SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-22, 11:54 AM   #1531
frostedflaker
Swabbie

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Thank you both so much for the speedy reply. I'm amazed to see how far the community has progressed these last years, some very cool mods and even new games (Wolfpack, UBOAT).

I take your point about the futility of trying to shoot it out on the surface. Once I get a rivet counting detail stuck in my head I just feel the need to ask. I was just wondering if this is a technical limitation of SH 4 or something or other. Thank you again for indulging my pedantry!

Now that I've fussed, any tips to the Type IX? I don't think any of the newer subsims have it, so I'm trying to fall back on memories of GWX and coming up empty. A bit slower to dive, right?
frostedflaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 12:23 PM   #1532
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedflaker View Post
Thank you both so much for the speedy reply. I'm amazed to see how far the community has progressed these last years, some very cool mods and even new games (Wolfpack, UBOAT).

I take your point about the futility of trying to shoot it out on the surface. Once I get a rivet counting detail stuck in my head I just feel the need to ask. I was just wondering if this is a technical limitation of SH 4 or something or other. Thank you again for indulging my pedantry!

Now that I've fussed, any tips to the Type IX? I don't think any of the newer subsims have it, so I'm trying to fall back on memories of GWX and coming up empty. A bit slower to dive, right?
you have to keep in mind that DW is a mega-mod of SH4 which is a Pacific Theatre simulation. we were severely handicapped from the start because of the focus of the game.

now...have said that, we tried to take advantage of everything learned from SH3 and implement it in SH4. we got most of it pretty-good. you can fight in just about anywhere on the Atlantic side of things from the Arctic to the Indian Ocean, driving just about every boat from a IIB to a XXXIII.

as far as actual date availability of the flak guns of Type IX, i will have to look it up in the mod and get back to you later.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 07-23-22 at 04:48 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 02:19 PM   #1533
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:

Think, it was up to some kaleuns,... to pick & chose their subs a/c line of defense... up to a point. That being of course, what flak gun to have on board.

Of the different type uboats, available...

Type II (A-D variants):

Quickest to dive, not to mention... a greyhound as to maneuverability once submerged. Meaning this was a very nimble & agile sub.

The downside to them, was it had very short sea legs. i.e short fuel/rang economy... add to that, less storage capacity on batteries.

Add to that, it only carried... 5 at minimum, torpedo's. 3 loaded into the tubes... & 2 internal in reserve. Think I recall some leaving base with 3 stored away, inside the forward torpedo room. Which was another limitation of the Type II's, as well.

Not the 1st choice for patrolling far from base, more suited for intercoastal picket defense. Now, get a pack of them together... & it'd stand a bit better odds of doing some damages.

Type VII (A, B C, C/41-C/42, D):

The work horse of the Uboat service. More produced than any other type.

Not as fast at diving as the II's, but... better sea legs & able to pack more punch for the deutschmark.

Type IX (A, B, C & D variants)

Not as extensively built as the VII's & not sure if more of them built than the II's... but...

Better sea legs, more punch pack than the VII's... BUT...

major drawback, was its seriously slower dive time, overall.

This, of course... doesn't take into account, the other types... that actually saw the light of day... much less, so late to be built that didn't see action, to speak of.

M. M.
Old 07-24-22, 12:03 PM   #1534
CapitainEA
Seaman

Downloads: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Oooohh-ooohh - prehty!!! Glad you are going better, and you are welcome!

However, I would like to inform you of a bug that happened to me in this video. Indeed, at 1min50 I get rammed by a destroyer. It disables my attack periscope, but neither the hull nor my periscope appears damaged in the damage table...

Sorry to report this bug, but your mod is really close to perfection for me, so I really want it to improve

Cordially. Captain_PUJOL

Last edited by CapitainEA; 07-25-22 at 12:37 PM.
CapitainEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-22, 12:41 PM   #1535
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitainEA View Post
It disables my attack periscope, but neither the hull nor my periscope appears damaged in the damage table...
what you experienced is most likely an unexpected feature of SH4 where there is a piece of equipment that is part of the periscope "subsystem", that is not documented anywhere in the eqp or unitparts or UPC files but has become damaged beyond repair. the reason it does not appear in the damage-table is because it is undocumented.

when you return to your home base and end your patrol, you may hear "periscope repaired, sir".
and then again, you may not. this is an Ubi-creation, as you know.

LAA enabled
Old 07-24-22, 09:39 PM   #1536
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There is the head of the periscope, which shows on the system, and the shaft, which shows on the system, then there is the slot they sit in, which does not show. If you got rammed, the game "assumes" that your periscope shaft was bent. You took a direct hit by the DD running over the top of your periscope. You do not show "damage" because it is not leaking, only bent, hence the disabled and no damage - maybe. Look on the damage screen, and note the two parts of the periscope that you can see, one in the conning tower (the head), the other in the submarine control room (the shaft). See if there isn't a "red line" drawn around the border of one or both of those:

A bent shaft, of course, is irreparable in the field. If you were not up too high, you might still have use of the Observation periscope, which you might be able to get by with, but I am not certain of being able to target with it too well in Dark Waters... You might have some 'splainin' to do for Adm Doenitz upon RTB...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 10:09 AM   #1537
rainbowjose
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Also, there are too few maps and tables (the ideal amount in the SH3 mod from onealex), there is no autopilot from Kiel.

Last edited by rainbowjose; 07-25-22 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-25-22, 11:28 AM   #1538
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowjose View Post
Also, there are too few maps and tables (the ideal amount in the SH3 mod from onealex), there is no autopilot from Kiel.
don't know what "too few maps and tables" means as i have never played much SH3.

re:Kiel Canal Autopilot....a modder developed an autopilot capability years ago for the OpMonsun mega-mod, which is the precursor to DW, but i could never get it to work: CTD. it might still be in the Downloads forum if you want to give it a try.

although SH4 is built on SH3, there are substantial differences in the manner in which things are executed. not sure HOW one could develop a standardized and universal mod for SH4 that would allow a player to cruise the Kiel Canal hands-free. i do not believe there is a modding tool available for that type of functionality.

LAA enabled
Old 07-25-22, 12:23 PM   #1539
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Quote:

Yes, same in KSDII ...
Old 07-25-22, 01:11 PM   #1540
CapitainEA
Seaman

Downloads: 67

Yesterday I performed my best blind kill (Without TDC, without RAOBF disc and without lockage... Just with mathematics ) . Indeed, I was able to lock this aircraft carrier only at the last minute. But, using trigonometry calculations I managed to sink this aircraft carrier

Just with this simple formula:

Let x = 0.01 or 0.03.

Distance from submarine to target = Mast height / Tan (vertical mark + x)

@propbeanie thanks again. Now when I sink a boat, I see magnificent fireworks thanks to you .

ps: sorry for your compatriot, he had the misfortune to cross my path...

CapitainEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 02:37 PM   #1541
rainbowjose
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Crash dive isnt working when the waves are high. How to evade aircrafts?
Old 07-25-22, 06:45 PM   #1542
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowjose View Post
Crash dive isnt working when the waves are high. How to evade aircrafts?
ok.
explain the boat's reaction/performance?
and....
please post your JSGME config (Tasks-Export to-Clipboard then Ctrl+v here)

LAA enabled
Old 07-25-22, 06:51 PM   #1543
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
you have to keep in mind that DW is a mega-mod of SH4 which is a Pacific Theatre simulation. we were severely handicapped from the start because of the focus of the game.

now...have said that, we tried to take advantage of everything learned from SH3 and implement it in SH4. we got most of it pretty-good. you can fight in just about anywhere on the Atlantic side of things from the Arctic to the Indian Ocean, driving just about every boat from a IIB to a XXXIII.

as far as actual date availability of the flak guns of Type IX, i will have to look it up in the mod and get back to you later.
you must be driving a Type IX/IX-A, correct?
that model boat does not get its flak gun upgraded.
if you are driving any other Type IX you would have the 37 mm already.

LAA enabled
Old 07-26-22, 10:51 AM   #1544
rainbowjose
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...8.48.00.01.mp4

Whats going on with my hydrophone?

I have CLEAN install

Last edited by rainbowjose; 07-26-22 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-26-22, 01:36 PM   #1545
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The crew prefers it that way. Union work rules and all that - you understand...

but seriously, the engine power on the ship might not be strong enough, or perhaps there is a node that links the ship sounds that is missing. That is a rather common occurrence, even in the stock game - not to excuse it of course, but it does happen. . The next ship will probably be fine. I have a small screen here right now, and could not see the notepad very well. What ship was that?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote