SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-24-21, 10:50 PM   #16
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Happy bird day...

M. M.
Old 11-24-21, 10:51 PM   #17
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Was it on the KillFlags site maybe? nutz, I can't find it on the wayback machine anymore... I'll have to fire up the old computer in the corner tomorrow and look over there.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-21, 11:28 PM   #18
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Was it on the KillFlags site maybe? nutz, I can't find it on the wayback machine anymore... I'll have to fire up the old computer in the corner tomorrow and look over there.
don't hurt yourself, now.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-21, 09:45 AM   #19
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Ah yes I should have been a bit more clear lol. I know the hull numbers, but am
looking for the artwork, for paint scheme (as pictured at the link below) with the hull numbers painted in white on the conning tower and bow etc of pre war Tambor, Gar Sargo, Salmon, and S boats if applicable. Need them for 1941 as my pre war campaign start begins in June 1941 and planned new construction career in Tambor-Gar class will start in late 1940 early 1941. Of course, will transition to the normal paint scheme, showing the numbers painted over after Pearl Harbor or just before, still trying to ascertain when the numbers were painted over, prior to or just before as writing was on the wall for the opening of hostilities.

Hope you can find it, will be great if some already exist that work with TMO, otherwise hoping some of our talented artists here at subsim will jump into action lol.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-21, 11:54 AM   #20
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Ah yes I should have been a bit more clear lol. I know the hull numbers, but am
looking for the artwork, for paint scheme (as pictured at the link below) with the hull numbers painted in white on the conning tower and bow etc of pre war Tambor, Gar Sargo, Salmon, and S boats if applicable. Need them for 1941 as my pre war campaign start begins in June 1941 and planned new construction career in Tambor-Gar class will start in late 1940 early 1941. Of course, will transition to the normal paint scheme, showing the numbers painted over after Pearl Harbor or just before, still trying to ascertain when the numbers were painted over, prior to or just before as writing was on the wall for the opening of hostilities.

Hope you can find it, will be great if some already exist that work with TMO, otherwise hoping some of our talented artists here at subsim will jump into action lol.
Know that, some of the warships sport their #'s on the bow of them... as I recall. Can't tell you what mod or mod set did that... as there has been so many, starting off with the earlier SH4 version's on up... mhmm.. think v1.4 was the last version, as I don't recall seeing any mention of mods for v1.5 of SH4. (Not going to swear to that, 100% )

If those could be located... could possibly use them as a basis for that... would need some editing of the #'s, as well as size of them, then reconfigure their placement parameters to work on their placement on the subs from there... then is just a matter of figuring out when they got removed & having that occur in sim/game at the right time (or as is close to right, as it allows... knowing that it's not 100% spot on... as is well known, with some of the other issues of occurrences, such as not having access to upgrades rightly, base reassignments going awry... things of that nature...)

Hope this bit of info helps...

M. M.
Old 11-25-21, 03:43 PM   #21
propbeanie

Look at my signature, of the FotRSU splash screen shot, which is from cdrsubron7. There is the number "400" on the jull, for the Balao Class Sea Devil boat. I asked him years ago - prior to my 'propbeanie' name (long-lost original name forever gone into the depths of grey matter), and probably his being over at the Ubisoft forums where he was a mod at the time - how he had numbers on the hull, and he pointed me to the mod, probably the one your are referring to MM. From what I remember, it was like the Kill Flags roll-your-own kit in that the user input his own number, which was then loaded as a mini-mod through JSGME - possibly...

The computer in the corner KM, is thus far not divulging any "secrets"... but it seems to me that there was a node on either side of the boat, and the ambient occlusion was used for the number - but don't take my word for that... I mean, after all, I did point you all to a "numbers" mod... just not anywhere near the correct one...

Old 11-26-21, 12:19 PM   #22
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

The ambient occlusion layer can be used to add shadows, so you can put a number on in black only. The texture map for the sub is used on both sides, so any numbers will be OK on one side and reversed on the other side.

You could do this by having a flat rectangle 3d model and position it on the sub and have that rectangle have a unique texture with transparency on the alpha. You could even have this as a piece of equipment with available from and to dates. Then you could make it disappear after a certain date. Does equipment on your sub stay on the sub if you are on patrol and the end date arrives? Is it removed automatically?

I did read that the numbers were cut from steel and welded to the sides on the earlier pre-war launched boats, not just painted on.
Old 11-26-21, 07:31 PM   #23
propbeanie

My gosh, now you know definitely why I am not any good at 3D or skins... I can't even get the terminology straight, much less deal with it in any editor of any kind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
The ambient occlusion layer can be used to add shadows, so you can put a number on in black only ... have a unique texture with transparency on the alpha. You could even have this as a piece of equipment with available from and to dates...
Exactly... lol - s7rikeback and others have to come behind me and clean up the messes I make... Jeff-Groves helped us the last time with this, and now I can't find my Mickey Mouse DD anymore... Jeff built us a DD with that technique, and Mickey Mouse on the side for illustrative purposes. If I only had a brain...