SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-22, 04:30 PM   #1591
Zinmar
Commander

Downloads: 276
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
firstly...you don't need Uplay. this is SH4 not SH5.
secondly prior to firstly, in which folder did you install SH4?
thirdly after secondly, since you posted in the Dark Waters forum, please post your JSGME config. (Tasks-Export-To Clipboard-Paste here)

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

OM_DarkWaters_V6

This is all that I have installed. Forgot to mention that it's installed in my F:/ in the steam folder I have there. This is what it shows if done as a text.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

OM_DarkWaters_V6
Zinmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-22, 04:56 PM   #1592
Kharsim
Nub

Downloads: 50

Hello, Thank you for this mod.

Unfortunatly it crash as soon as I lunch a patrol within the campain (it crash just after loading). Submarine school work fine but that's it.

Is there any solution?

Edit : I found the solution, i didn't use the 4gb patch! Now it work fine.

Last edited by Kharsim; 08-20-22 at 05:11 PM.
Kharsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-22, 05:26 PM   #1593
Zinmar
Commander

Default Runtime Error (more info)

Have some new info. Actually I set up a second monitor so I can see the message and type on the other.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
This application (SH4) has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Then it says to contact the applicants support team for more info.

I also ran the 4gp patch and that didn't change anything. Tried running the compatibility with Win 7 and 8, plus as an administrator. So far I keep getting this crash.
Old 08-20-22, 05:31 PM   #1594
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinmar View Post
Have some new info. Actually I set up a second monitor so I can see the message and type on the other.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
This application (SH4) has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Then it says to contact the applicants support team for more info.

I also ran the 4gp patch and that didn't change anything. Tried running the compatibility with Win 7 and 8, plus as an administrator. So far I keep getting this crash.
yeah, RTE and Steam.
you may need to move your installation to another folder.
i am not a Steam user but i know that using the default folder for a CD installation will cause problems.
more than likely, a veteran Steam user will see this exchange and offer some advice.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-22, 09:39 PM   #1595
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Besides other programs altering the C++ library that SH4 installed, you can also run into similar with a mis-matched video stream. Your display monitor has a "native" resolution, which Windows will shows as "(preferred)" when you look at the resolution dialog. You want the windows video driver set to that, and then in-game match the settings with the Options menu, Graphic Settings, and the drop-down there. You can also have trouble with the SH4.exe files "Properties" settings. Right-click the SH4.exe, and choose "Properties" from the bottom of that context menu. On the "Compatibility" tab, you might have to set things similar to this:

No two computers are alike, so you'll probably have to experiment.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-22, 05:17 PM   #1596
Zinmar
Commander

Default Wrong Installation?

Maybe I'm installing the game wrong and that is why it's crashing each time. So, what did everyone do for there install of the game? I downloaded it from steam and ran it, then the u-boat missions and then ran that. From there I ran the 4gb patch and then JSGME to get my mods folder. From there I then grabbed all the files (data, MODS and Support) and then dropped them into the SH4 root folder. Should I have done something else? I'm honestly at a loss as to what I need to do.
Old 08-21-22, 06:53 PM   #1597
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The Steam install will by default want to put the game in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam \... folder structure. From a previous post of yours, you have "F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific", which should work fine. My only questions about that would be, what type of drive is the "F:" drive? An attached SATA hard drive or SSD drive, or maybe a USB external drive? If an external drive, then it should be a fast one (7200rpm) and USB2 at a minimum. You can get by with less, but the faster and more bandwidth, the better.

After the game is installed, navigate into that install folder and select the SH4.exe and FileManager.dll files, right-click on them, choose "Properties" at the bottom of that context menu, and clear the tickmark in the "Read-only" box on the "General" tab under "Attributes", if necessary. That allows the 4Gig Patch (or LAA) and MultiSH4v1.5 to function correctly on those files.

The Steam install should put all of the correct DirextX v9.0c files in their proper places on your computer, but if you do have a dialog for that, be sure and install it and the Codecs. Then run the 4Gig Patch (or LAA) on the SH4.exe file, and then if doing other modded copies of the game in other folders, run MultiSH4v1.5 so that you can input a different 3-character folder name for the Save folder.

Activate the mod(s) following the instructions for the mod(s), and then if using the original SH4 "Save" folder, be sure and empty it (delete the contents), or cut and save it elsewhere for that "Just-in-case" scenario. Do not attempt to re-use old Save data. You should also set your video stream as mentioned above, and set the DPI Scaling properly for your computer gear, which can only be found out from experimentation...

One option you could do, is to run the Stock game prior to doing any of the 4Gig Patch or other extra stuff, just to be certain it functions correctly, prior to applying any mods. Just be sure and empty that Save folder if you do that...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-22, 08:12 PM   #1598
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Myself...

I set up the Steam game launcher on B drive, (which is hard ported inside of My computer, along with A (which is a CD/ROM drive) & put the library for all games from Steam, into an external drive that I meant to call (or name...) D drive.

After that... I then downloaded SH3, SH IV v1.5 & of course SH5, into the /common folder there inside of:

E:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\

From there... ran each SH install, so as to allow then base game to do what was needed to in order for it to run.

After all that, with SH IV v1.5, I could then make copies of it... & drop them into the next part, as follows:

SH-megamods\SH4\OM-DW'sv6

along with JSGME, MultiSH4 & using MultiSH4... created a complete separate game save folder... well away from the base copy SH IV's save folder...

making sure, that before attempting to mod the SH IV copy, that I went into properties... & did what propbeanie outlined, here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

After the game is installed, navigate into that install folder and select the SH4.exe and FileManager.dll files, right-click on them, choose "Properties" at the bottom of that context menu, and clear the tick mark in the "Read-only" box on the "General" tab under "Attributes", if necessary. That allows the 4Gig Patch (or LAA) and MultiSH4v1.5 to function correctly on those files.

Not to mention, allows the mods, through jsgme... to overwrite as they need to...

The Steam install should put all of the correct DirextX v9.0c files in their proper places on your computer, but if you do have a dialog for that, be sure and install it and the Codecs. Then run the 4Gig Patch (or LAA) on the SH4.exe file, and then if doing other modded copies of the game in other folders, run MultiSH4v1.5 so that you can input a different 3-character folder name for the Save folder.

Activate the mod(s) following the instructions for the mod(s), and then if using the original SH4 "Save" folder, be sure and empty it (delete the contents only applicable, if... IF running only 1 copy of SH4 alone... on emptying the base SH4 save folder...), or cut and save it elsewhere for that "Just-in-case" scenario. Do not attempt to re-use old Save data. You should also set your video stream as mentioned above, and set the DPI Scaling properly for your computer gear, which can only be found out from experimentation...

One option you could do, is to run the Stock game prior to doing any of the 4Gig Patch or other extra stuff, just to be certain it functions correctly, prior to applying any mods. Just be sure and empty that Save folder if you do that...

After running the initial install... leave it alone... do NOT mod that copy in \common

This is NOW... your "Gold standard" go to copy... completely virgin.... do NOT mod it... ever... EVER....

did I mention... EVER..???

Hope this... helps...

M. M.
Old 08-22-22, 09:49 AM   #1599
CapitainEA
Seaman

Downloads: 67

In this video I reveal in 5 minutes a secret passage to you to say "hello" to the aircraft carriers and battleships inked in SCAPA FLOW. But beware destroyers are watching....

Sincerely Captain_PUJOL

CapitainEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-22, 11:02 AM   #1600
frostedflaker
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

I'm really enjoying my Type IXA campaign so far. I was wondering if altering ActiveUserPlayerUnits may be a way to add the missing 37mm FlaK on the Type IXA, as I understand it has been used to fix missing deck guns in FOTRS? I'm far enough along that I'm invested in the campaign. I'd switch to a Type IXB if I was able but it's early in 1942 and I have not been offered a new command yet. In any case, please think about adding that gun to the Type IXA in the next update. While only 8 were built, it's the boat skippers will have to use if they want to start a Type IX campaign in 1939.

I want to congratulate you on how "right" the Second Happy Time feels once America enters the war. Very satisfying and makes the Type IX campaign really shine in my opinion, well done.

Somewhat related to America entering the war, I noticed that many UK bound convoys in 1941 had a large number of Panamanian flagged merchants. While this was not an overly large issue for daylight attacks, during surface night attacks I often found myself sinking neutrals. I know historically merchants sailing in convoy blacked out were legitimate targets, but I also know there are limitations for you here. If I remember, in the SH 3 mods separate nations had to be created to account for Neutrals sailing alone or in convoy so I understand not following that route.

I'm just wondering what your feeling is on this, if it was intended, adds immersion and so on. I found it made me pay more attention while stalking a convoy, trying to identify which positions were filled by American and Panamanian ships, record it, and avoid targeting them when I later attacked at night. Unlike American ships during neutrality there are not large hull markings to differentiate ships from Panama, was this the case historically?

I'm just interested in the topic of neutral shipping and what sort of things you have to think about while trying to simulate that in SH4.

Thanks again
frostedflaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-22, 07:15 AM   #1601
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I forget how we arrived at our figures in FotRSU - but I do remember is was NOT scientific by any stretch of the imagination... We considerably shortened the "Maximum Aircraft Range" to less than 1000km - Stock is 2000km - made a "world" of difference... sorry for the pun... - Check this out:

https://cimsec.org/close-the-gaps-ai...-and-tomorrow/

There is "historical" info there, along with a little map.
Hi,

I was just wondering about reducing the "Max. AC Range":

Wouldn't this mean, that one will encounter less AC, rather than more?
Old 08-25-22, 07:27 AM   #1602
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Hi,

I was just wondering about reducing the "Max. AC Range":

Wouldn't this mean, that one will encounter less AC, rather than more?
probably.

especially when you are not near land bases.

LAA enabled
Old 08-25-22, 07:31 AM   #1603
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
probably.

especially when you are not near land bases.
My thought was, if AC have a shorter range, fewer AC would be able to spot me, whether from land or sea ...
Old 08-25-22, 07:32 AM   #1604
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
My thought was, if AC have a shorter range, fewer AC would be able to spot me, whether from land or sea ...
you have it!

LAA enabled
Old 08-25-22, 08:03 AM   #1605
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
you have it!
Okay, so in that case, since I hardly encounter any AC right now, I should increase the AC range. If yes, what would be a halfway realistic value (I have 1600km right now)?