SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-22-21, 10:31 AM   #2491
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotato1337 View Post
Im not sure if its been mentioned before (it probably has but im lazy, apologies), which U-Boats are planned to be added initially, and is there plans to add any more after release? The Type U-139 would be amusing with its substantial deck gun armament
Try reading... through the last, ohhh.... 5... 10 pages, starting with page 156 & working forward... think it is a couple of posts that covers that relevant topic, quite nicely I might add, too...

M. M.
Old 12-22-21, 11:14 AM   #2492
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Yes, the U-139 cruiser type will be included....so you will get to take on Allied ships with the big 5.9" guns.

Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt - thank you for your message! I will have a very important private message for you coming soon, so watch out for it.

Again, unfortunately no screenshots but some very important milestones are being reached.

-One big breakthrough: I stumbled on an entirely new way to generate prize warfare screens! Before I was going to use a clumsy particle generator - the new method allows for more different goods/encounters to be displayed very easily, AND it forces the player to come close to the enemy merchant to see what she's carrying. I use the minimum render dimension and camera controllers in S3ditor so that the manifest screen is only visible at close range and when you are on the surface. This guarantees you may be suddenly fighting for your life if the merchant is really a Q-Ship! Best of all, cheating by looking at the manifest screen in free camera will be IMPOSSIBLE!

I will use the same screen method for random encounters where you can rescue passengers from lifeboats, capture spies, pick up secret papers from debris, etc.

-WOTK's water is almost complete! After many months of toil I have developed my own water influenced by SH4 & SH5 environmental mods and UBOOT's water. There will be a more "sea green" variant you can add in as a mod.

-Work continues on polishing the new U-35, which is now almost completely textured with an AO map and 3d hull rivets.

-I am working on changing dates throughout the game.

-I am gathering plans for the merchant ships SS Californian and SS Storstad, which will be the basis for the generic Heavy Merchant and Heavy Collier type ships. Rest assured there will be dozens and dozens of different bridge/funnel/lifeboat arrangements and paint schemes for each merchant, collier, tanker, and ore carrier type to make the random ship encounters more interesting. Again, you will need to be careful that ships with neutral flags are not Q-Ships!

Last edited by iambecomelife; 12-22-21 at 11:33 AM.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 06:18 PM   #2493
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 162
Default Important News

IABL, we just finished our work on sounds; I sent them to you by PM

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 10:09 AM   #2494
中国水兵

Any news ?

Old 01-19-22, 01:14 AM   #2495
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
Any news ?
You bet!

I was sick for a few days with a cold but now recovered, the following things have been worked on:

-More tweaking of the new U-31 model

-Improving the water even more; water is inspired by SH5 and the game UBoat. I have found that many mods don't make the water choppy enough. My modification increases wave speed/naturalness and gets rid of the "blue taffy" or "liquid metal" looking water in stock SH4.

-Examining UPC files so that you can equip your sub with proper deck guns.
Planned deck gun roster will definitely include the following:

-8mm MG

-37mm Cannon

-88mm Gun

-105mm Gun

-150mm Gun (for U-139)

Some people say the UB-I class couldn't have a deck gun; this is incorrect because at least one was fitted with the 37mm gun. Not a great gun, but better than nothing.

For comparison purposes - the original model of U-31 class that was going to be included in the mod ...

Old 01-19-22, 01:26 AM   #2496
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

...and a somewhat more advanced version - working on it now. Note that it and the battleship in the background have various errors; I am constantly correcting things when I have time off from work. Be sure to click on the images for larger versions.

Old 01-19-22, 01:27 AM   #2497
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Old 01-19-22, 01:28 AM   #2498
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Old 01-19-22, 03:20 AM   #2499
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post

Gorgeous work.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-22, 03:38 AM   #2500
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 702
Uploads: 37

awesome details! incredible work
vickers03 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-22, 04:18 AM   #2501
中国水兵

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
You bet!

I was sick for a few days with a cold but now recovered, the following things have been worked on:

-More tweaking of the new U-31 model

-Improving the water even more; water is inspired by SH5 and the game UBoat. I have found that many mods don't make the water choppy enough. My modification increases wave speed/naturalness and gets rid of the "blue taffy" or "liquid metal" looking water in stock SH4.

-Examining UPC files so that you can equip your sub with proper deck guns.
Planned deck gun roster will definitely include the following:

-8mm MG

-37mm Cannon

-88mm Gun

-105mm Gun

-150mm Gun (for U-139)

Some people say the UB-I class couldn't have a deck gun; this is incorrect because at least one was fitted with the 37mm gun. Not a great gun, but better than nothing.
I am very sorry you have been sick; I hope you get your strength back soon

Your work is gorgeous as always
I really love the new Type 31 ( there'll be a gray/black paint scheme too ?) and the water colors, but I have some dubts about the gun roster: are you sure you want use the 3.7 SF L/14.5 ?
I ask this, bacuse yes, one was used by UB-14 (I think, but not entierly sure hahah ), but the main small gun used by u-boats was this one

The 5cm SK L/40 Quick Firing Gun.
It was mainly a Torpedo-boat's gun, but it was also used as first surface weapon by many early subs until Nov 1915 [ Type 9, Type 13, Type 17 and some souces indicate even Type 19 (not to much sure about the last one)] and was used until summer 1916 by Type B2.
Type B-1 also used this gun: the first one to use it were the to boat sent by train to the Adriatic and used this gun until they were tranferred to Austria-Hungariy; the remaining boats (except of UB-2) were all fitted with this gun by the end of 1916.
I used the sound of that gun in the sound pack I sent to you.
Talking about sounds, have you recieved them ? Could be they be usefull for your work, or do you want I add something more ?
PS: one of them is not "good nominated" ( for "big Ammos Explosion", I meant the explosion of a munition ship, not the shell)

Old 01-19-22, 03:30 PM   #2502
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
I am very sorry you have been sick; I hope you get your strength back soon

Your work is gorgeous as always
I really love the new Type 31 ( there'll be a gray/black paint scheme too ?) and the water colors, but I have some dubts about the gun roster: are you sure you want use the 3.7 SF L/14.5 ?
I ask this, bacuse yes, one was used by UB-14 (I think, but not entierly sure hahah ), but the main small gun used by u-boats was this one

The 5cm SK L/40 Quick Firing Gun.
It was mainly a Torpedo-boat's gun, but it was also used as first surface weapon by many early subs until Nov 1915 [ Type 9, Type 13, Type 17 and some souces indicate even Type 19 (not to much sure about the last one)] and was used until summer 1916 by Type B2.
Type B-1 also used this gun: the first one to use it were the to boat sent by train to the Adriatic and used this gun until they were tranferred to Austria-Hungariy; the remaining boats (except of UB-2) were all fitted with this gun by the end of 1916.
I used the sound of that gun in the sound pack I sent to you.
Talking about sounds, have you recieved them ? Could be they be usefull for your work, or do you want I add something more ?
PS: one of them is not "good nominated" ( for "big Ammos Explosion", I meant the explosion of a munition ship, not the shell)
Thanks much for the pictures! And I didn't know about the 50mm being used by the UB-I type; I will include it. There are more than enough existing gun slots for it.

The round weight of the 50mm made it much better for attacking surface ships (though still not as good as an 88mm or 105mm).

If anyone has pics of old-fashioned 88mm, please let me know. I already have the pictures for the one in a Canadian museum (posted earlier on this thread).

And yes, the sounds are very useful and I will try to use as many as possible.

Hang in there boys, soon you will see the new versions of more submarines and many other mod features. I know this has taken long but I have more time off and less family obligations - again, hang in there
Old 01-21-22, 02:02 PM   #2503
Torpex77
Helmsman

Downloads: 72

This is Excellent Work!!!
Old 01-21-22, 02:42 PM   #2504
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpex77 View Post
This is Excellent Work!!!
Thanks! There will be more screenshots later today, I was working on a little surprise last night.
Old 01-21-22, 11:05 PM   #2505
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Tired of bare, lonely decks when you return to port after a successful mission?

Miss having the boys "man the rail"? Like in Aces of the Deep, SH3, and a certain movie I'm sure nobody here has heard of?

Well, Wolves of the Kaiser has got you covered...
An easy addition - just tweak the standard SH4 snorkel and add visibleunderwater controllers via S3D. Yes, they appear and disappear with no problem by pressing the "I" key ... so you will not have crew on deck throughout combat & at inappropriate times.

Will likely add several animated crew, and will polish up the models a bit, depending on the final framerates. Working on animated crew bodies now. A related plan is for simple animation of crew on the submarine walking through compartments - doing a few easily modeled tasks like serving coffee, oiling parts, and cleaning floors.

I already have a walking and panic/running animated surface ship figure that I will post images/video of later - higher detail than the standard SH3/SH4 AI ship crew. It works well and will be adapted to the many different sailors/soldiers/snobby 1st class passengers/refugees/fishermen for the ships you encounter.

The way I see it, no reason not to adapt it to the player's submarine.