SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-23, 10:44 AM   #1
william"hawkeye"
Watch

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0
Default Editing save files makes game not load

I currently have a game that I'm pretty proud of. USS Balao, 1944, around half a million tons sunk. But I made a little oopsy on my latest patrol and ran out of fuel about 100 miles from Midway. Seeing that I can't exactly call a tow or rig up some sails, I tried to edit the save file and change "LimitedFuel=True" to "False"

However upon doing so, the save no longer works at all. I changed nothing else, and it was working fine previously. It's a modded game, but I haven't had too many issues with crashing before.

And also changing the variable back to "True" didn't fix anything. I have other saves that should work, but I want to be able to salvage my progress if I can. Any tips?
william"hawkeye" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-23, 03:46 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by william"hawkeye" View Post
I currently have a game that I'm pretty proud of. USS Balao, 1944, around half a million tons sunk. But I made a little oopsy on my latest patrol and ran out of fuel about 100 miles from Midway. Seeing that I can't exactly call a tow or rig up some sails, I tried to edit the save file and change "LimitedFuel=True" to "False"

However upon doing so, the save no longer works at all. I changed nothing else, and it was working fine previously. It's a modded game, but I haven't had too many issues with crashing before.

And also changing the variable back to "True" didn't fix anything. I have other saves that should work, but I want to be able to salvage my progress if I can. Any tips?
hawkeye, my friend, you learned a valuable lesson: conserve your fuel.
there is no way to change a game option during a mission and there is no way to add fuel if you exhaust your supply.
chalk this one up to experience.
if you have a save file from the start of the patrol, re-load it and how close you can get to your previous tonnage by playing the same mission. if not, then, oh well. it was fun while it lasted. yes, Ubi did not program many things that other sub sims have had programmed: radio for help, abandon ship, etc.

well, anyway, good luck on your next mission, whether it is a re-load or a new mission!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-23, 05:44 PM   #3
william"hawkeye"
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
hawkeye, my friend, you learned a valuable lesson: conserve your fuel.
there is no way to change a game option during a mission and there is no way to add fuel if you exhaust your supply.
chalk this one up to experience.
if you have a save file from the start of the patrol, re-load it and how close you can get to your previous tonnage by playing the same mission. if not, then, oh well. it was fun while it lasted. yes, Ubi did not program many things that other sub sims have had programmed: radio for help, abandon ship, etc.

well, anyway, good luck on your next mission, whether it is a re-load or a new mission!
Ok, I don't think I'll be needing to revert too far.
But in my defense, the lack of fuel wasn't entirely my fault...
Okay it was mostly my fault, but not from lack of fuel efficiency. I had just raided Balikpapan and was sneaking out when I tore the bottom of my boat off on a shallow shoal and lost most of my diesel with it.
william"hawkeye" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-23, 06:38 PM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by william"hawkeye" View Post
Ok, I don't think I'll be needing to revert too far.
But in my defense, the lack of fuel wasn't entirely my fault...
Okay it was mostly my fault, but not from lack of fuel efficiency. I had just raided Balikpapan and was sneaking out when I tore the bottom of my boat off on a shallow shoal and lost most of my diesel with it.
lmfao!
"okay it was mostly my fault"

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-23, 07:04 PM   #5
1Patriotofmany
Commander

I would delete the latest save file in documents/sh4 or whatever you have it folder named. Both the latest in SAVEGAME and RICHSAVEGAME files and try from the second to last save.
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, crash