SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-01-22, 07:23 PM   #1
RudolphMcCz
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Sextant for SH4 mod

Just curious - I could not find any infromation about a mod that introduces sextant into SH4 . is there such a thing (I know that SH3 has for example the MAGui mod which includes sextant)?
RudolphMcCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-22, 02:52 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The "real navigation" mod does... but I cannot find it at this time, due to a SubSim menu issue... lol - Wait! - the menu name changed... lol - hang-on

Edit: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...do=file&id=525

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-22, 09:38 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

RudolphMcCz!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-22, 10:13 AM   #4
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The "real navigation" mod does... but I cannot find it at this time, due to a SubSim menu issue... lol - Wait! - the menu name changed... lol - hang-on

Edit: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...do=file&id=525
I don´t know how this mod work in the latest FOTRSU, but I remember in FOTRS 1.3 and TMO 2.5 it wasn´t very accurate due to limitations of the SH4 world.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-22, 02:01 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Part of that "accuracy" has to do with time-of-day, "base time" and the fps the game is doing. The mod config and the Save folder's data all influence that "sky" accuracy. Front Runner had that base time thread a while back, and it still holds true for the game. But any little bit of "bad data" in the Save folder, which can happen in so many ways, and the time-of-day in the game gets out of sync. Another aspect of that is that the devs used the MS DirectX 9 library "timers".

We included time zone lines on the NavMap in FotRSU so that the player is better able to determine the local time-of-day for such "navigational" purposes (including moon cycles for night attacks). It would be really nice if the game was able to have a clock that tracked local time, as well as base time. If "time" tracks true in the game, the night sky is relatively accurate, though the brighter and lighter, larger and smaller stars are tough to discern as compared to real life. Since the sky in the game is a squished dome, there is some distortion that is readily apparent at certain times of the day, expecially when it comes to the sun's setting and rising, in that the "angle of attach" is quite steep near the horizon, but does stay relatively close, all things considered between that and the "Mercator" of the NavMap. They actually did a reasonably good job in that area of the simulation for what the set-up of the "world" actually is in the game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod, sextant, sh4