SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-22, 08:48 AM   #1
LUKNER
Torpedoman

Downloads: 743
Uploads: 0
Default Order order documents are documents that can be stylized in a campaign SH4.

Can anyone suggest the text of the order to the patrol (original) to style the campaign missions under it?

Кто нибудь может подсказать текст приказа на патруль (оригинал), чтобы стилизовать под него миссии кампаинга?
LUKNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 01:43 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There was quite a bit of leeway in the wording. Early Asiatic Fleet boats out of Manila and then out of Surabaya had "In compliance to orders per ComSubAF, you are hereby ordered to proceed via [routing to patrol area] and conduct anti-shipping operations for a duration of not less than X days, communicating with Named Officer or Position all contacts" etc. Pearl initially did "When in all manner ready to depart, proceed via [routing out of harbor and destination] conducting anti-shipping patrol blah blah blah." There would also be "standing" directives issued monthly (squadron) or quarterly (command) about proper patrol procedures etc. They were usually numbered sequentially, such as 12-42, which would signify the 12th directive for the year 1942. All of the orders might be very specific, or rather ambiguous. There were also differences in their wording due to the person writing the orders and their personalities. Some guys were deadly serious, formal and "by the book" in their wording. Other guys, such as Sunshine Murray, would throw in a humorous line or two quite often, and might say something like "If you can find the time, we would appreciate it if you could stop by xx Atoll and have a look-see there". Captain Fife at Brisbane attempted the Doenitz-style and did nightlies with crews reporting in with positions and status, and would then move them around "like checkers on a playing board" for a time, then quit doing that after four of his boats were sunk in short order in early 1943, possibly due to Japanese use of HF/DF. Examples of orders can be found in some of the War Patrol Reports of some of the skippers. Others never mention theirs. In "Clear the Bridge", Richard O'Kane gives several examples of his orders, and Fluckey in "Thunder Below" alludes to some of his. Look at the differences in the War Patrol Reports, and how some guys were more verbose than three of me, while the next guy gave minimal detail... lol - same with the orders. The thing is, you can only use so many characters in the missionbriefing of the game, else you will CTD the game - been there done that... That figure of characters seems to be a function of character count versus carriage returns versus line count, etc. which makes it very difficult to do mission orders for a Narwhal doing three Primary Objectives... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 07:44 PM   #3
LUKNER
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
There was quite a bit of leeway in the wording. Early Asiatic Fleet boats out of Manila and then out of Surabaya had "In compliance to orders per ComSubAF, you are hereby ordered to proceed via [routing to patrol area] and conduct anti-shipping operations for a duration of not less than X days, communicating with Named Officer or Position all contacts" etc. Pearl initially did "When in all manner ready to depart, proceed via [routing out of harbor and destination] conducting anti-shipping patrol blah blah blah." There would also be "standing" directives issued monthly (squadron) or quarterly (command) about proper patrol procedures etc. They were usually numbered sequentially, such as 12-42, which would signify the 12th directive for the year 1942. All of the orders might be very specific, or rather ambiguous. There were also differences in their wording due to the person writing the orders and their personalities. Some guys were deadly serious, formal and "by the book" in their wording. Other guys, such as Sunshine Murray, would throw in a humorous line or two quite often, and might say something like "If you can find the time, we would appreciate it if you could stop by xx Atoll and have a look-see there". Captain Fife at Brisbane attempted the Doenitz-style and did nightlies with crews reporting in with positions and status, and would then move them around "like checkers on a playing board" for a time, then quit doing that after four of his boats were sunk in short order in early 1943, possibly due to Japanese use of HF/DF. Examples of orders can be found in some of the War Patrol Reports of some of the skippers. Others never mention theirs. In "Clear the Bridge", Richard O'Kane gives several examples of his orders, and Fluckey in "Thunder Below" alludes to some of his. Look at the differences in the War Patrol Reports, and how some guys were more verbose than three of me, while the next guy gave minimal detail... lol - same with the orders. The thing is, you can only use so many characters in the missionbriefing of the game, else you will CTD the game - been there done that... That figure of characters seems to be a function of character count versus carriage returns versus line count, etc. which makes it very difficult to do mission orders for a Narwhal doing three Primary Objectives... lol
I have a big request for you. Since I can't open this site https://maritime.org/doc/subreports.htm. Show two three screenshots of the classic version of the order. To understand how the text of the order styles outwardly.
Now the style in my fashion is Silent Service:
Briefing: (narrative non-submission form)
Pacific Fleet (COMSUBPAC) Submarines, Scouting Force

The submarine forces of the Pacific Fleet were the only military units of the US Armed Forces capable of striking in the rear of the enemy.
Task;
I. Patrol the area for 14 days.
II. Conduct reconnaissance, search and destruction of enemy ships.
III. Radio session at 00 h 00 min local time.
IV. Report immediately on the detection of large formations of enemy ships.
V. Priority task: collecting intelligence information on the movement of large formations of enemy ships.
VI. Within a radius of 500 miles from enemy air bases in daylight, with satisfactory visibility, is in an underwater position.

У меня к вам большая просьба. Так как я не могу открыть этот сайт https://maritime.org/doc/subreports.htm. Покажите два три скриншота классической версии приказа. Чтобы понять как внешне стилизуется текст приказа. Сейчас стиль в моем моде Силент Сервис такой:
Брифинг: (повествовательный не относящийся к форме подачи документа)
Pacific Fleet (COMSUBPAC) Submarines, Scouting Force

Подводные силы Тихоокеанского флота являлись единственными военными подразделениями Вооруженных сил США способных наносить удары в глубоком тылу противника.
Задача;
I. Патрулировать указанный район в течении 14 суток.
II. Вести разведку, поиск и уничтожение кораблей противника.
III. Сеанс радиосвязи в 00 ч 00 мин местного времени.
IV. Сообщать немедленно об обнаружении крупных соединений кораблей противника.
V. Приоритетная задача: сбор разведывательной информации о передвижении крупных соединений кораблей противника.
VI. В радиусе 500 миль от авиабаз противника в светлое время суток при удовлетворительной видимости находится в подводном положении.
Screenshot_1.jpg

Last edited by LUKNER; 01-20-22 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-21-22, 01:35 AM   #4
propbeanie

I cannot remember any examples off the top of my head, since I have read so many of them. Are you trying to get to the War Patrols through this site:

Maritime Museum War Patrol Reports

???
That site uses a slightly different "reader" app than this site does:

HNSA SUBMARINE WAR PATROL REPORTS

Both "reader" apps are sadly lacking in functionality, but I prefer the 2nd site's app more. Both are better than sitting at a microfiche machine trying to read and / or make copies of a report, but definitely not as useful as a downloadable pdf file, that is for certain... There are small examples of orders in the Support Research folder of the FotRSU Add-in mods pack:
1. In obedience to orders from Commander Submarines, U.S. Asiatic Fleet, you are to proceed via Manipa Straits, Sibutu Pass, and APO East Passage using best sustained speed to Manila carrying .50 caliber antiaircraft ammunition for the relief of Corregidor. You will remove such equipment as is necessary to allow carrying up to forty (40) tons. The limiting amount of weight which you can carry will be governed by such trim as will enable you to dive with safety tank full. You will bring back a full load of torpedoes and such personnel as has been designated by the Commander in Chief, U.S. Asiatic Fleet to the Commandant Sixteenth Naval District. Details of communications for your entry to Manila will be transmitted to you later.

2. When in all respects ready for sea, you will depart from the Boom Entrance at 1330 local time, January 16th, carrying out sound exercises with Australian Naval Forces as has been previously decided upon.

via Bangka Passage - Lembeh - Biaro (Biard) Island - Roeng Passage - Manuk Manka - Sibutu Passage - Pearl Bank - SW Panay - Naso Point - APO East Pass - Apo Island - Cape Calavite, Luband & Cabra - Cabra Island - S Dock Corregidor. Cabra - Apo - Maniquin - Panay - Pearl Bank - Dog Can Island - Sibutu Pass - North Watcher - Cape William - Surabaya...
The #2 example has more between the paragraph break. That second paragraph is a routing given to the same boat, as to the route they were to take to the patrol zone. Another note is that all of those proper names would have been in ALL CAPS, such as "Bangka Passage" would be typed as "BANGKA PASSAGE". Maybe to avoid confusion with different character sets??

Old 01-21-22, 04:32 AM   #5
LUKNER
Torpedoman

Quote:
I cannot remember any examples off the top of my head, since I have read so many of them. Are you trying to get to the War Patrols through this site:

Maritime Museum War Patrol Reports

???
That site uses a slightly different "reader" app than this site does:

HNSA SUBMARINE WAR PATROL REPORTS

Both "reader" apps are sadly lacking in functionality, but I prefer the 2nd site's app more. Both are better than sitting at a microfiche machine trying to read and / or make copies of a report, but definitely not as useful as a downloadable pdf file, that is for certain... There are small examples of orders in the Support Research folder of the FotRSU Add-in mods pack:
1. In obedience to orders from Commander Submarines, U.S. Asiatic Fleet, you are to proceed via Manipa Straits, Sibutu Pass, and APO East Passage using best sustained speed to Manila carrying .50 caliber antiaircraft ammunition for the relief of Corregidor. You will remove such equipment as is necessary to allow carrying up to forty (40) tons. The limiting amount of weight which you can carry will be governed by such trim as will enable you to dive with safety tank full. You will bring back a full load of torpedoes and such personnel as has been designated by the Commander in Chief, U.S. Asiatic Fleet to the Commandant Sixteenth Naval District. Details of communications for your entry to Manila will be transmitted to you later.

2. When in all respects ready for sea, you will depart from the Boom Entrance at 1330 local time, January 16th, carrying out sound exercises with Australian Naval Forces as has been previously decided upon.

via Bangka Passage - Lembeh - Biaro (Biard) Island - Roeng Passage - Manuk Manka - Sibutu Passage - Pearl Bank - SW Panay - Naso Point - APO East Pass - Apo Island - Cape Calavite, Luband & Cabra - Cabra Island - S Dock Corregidor. Cabra - Apo - Maniquin - Panay - Pearl Bank - Dog Can Island - Sibutu Pass - North Watcher - Cape William - Surabaya...
The #2 example has more between the paragraph break. That second paragraph is a routing given to the same boat, as to the route they were to take to the patrol zone. Another note is that all of those proper names would have been in ALL CAPS, such as "Bangka Passage" would be typed as "BANGKA PASSAGE". Maybe to avoid confusion with different character sets??
Thank you for your help! Unfortunately, the pages of the site open, but when I click on the selected boat from both sites the answer comes out PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

Cпасибо за помощь! К сожалению, страницы сайта открываются, но когда нажимаю на выбранную лодку с обоих сайтов выходит ответ PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR
Old 01-21-22, 06:55 AM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUKNER View Post
Thank you for your help! Unfortunately, the pages of the site open, but when I click on the selected boat from both sites the answer comes out PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

Cпасибо за помощь! К сожалению, страницы сайта открываются, но когда нажимаю на выбранную лодку с обоих сайтов выходит ответ PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR
Have had... issues with opening up page info on things from maritime... no idea as to the why's & wherefores'... but, suffice it to say, when I did run into issues... it was invariably, while using Window's edge browser.

Using chrome, I never had any issues... & not 100% sure, as I haven't tried doing so with Opera... but, think it is likely that using it, would also net the site fully opening using it, as well as with chrome's browser.

Hope this info helps.

M. M.
Old 01-21-22, 11:31 AM   #7
propbeanie

I did a search on your error message, and there is a myriad of possible causes, including what MM refers to. Definitely try his recommendation. Try using duckduckgo.com and search on the message itself, and try a few of the hits to see if anything applies, if the use of a different browser doesn't work. The browser with the most mentions of having that issue is FireFox, which used to be my favorite browser.

Old 01-21-22, 07:28 PM   #8
LUKNER
Torpedoman

Quote:
I did a search on your error message, and there is a myriad of possible causes, including what MM refers to. Definitely try his recommendation. Try using duckduckgo.com and search on the message itself, and try a few of the hits to see if anything applies, if the use of a different browser doesn't work. The browser with the most mentions of having that issue is FireFox, which used to be my favorite browser.

Thank you! Your advice helped solve the problem.

Old 01-22-22, 01:33 AM   #9
astvitaliy1982
Lieutenant

Downloads: 532

[QUOTE=LUKNER;2789158]Thank you! Your advice helped solve the

Привет!) Попробуй открыть документы и просмотреть их с помощью смартфона. У меня это получилось)
astvitaliy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote