SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-23-21, 11:05 AM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Heavens save me, I turned into a pervert - I fell in love with a machine part...!

First impression is outstanding, awesome. I think I know nothing and have never seen anything about any other Fanatec item with such a positive price-value balance. Looks and feels are incredibly good in reality considering that it is - plastic. You hardly believe it. Its as wide as the old round rim I used, and even is 30 gramns lighter. That is good, becaise I have only a low-end wheel base by Fanatec standard, the CSL Elite. That motor moves this wheel as fast and powerful as the othe rim.

Very happy customer. Highly recommended product, especially for this price. Hard to imagine how to get more bang for the buck.

And I finally can opt for an analogue handbrake...! Wait, TWO handbrakes, one in front and one at the rear...!!!

Better callibration, setting up in-wheel options , establishing simulation profiles, and recapping the buttons and get rid of the toyish look of Xbox buttons and putting button labels on it is next. Tomorrow.

The rotaries have a very solid, high quality feel. The big two buttons in the top corners are thumb-bone breakers!
Old 11-24-21, 10:41 AM   #17
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

That's really nice, congrats. That would be perfect in my F1 sim. It would be so much better to dial in brake bias and differentials and fuel mix with rotaries than trying to navigate LCD menus at speed.
Old 11-26-21, 07:21 AM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

Setting it up, callibrating, programming for ACC now is done. I like the wheel, and ver ymuch, its incredibly much bang for the buck, even when consideirng that to the price for the wheel the costs of the mount must be added, it is not included with this one.

The stickers and button caps all were included, but there is a separate set of labels and coloured button caps avisalable for even more extensive setups. Costly, but thigns are wiorth whast people will to pay for it. I give the link, its at least interesting that such things are available.

https://fanatec.com/eu-de/accessorie...nd-sticker-set

They have black friday sales until end of the month, and some interetsing entry level offers, especially the R300 wheelrim combined with the CSL hub look intereszing, its 200 instead of 300 coins. Mind you, the wheelbase is not included. For Fanatec standards, its a steal.

And then there is their new BMW wheel for 1800 coins, which is a total and complete original 1:1 replica, design wise and functionality-wise. (My GT3 wheel is a replica, too, but has two differences, where it has a small OLED display, the real wheel has a forth rotary, and the X-box button in the right bottom corner that I mapped for VR recentering and camera change on my wheel - ACC allows maping of up to four functions on one button - , is missing, else it is identical to the real one). Take it off your PC, take it to the real world track, plug it into a real BMW, and drive with full functionality. What is that? The redefinition of "immersion"! No joke, both Fanatec advertize that you could do this. If you own that BMW. There is a hook in anything.

They also raised the curtain over the long kept secret, Fanatex now pürovides the offically licenses Playstation Grand Turismo wheel. Its ther wheel, pedla shiftes on it, wheelbase and pedal set (2). Available in four combinations (2 pedal combos, two wheelbases), the cheapest combination nevertheless will cost the player 700 coins. It looks not bad, but for that lot of money I would nevertheless prefer a wheel looking less toyish and fanatsy-driven.

And yes, I am a wheel junkey, I do not collect them or own many, just two, but already as a little kid I painted my own wheel and dashboard and glued it to the back of the carseat of my father when we were in the car, and then I "driove". Looking at different complex wheel designs just turns me on. Its not the driving, actually I have amost no interets inc ars and I do nopt own a car nor do I drive (and have no need to do so, btw), its the gadget itself. I just like HOTAS things and the technology behind such things. That would turn me probably more into an engineer than driver.

However, I love to drive racing, in sims.

I do not like alcoghol-free beer, tastes not good. I do not like white beer, tastes awful. But I like acohol-free white beer, and prefer it over normal alcoholic beer. You see the pattern.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-26-21 at 07:32 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 10:58 AM   #19
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Those are really nice wheels. Maybe one day I'll move on from my red Momo. Maybe! But yeah, it would be nice to move forward to this century.

Quote:
However, I love to drive racing, in sims.
Me too. I'm still running F1 2021, several seasons deep in a career. Great sim.

But just before Christmas I had an inspired moment. I was on Steam, having a bash about, looking for a new game to carry me through my Christmas break. I zeroed in on Forza Horizon 5. I had bought FH4 for my son and his X Box, but hadn't played the series myself. He also plays NFS, The Crew, Drive Club so I knew what to expect in a general sense. We had a lot of fun doing head to head racing in hot hatches in Drive Club.

So I took the plunge on FH5, reviews are excellent and it looked like fun. And I really like it. I've dropped a couple hundred hours in it already, have nearly 400 cars and every single Ferrari in the game!

It's leaning toward the arcade side of course, but the driving feels great. The performance modification and chassis setup options are extensive, deeper than what you get in F1 2021 anyway. I really like the sprint racing (point to point) and most of the content really. The blend of solo and MP is in a great place. A fun game that I'm glad I took a chance on. For a purist sim-head racer it's a shift, but I'm having a blast with it. It looks fantastic, runs great and there's lots to do. Over 500 cars, and the game just throws them at you.

My main whip, Ferrari 458 Speciale

Old 01-21-22, 11:53 AM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

Why not? Myself, I too have somewhat shifted a bit from ultra-realism to immersion, meaning: if the immersion works nevertheless, it can deceive you over the lack of ultra-realism. I have become more relaxed about "realism".

The only thing I find difficult to forgive, is lame AI. I rate RR's AI as the best, but over the past year or so I red a lot of good about the new AI they develop in iR. too, that it is a competent rumble-raiser, but also errs, like a human. But I do not know iR, by idea and design its not for me. I have more stuff to drive than I could frequently drive anyway... Don'T need more.
Old 01-21-22, 12:29 PM   #21
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Same here, no longer counting rivets haha.

And it's true across the board with my gaming, from sim purist to gamer. And it's great, because it results in trying things like Forza, which I would not have ten years ago. I came up through the Papy era with Indy Car and GPL and those were my frames of reference. And those sorts of sims still rock, but my pool is deeper now and there are more diverse things to branch out in to and have fun with.

I can draw a similar parallel in war gaming. I was a historical snob. Like with Total War, a series I love, with a winning formula. Turned my nose up at Warhammer, until one day I thought, well why IS that? So I tried Warhammer 2 and was blown away and it became my favorite title in the series.

And while Forza will not supplant GPL in my mind, it's a diverse, fun driving game that I would have ignored had my paradigm not shifted. Now, everything is fair game, and it's nice to have so many options.
Old 01-21-22, 03:51 PM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

I would try Forza 5, if only it had VR. But both the developer and the bosses of XBox have ruled it out.
Old 02-03-22, 03:12 PM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Its hilarious how much fun this super-structured but not easy-to-win game is: Circuit Superstars. Its supercute., and incopldues a level of polish and charming detials that one would nto expect from a fun racer like this, incoduing cutely animated pitstops and replays with varying TV camera angles. I got it cheap in a sale, and did not expect to like it that much. But I like it! I appreciate the over-all impresison and "roundness" (completeness) of the package. Its like playing "Carrera Plus". For six coins, nobody can complain! Highlights include great replay options, damage, tyre and fuel modelling, pitstops, many different classes with cars indeed having different feels and physics, and up to four players on split screen. Must be a party and family burner.
Old 04-11-22, 11:05 PM   #24
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Skybird. I appreciate you posting about that GT3 wheel. I'm looking at it now myself, but I've not owned Fanatec and I have more to learn. Tell me about your setup. I need the works. Wheel, or rim as it seems to be called, a base, pedals. Paddles are fine, not looking for a stick unless I return to GPL, or even rally, perhaps. I mostly drive/race F1 and GT/Super/Hyper cars and paddles are fine. I see it has dual paddles, and I could see one set for gears, and the other for maybe launch control. What do you use the second set for?

The base you have in your images isn't what I've seen. And that is clamped to your desk?

Any more thoughts now that you've been using it for a longer time?
Old 04-12-22, 08:07 AM   #25
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I also watched that video you linked to and I'm impressed. Excellent commentary and camera work. For what I drive, this wheel ticks all the boxes, and would let me get in to the Fanatec game at a lower entry point. The modular quick release nature of the system means you can own a variety of rims, if the pockets are deep enough, and just swap to the most suitable one for the class you're racing at the moment.

This is a GT style wheel and would work great for those cars and for open wheel. With no hoop it's unsuited for serious rally racing I think, but still fine. And no reason other than the mad stacks of cash that a serious sim racer couldn't have several lying around.

I don't rally and one wheel is plenty. I do open wheel Formula 1 and GT style racing and the McLaren wheel seems perfect for me. I'm still unsure of which base to get out of all the options. This rim works with a dozen different base choices. I'm hoping for one with desk-mount and stand-mount capability, if that's possible. Direct drive is probably a bit too much.

I also think it's smart to get a three-pedal set. I don't need a clutch with the stuff I'm driving, and I guess the second set of paddles is perfect to use as a clutch, but somewhere down the line I'll wish I had a foot pedal clutch option.

Add it all up and this is approaching US$1000 I reckon. And this is the entry point with Fanatec. But watch that video Skybird linked to and you'd have to say it's worth it.
Old 04-12-22, 10:12 AM   #26
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I ran the rule over all of the options on Fanatec's site, but either high demand or slow production -- or a combination of the two -- means they're sold out of a lot of things, and I guess only sell direct?

I want a Fanatec wheel, but I'm going to change course and reign in my ambition a bit and go for something like Thrustmaster's T248.

That's a great wheel you have Skybird and thanks for the info. Still interested to hear your thoughts on it.
Old 04-14-22, 08:26 AM   #27
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Skybird's been 'online' for days now but no reply here? You OK mate? No obligation to reply, but I expected you to want to talk about your rig. No worries, but hope all's OK.

I did get the T248 wheel and pedals. Not on the level of the Fanatec stuff, but really nice all the same. Great set of pedals which is what put it over the top for me.

I started off looking at Fanatec, and was ready to go for it, went through their configurator, and when I got to the base I found it was out of stock. I was prepared to blow $1000 on this kit. But when it wasn't available I changed course.

I also looked at two other high end brands, Precision Engineering and Ascher. This is amazing gear, it really is. I mean look at this

https://www.precisionsimengineering.com/

And I thought Fanatec was high end! ha!

So once I changed course I dropped in to the mid-range. wheels in the $400 range. It came down to three wheels for me, the Logitech G923 Trueforce, Thrustmaster T300 RS GT Edition and the Thrustmaster T248.

These wheels move away from the direct drive force feedback, and that's a big part of what you give up in this range. But I know that even so it will be the best FFB I've experienced considering what I've used so far. In the faceoff between those three options the T248 was the winner for four main reasons.

One, the price I spotted it at was hard to beat. Pricing is out of control these days, and over the past few days while I did my search I was steeled for spending a grand. So to find an agreeable option for $300 was good.

Two, the FFB is hybrid belt and gear, which gave it the edge for me over the G923. By making the move to a new wheel I am hoping to improve my driving, bring laptimes down through proper gear. I expect force feedback will be a big part of that. I think if I can go X amount of fast without any feel from the car and track, that having those indicators can only make me better. Belt driven is generally regarded as better than gear it seems, but worse than direct. So this was a slight edge in my decision, even if it's only a hybrid system.

Three, the paddles are magnetic.These are like the Hall sensors I put in my flight gear, no contact points, all magnetic so they retain accuracy and don't wear out over time like traditional pots do.

And fourth, the pedals that are included are said to be good, and improved over other recent offerings. These are also magnetic and that's what I want. And I get a clutch pedal.

So I chose the T248 over the G923 for better force feedback (hybrid belt and gear over all-gear) and chose the T248 over the T300 for the superior pedals in the bundle. If the T248 had been at regular price of $400 and if the T300 had the same pedal set I would have gone for the T300.

The kit has arrived, setup was straight forward and I've turned some laps. Nice wheel and I really like the pedals. However I need to work out a mounting solution and until I do I won't be able to race seriously as the pedals rock. The brake takes quite a bit of force (and even comes with an additional spring to make it stiffer).
Old 04-17-22, 02:06 PM   #28
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65

In answer to the title question, about as realistic as romantic intimacy in a PC game, LOL!

But, I grew up around racing and even did a little when I was young. And I like cars. So I occasionally indulge.

I have a Fanatec wheel, pedals, and shifter. If you're going to sim race, Fanatec gear is good stuff, in my humble opinion.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-22, 02:02 PM   #29
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

When it is in stock it sure is! I'd have one now if their production outpaced their sales.
Old 04-19-22, 01:18 PM   #30
Skybird
Soaring