SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-07-21, 04:51 PM   #16
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

So you're saying someone who does something not allowed should be shot?

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 04:57 PM   #17
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
So you're saying someone who does something not allowed should be shot?
No - I'm saying that when you instigate a fight and taunt an armed individual and dare them to shoot you, you shouldn't be surprised when they do. It appears that the two parties had an ongoing feud that finally came to a head.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 05:08 PM   #18
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Victim blaming again. Ah, whatever...

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 06:06 PM   #19
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
If you start a fight, you're not a victim. That's what happened here - the Goys started things and then escalated them before Spaide shot them.
Old 02-07-21, 07:27 PM   #20
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

That's not so. A verbal altercation is just that and does not necessitate an 'escalation of force' through physical altercation fists, rocks, clubs, etc, to the ultimate extreme of deadly force by lethal weaponry which can include kicking with a 'shod foot' ie: boot; up to axes, knives, automobiles (road rage at being 'flipped off') and firearms...In 'Merika at least, everyone has a
reasonable expectation of freedom of speach incl. insults w/o getting killed for it.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 07:39 PM   #21
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
That's not so. A verbal altercation is just that and does not necessitate an 'escalation of force' through physical altercation fists, rocks, clubs, etc, to the ultimate extreme of deadly force by lethal weaponry which can include kicking with a 'shod foot' ie: boot; up to axes, knives, automobiles (road rage at being 'flipped off') and firearms...In 'Merika at least, everyone has a
reasonable expectation of freedom of speach incl. insults w/o getting killed for it.
I'm not saying Spaide didn't overreact, but the Goys should have known better. This is a Marcellus Wallace-Tony Rockyhara moment...

“If you step out of here, I’ll knock your a-- out,” James Goy told the suspected gunman, as seen in the video of the encounter obtained by The New York Post.

James Goy then threatened to make Spaide’s life a “living hell” and called him a “d--khead,” as heard on the recording.

“What?” Spaide replied. “F--k you, you f--king scum.”

Goy’s spouse, who is seen holding a shovel in the footage, then showered Spaide with a flurry of curse words.

“You’re the f--king scumbag,” Lisa Goy yelled to him. “You don’t know how to talk to somebody.”

James Goy then flipped Spaide off.

“That’s right...You’re a pu--y, pu--y, pu--y,” he is heard yelling.

In the footage of the incident, Spaide is then seen approaching Lisa Goy, who tells him “go ahead, go ahead.” Upon seeing his weapon, her husband tells him “put the gun down.”

Spaide then fired multiple rounds, striking both him and his wife, ABC News reported.

“Call the cops!” Lisa Goy is heard crying out, then yelling at Spaide, “You f--ker, you!”

Spaide then returned to his home, extracted a second, larger rifle, and returned to gun down Lisa Goy.

“You should have kept your f--king mouth [shut],” he told her before pulling the trigger."

The Goys, with these words, are not themselves reasonable people.
Old 02-07-21, 08:12 PM   #22
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

^ Thanks for making my point entirely:
Quote:
“d--khead,”
Quote:
f--king scum.”
Quote:
f--king scumbag,
Quote:
pu--y, pu--y, pu--y,”
(with attendant flipping off)
Quote:
You f--ker, you!
are all permissable verbal communications while not striking with a deadly snow shovel...presumably close at hand.
Quote:
Upon seeing his weapon, her husband tells him “put the gun down.”
Literally a lawful command as the unlawful brandishing of the weapon is a felony offense and Mr Goy is essentially now acting lawfully with a citizen's arrest perogative: the verbal command to desist before the situation escalates to a deadly level and he beans the misanthropic asperger's adversary, Mr. Spade, in self defense against a perceived deadly threat with a snow shovel. The returning with another firearm after the initial infliction of felony deadly assault leaves no doubt as to where the real problem lies. NO IMHO 'bout it!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 02-07-21, 08:33 PM   #23
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
^ Thanks for making my point entirely: (with attendant flipping off) are all permissable verbal communications while not striking with a deadly snow shovel...presumably close at hand. Literally a lawful command as the unlawful brandishing of the weapon is a felony offense and Mr Goy is essentially now acting lawfully with a citizen's arrest perogative: the verbal command to desist before the situation escalates to a deadly level and he beans the misanthropic asperger's adversary, Mr. Spade, in self defense against a perceived deadly threat with a snow shovel. The returning with another firearm after the initial infliction of felony deadly assault leaves no doubt as to where the real problem lies. NO IMHO 'bout it!
The couple involved appear to be the "butter don't melt in my mouth" types who would still be alive if they had been more street-smart and/or hadn't been garbage neighbors. Guy went into his house to get his gun - that's your cue to go home - not follow him bellowing invectives. It appears he first fired warning shots - they should have run. He goes back home to get a second gun, they should have been running home. Based upon the below (from the Pocono Record), I'd almost be inclined to say they possibly deserved it since they apparently had had arguments previously - they went out of their way to throw their snow in his yard - across the street from their yard - threw a tool at him, and kept verbally abusing him - even when they saw he had a gun in his hand. Their "he'll never shoot us even as we continue harangueing him" attitude and utter lack of self-awareness of their own safety is what got them killed.

"Officers found James and Lisa Goy dead in the street, and heard a gunshot from Spaide's home that authorities believe was from his self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Prosecutors said the Goys and Spaide had been involved in prior disputes, and that witness accounts and surveillance video showed the deadly encounter took place as Spaide was shoveling snow and the Goys were clearing their cars.

As the Goys cleared their parking spots, they pushed snow across the street and threw it onto Spaide's property, prosecutors said.

Spaide asked them to stop, leading to a heated exchange during which James Goy threw a tool he was using to clear snow from his car and approached his neighbor in the street, prosecutors said.

When James Goy cocked his fist, Spaide retreated into his house as the Goys continued yelling and cursing at him, according to prosecutors.

James Goy threatened Spaide and made obscene gestures at him before Spaide emerged from his house with a pistol.

Prosecutors said the Goys acknowledged Spaide holding a gun, but that they continued shouting names at him from the middle of the street.

The Goys did not react when Spaide initially opened fire, and both were eventually shot, prosecutors said.

After firing multiple rounds at short range, Spaide went into his house to get an AR-15-style rifle, which he used to shoot the injured Goys again, killing them, prosecutors said."
Old 02-07-21, 08:35 PM   #24
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
I'm not blaming the two who got shot...but sometimes when you poke the bear, it eats you.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 10:36 AM   #25
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
I'm not blaming the two who got shot...but sometimes when you poke the bear, it eats you.
I wont victim blam either - but this fued didnt start on the day of the shooting. I'm sure bad blood has been at a simmer with these two camps for a while, and it reached its boil on the day of the shooting.

Was the guy right to shoot them? for heaven's sake no

Was the couple right for antagonizing and instigating and nagging him? not at all

are certain groups right for calling this "another AR-15 killing" when it clearly was not that? Nope... and before the bodies have cooled off we all get to have another gun control debate.

if you ask me, both parties have a hand in this wrong. and say both could have handled it drastically better is an understatement.

however, things like this have happened forever. people havnt gotten worse, its just the world has gotten smaller and this sort of "bad news" is worldwide overnight
Old 02-08-21, 11:48 AM   #26
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
I wont victim blam either - but this fued didnt start on the day of the shooting. I'm sure bad blood has been at a simmer with these two camps for a while, and it reached its boil on the day of the shooting.

Was the guy right to shoot them? for heaven's sake no

Was the couple right for antagonizing and instigating and nagging him? not at all

are certain groups right for calling this "another AR-15 killing" when it clearly was not that? Nope... and before the bodies have cooled off we all get to have another gun control debate.

if you ask me, both parties have a hand in this wrong. and say both could have handled it drastically better is an understatement.

however, things like this have happened forever. people havnt gotten worse, its just the world has gotten smaller and this sort of "bad news" is worldwide overnight
I would ask the question - would this have happened in a society where *everyone* is potentially armed and where civility is more common? Is it true that an armed society is a polite society?
Old 02-08-21, 12:19 PM   #27
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
I would ask the question - would this have happened in a society where *everyone* is potentially armed and where civility is more common? Is it true that an armed society is a polite society?
Cane killed able with a rock
Old 02-08-21, 12:21 PM   #28
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
Cane killed able with a rock
But if Abel also had a rock...
Old 02-08-21, 12:21 PM   #29
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
"Smile when you say that, Pa'dner"

Old 02-08-21, 12:29 PM   #30
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
"Smile when you say that, Pa'dner"
I never felt unsafe when I lived in SE Idaho - and I'd often see people walk into the drugstore, buy a gun, and walk out with it in hand 15 minutes later. Or all of the people walking around open-carry.

Compare that to Philly where they're a bunch of lawless maniacs and you have no idea who is armed, who is high, who is off their meds - or a combination of all three.

*Everywhere* I've lived that has permissive gun laws, I've never felt unsafe and the crime rate was low. Everywhere I've live with restrictive laws, the opposite occurred - or at least it felt that way.

Tags
shooter