove", and then 4 seconds on the end and the needle goes out to the return groove, for a total of 3 minutes and 18 seconds of the song. If you have something like Sound Forge or any other editor that does batch processing, you could set it up for a bunch of files to have one needle noise added to each, and then another batch for the next set of files and a different noise. The "problem" with that is that each time a given song plays, it always has the same lead-in and outro sounds. But definitely do-able. I have that sound on several of my old LP transfers to R-T-R tape, and the tape then years later transferred to computer and digitized many years ago. I ~think~ I have those on the big computer downstairs here. The main difference between my records and those of the forties would be the rpm used, of course... 78 vs. 33&1/3, but most audio editors could speed that up for a person also. You could have really worn records, or almost-pristine ones also...

Edit: I must have deleted some of my files as I got CD copies of the phonographs over the years, and I only have 8 songs left of the rips I did back when. Only one sounds bad, most of the others you hear the needle, but not much, and the one, you cannot hear a needle at all hardly. I did find this though:

https://orangefreesounds.com/record-...e-needle-drop/

I searched on "record needle noise sound effect" online and found a few other interesting ones. None sound like my moms old 78s though. I don't think anyone in the family still has those... Some you could tell were played quite a bit more than others, but none of hers were really all that bad...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 01-12-22 at 11:29 PM. Reason: web hit
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 02:36 AM   #3
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
All three would be a pinch difficult MM, but for the firstly, one would hope that the ini file would be able to do it, but alas, it does not look like it can. The "noise.ogg" file is the one you hear between stations. It would be nice to have a "phase-shift" when tuning into or out of a station, and then that noise start, but also, the noise is the same, no matter where you are on the dial, or in the world, and could stand some variety there also. It is possible to replace that file though, and have a longer fade-in at the start, but it "sounds" like it is designed as a "loop" playback file.

The secondly, click and buzzing and then a tinny voice or music sound coming in then stronger and deeper as the tubes warm-up would be cool, but you would have to "hook" the "power-on" somehow. What else would be cool is the power-down cycle as the tubes cool and the sounds fade and gather distortion on the way. I don't know how one would do that though.

The thirdly is probably the "easiest" in finding a few different needle sounds, and then just appending one to the beginning and / or end of each of your audio files, and just make part of that playback, such that a 3 minute and 2 second song might have an extra 12 seconds up front of the needle "hunting the groove", and then 4 seconds on the end and the needle goes out to the return groove, for a total of 3 minutes and 18 seconds of the song. If you have something like Sound Forge or any other editor that does batch processing, you could set it up for a bunch of files to have one needle noise added to each, and then another batch for the next set of files and a different noise. The "problem" with that is that each time a given song plays, it always has the same lead-in and outro sounds. But definitely do-able. I have that sound on several of my old LP transfers to R-T-R tape, and the tape then years later transferred to computer and digitized many years ago. I ~think~ I have those on the big computer downstairs here. The main difference between my records and those of the forties would be the rpm used, of course... 78 vs. 33&1/3, but most audio editors could speed that up for a person also. You could have really worn records, or almost-pristine ones also...

Edit: I must have deleted some of my files as I got CD copies of the phonographs over the years, and I only have 8 songs left of the rips I did back when. Only one sounds bad, most of the others you hear the needle, but not much, and the one, you cannot hear a needle at all hardly. I did find this though:

https://orangefreesounds.com/record-...e-needle-drop/

I searched on "record needle noise sound effect" online and found a few other interesting ones. None sound like my moms old 78s though. I don't think anyone in the family still has those... Some you could tell were played quite a bit more than others, but none of hers were really all that bad...
Interesting...

Hmm... yeah, that "noise" file.. is set up as a loop de loop... repeating loop, that when you 1st kick on the radio... it's already dead set at the very 1st "radio station" in the list.

am a bit... mortified, that I totally forgot about that fade out, fade in... when running through the dial to go from 1 station to another... before getting that funky static that would occur in the in between before getting to the next station on the dial.

Of course... in My defense, do have to admit, it has been some time since I really used one of them ol' fashioned tubie radio's. Many, many... moons.

It may... be possible, to reconfigure that sound loop, to include that fade out... the static noise... then the fade back in, but... the only downside, would be... if a stations, set to have some... longer station preset, before it kicks in... then that sound, is gonna sound even more messed up than what the loop is now.

Of course... to negate that, could... set the distance in the preset to a short set, to alleviate that. So that the fade out kicks in, then the static hiss/pop & then the fade back in.

The click, buzz then the tinny sounding beginning, before it levels out to the normal sound... as well as the powering down, you mentioned... which, I was thinking of as well... just.. didn't spell it all out, just a simplified mentioning of the absence of that when its cut on...

But, may be a bit more difficult to pull off then. A shame, but... like you, think it would be cool for it to be there... but, I am still learning on things...

Did locate this byte, by doing an expanded search... using the base of what you did, of "78 rpm record needle noise sound effect" online and found :

https://freesound.org/people/FreqMan/sounds/24961/

It may be that someone with more... editing experience, could use that as a means to add the couple of seconds on start/finish of the music clips for the gramophone.

As is, am good at grabbing mp3's... but... editing... is a whole different matter.

Was hoped it would or could be a simple matter like the "noise" loop, to inject it to play before & after a song... ahh well...

Back to the drawing board.

M. M.
Old 01-13-22, 04:15 PM   #4
propbeanie

Do this proggy: "Audacity Audio Editor" - there used to be an MP3 library for it also, but I haven't looked closely at the site lately. You can do multiple files, and slip and slide them about, such that by setting the "needle noise" to be in front of the music file, and then another slightly different "needle noise" at the end, and then some judicious use of fader envelopes on each of the files, have some graceful cross-fades and simulate it rather well, other than each you play that particular file, you always have the same needle noise lead-in and fade-out. Their "Help" system, such as it is, is all online, but you cannot argue with the price...

Old 01-13-22, 07:03 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Do this proggy: "Audacity Audio Editor" - there used to be an MP3 library for it also, but I haven't looked closely at the site lately. You can do multiple files, and slip and slide them about, such that by setting the "needle noise" to be in front of the music file, and then another slightly different "needle noise" at the end, and then some judicious use of fader envelopes on each of the files, have some graceful cross-fades and simulate it rather well, other than each you play that particular file, you always have the same needle noise lead-in and fade-out. Their "Help" system, such as it is, is all online, but you cannot argue with the price...
Get some... time, shall look into that, there propbeanie.

Thanks.

Listened to a recording of a song & noted that the needle scratch/hiss/pop.. was strong, a bit... just before the music started... was still a tad... noticeable while the music was playing with some areas the needle noise was a bit... strong but not enough to override the music... before dropping back to a... dull roar, as it were. Finally, when the song reached it's... climax, then the pickup of the needle noise again... before it reached its own climax.

Gonna have to really study that, & see if I can reproduce that...

*sighs*

Would be a whole lot... simpler... if there were actual songs that had been recorded, just as from the actual real deal, being played on a 78 rpm record player... still left around from back then.

May... look into seeing if I can't locate any that actually survived the tampering to get rid of the hiss/pop needle noise... still around.

See of... attacking this, from 2 different angles...

M. M.
Old 01-13-22, 08:53 PM   #6
propbeanie

There are some songs like that online, though I have not seen them lately. I was going to do similar to my idea there for my "gramophone". My dad told me that he had a fellow on his LST as they were going across from the canal to Noumea, that had a Benny Goodman "album", which back then was a bunch of 78rpm lacquer records in a "book", like a photo album, with "leaf" sleeves that held the records. Dad said the fellow would not let just anyone touch them, and was very careful to NOT play the records while at sea and moving, only while docked and calm weather... lol - so technically, if you have a music aficionado in the crew, then he would only play his records while at deep submergence, and they would be near-noiseless. While the fellow who just wanted to hear his tunes, would play them anytime the enemy wasn't around, and his records would be more scratchie sounding... That would be me - "ROCK 'N' ROLL!!!!" lol - or maybe Black Dog...