Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-09-20, 03:46 PM   #1
Eragon333
Watch

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 0
Default Torp shooting with angle always miss

Hi Kaleuns!

Shooting from a 90° degree angle with gyro at 0 works like a charme.
Now I want to learn to shot with a angle. In theorie it should be the same.
Get distance, AOB, speed...look where the torp hit at 90° and hold the target with solution from TDC.

my problem: the torp always miss the ship at the front. I think the reason for this is that the torp goes straight forward for a moment before turn to the 90° angle. How can I calculate to prevent this?

Thank you guys!
Eragon333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 03:55 PM   #2
Drakken
Planesman

Downloads: 65

Do not forget that you are not shooting from your crosshair. The larger the gyroangle, the more time it takes to correct for the parallax effect. Also, I see from your picture that you are shooting from very, very close range. You have to account the torpedo's speed and the resistence of water against the torpedo itself. It takes time for the gyro correction to become effective.

The solution would be either to lessen your gyroangle to +/-10 degrees, or shoot from further away (like 1200-1500 meters)

Last edited by Drakken; 12-09-20 at 04:15 PM.
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 04:08 PM   #3
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
Also, do not forget that you are not shooting from your crosshair. The larger the gyroangle, the more time it takes to correct for the parallax effect. Also, I see from your picture that you are shooting from very, very close range. You have to account the torpedo's speed and the resistence of water against the torpedo itself. It takes time for the gyro correction to become effective.

The solution would be either to lessen your gyroangle to +/-10 degrees, or shoot from further away (like 1200-1500 meters)
Drakken is right - the larger your gyro angle, the larger the parallax error, which is exacerbated the closer the range is. In other words, as suggested, minimize your gyro angle (in which case your range input is pretty much irrelevant). If you must fire at higher gyros, then either do so at longer range with a fair-to-middling range estimate, or at close range with an VERY accurate range estimate.

I did the following video using Wolfpack to show how to fire an angled shot without the aid of the TDC, which highlights what we are talking about hopefully pretty well. Pay particular attention to the aimoffoff that I have to do, that’s the correction for parallax that the TDC does. This video is mostly for instructional purposes, in practice, definitely use the TDC, but it’s good to understand what it’s doing.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 05:06 PM   #4
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Also, are you calculating the AOB of the target correctly?

By what you describe it sounds like you are aiming at a point in crosshair and not calculating the full solution.

Information needed:

1) Target speed

2) Target AOB

3) Target range

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 02:05 AM   #5
Eragon333
Watch

Thanks for every answer! You all helped me a lot!

And yes the AOB should be correct also Iam sure Iam using the full solution.

For my tests I always aimed for the chimney and the torp crossed always some meters in front of the bow.

SO with parallax error you mean the red line? Doesnt the TDC calculate the distance of submarin the the turn point?

Will do some more screenshots today.

Last edited by Eragon333; 12-10-20 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-10-20, 05:21 AM   #6
Sickents
Watch

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon333 View Post
Thanks for every answer! You all helped me a lot!

And yes the AOB should be correct also Iam sure Iam using the full solution.

For my tests I always aimed for the chimney and the torp crossed always some meters in front of the bow.

SO with parallax error you mean the red line? Doesnt the TDC calculate the distance of submarin the the turn point?

Will do some more screenshots today.
the tdc sees it as the green line, it doesn't account for the extra range on the red line as it is going forwards then turning to target, I have always had more luck hitting the target in your current position at 3500 meters + when firing your standard 90 degrees the range does not matter, but the more off-angle you are from a straight 90-degree shot, the more the range matters to adjust the tdc.

you can see what I mean by putting your sub at 0 heading then having a ship pass in front of you at 90 degree's AOB , have the ship at 2500 meters and set the range in TDC at 0, just input correct AOB and Speed, the torpedo will still hit,

now angle your sub at 40 degrees off 90 degree AOB and do exact same above , your torpedo will miss , as the range input the TDC automatically adjust for is incorrect
Sickents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 06:27 AM   #7
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

At very close range and high gyro angle as in the screenshot, your range needs to be more or less exact. If speed and AOB are correct, range is the culprit in this situation. The TDC will always correct for parallax correctly if range is accurate. Also, that looks awfully close - are you sure you are at least 300 m away?

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
My YT Channel:
Old 12-10-20, 04:59 PM   #8
Sickents
Watch

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
At a very close range and high gyro angle as in the screenshot, your range needs to be more or less exact. If speed and AOB are correct, the range is the culprit in this situation. The TDC will always correct for parallax correctly if range is accurate. Also, that looks awfully close - are you sure you are at least 300 m away?
judging by the course line he has on the ship if you enlarge the picture, it defiantly does looks like he is only about 100 meters from the ship add in the torps path of the range looks only to be 150 meters. if that's the case no matter what you input into that tdc you will not hit it and if he does hit it, the torp will not be armed regardless.

I have also noticed in the picture, you have sunk another ship in that spot, by chance was this 2nd ship adjoined to the 1st ship, as in the same convoy? because if they were the 2nd ship would be alerted and start to take torpedo anti measures and would have slowed down or sped up making your solution also incorrect

id be hesitant to even attempt that shot at 500 meters and at that angle, I would personally still salvo 2 torps with 1 aimed for front-mid bow and 1 aimed for aft just behind the bridge of the ship.

at 1000 meters I would not be so hesitant

Last edited by Sickents; 12-10-20 at 05:16 PM.
Sickents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 05:06 PM   #9
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickents View Post
judging by the course line he has on the ship if you enlarge the picture, it defiantly does looks like he is only about 150-200 meters from the ship. if that's the case no matter what you input into that tdc you will not hit it and if he does hit it, the torp will not be armed regardless.

id be hesitant to even attempt that shot at 500 meters and at that angle, I would personally still salvo 2 torps with 1 aimed for front-mid bow and 1 aimed for aft just behind the bridge of the ship.

at 1000 meters I would not be so hesitant
I agree 100%.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
My YT Channel:
Old 12-10-20, 06:13 PM   #10
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Pull ahead and do a 90 degree shot.
Old 12-11-20, 02:03 AM   #11
Eragon333
Watch

Ok guys will try from a far distance and report then.