SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-11-17, 01:25 PM   #1
JesterV2
A-ganger

Downloads: 208
Uploads: 4
Default USS Requin GUPPY I Submarine Mod

USS Requin GUPPY I Version 1.01

Quote:
USS Requin, a Tench-class submarine, was the only ship of the United States Navy to be named after the requin, French for shark. Since 1990 it has been a museum ship at The Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Her keel was laid down on 24 August 1944 by the Portsmouth Navy Yard in Kittery, Maine. She was launched on 1 January 1945 sponsored by Mrs. Slade D. Cutter, and commissioned on 28 April 1945 with Commander Slade D. Cutter in command.

From June through August 1959 the Charleston Navy Yard in South Carolina removed all Requin’s radar equipment and improved her streamlining. Upon her conversion to Fleet Snorkel configuration, she was given hull classification symbol SS-481 on 15 August 1959, and rejoined SubRon 6 in Norfolk for operations as a normal attack submarine, a role she retained until her decommissioning.

Requin conducted local operations off the East Coast and in the Caribbean Sea. In the summer of 1961 "Requin" served as a target for Task Group Alpha led by USS Saratoga CVA 60. "Requin" conducted a periscope approach on Saratoga and launched a simulated torpedo attack. Then a helicopter dropped an exercise torpedo on "Requin" which hit forward and made several re-attacks bouncing down the port side of the submarine. On 20 September 1963, Requin completed her 5000th dive. From 7 January 1964 into May she operated with the Sixth Fleet, then resumed her Second Fleet duties into 1968, interrupted only twice for extended deployments. Operation UNITAS VII in the fall of 1966 called for Requin to cruise around the South American continent for exercises with various South American navies and her last Sixth Fleet deployment sent her back to the Mediterranean for duty from 4 April to 27 July 1967.

Requin’s last Mediterranean deployment began on 4 April 1967. On 8 June, just as she completed a series of exercises with the U.S. Sixth Fleet, she received word that the U.S. signals intelligence ship Liberty (AGTR-5) was under attack. Requin’s crew prepared to go to the defense of Liberty, but received orders from the Sixth Fleet commander to surface and proceed to Crete.

On 28 May 1968, during her last deployment before decommissioning, Requin departed Norfolk, Virginia, as part of the search effort for the missing nuclear attack submarine Scorpion (SSN-589). On 29 June 1968, Requin was reclassified AGSS-481 and in October 1968 she began inactivation at Naval Station Norfolk. Decommissioned on 3 December 1968, she was towed to St. Petersburg, Florida in February 1969 and served there as a non-powered Naval Reserve training vessel for Naval Reserve Center St. Petersburg, adjacent to Albert Whitted Airport and Coast Guard Air Station St. Petersburg. On 30 June 1971 Requin was reclassified as IXSS-481, and on 20 December 1971 she was struck from the Naval Vessel Register.

JesterV2
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=320299

I'm proud to introduce my very first submarine mod!

You can start your career in 1941 at the base in Manilla.

Installation: Unpack everything in your JSGME MODS folder,you can choose either the historical version or the museum version.
These are paint schemes as they were in the time period as stated, black for historical and a black white for museum.
Be sure that the Requin mod is the last mod in you JSGME list.

Changelog
-----------
Version 1.0
<no changelog for first version>

Version 1.01
-Fixed periscope depth (the subs were visible to destroyers at periscope depth)
-Repositioned periscopes

Terms of use
------------
- This model is free and anyone downloading and using it should not obtain any kind of material advantages from it.
- You are free to host this mod, reference it or post links leading to it.
- If you want to use it in one of your mods, feel free to do it, and notify me.
- If you want to modify the model and/or use parts from it into other projects of yours, feel free to do that, but credit me for the orriginal work (and notify me, please!).

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
CapnScurvy
Rockin Robbins
Delanski
J0313
Propbeanie
ETR3(SS)

For providing Information and Support! They deserve as much credit for this mod as i do, I cannot thank you guys enough!

I hope to bring you more mods to enjoy, and its an honour to contribute to this great community!

Feel free to criticise and point me to possible improvements, I'm here to learn!

download: USS Requin

Last edited by JesterV2; 01-11-17 at 03:15 PM.
JesterV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 01:43 PM   #2
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Wow ... You're pretty fast.

If you create even more GUPPY units, you would need an alternative career after 1945 ... where Germany was defeated, but the Manhatten project was not there and thus the war with Japan went on.

Well - and then there would be the Soviets ...

Gruß Ralle
Old 01-11-17, 02:46 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Congratulations on your achievement JesterV2, and I do thank you for the "Thank You", though it was not necessary. Of course, I did lift a pencil the one time when I was thinking about your mod... almost sprained my wrist - definitely the brain... looks very good.

Oooohhh... I got the premier copy! How does one go about getting an autograph on this I wonder...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 03:13 PM   #4
JesterV2
A-ganger

hold it guys! a new version is already up!
i fixed the periscope depth and periscope positions

Very good idea Bleiente! something to consider in the future

@propbeanie go and lie down mate, you deserve it after that hard work!
Old 01-11-17, 05:02 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Jester, you had it right to begin with. Requin is a Fleet Snorkel boat not a Guppy I.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 05:36 PM   #6
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1755
Uploads: 0
Default Thank's Jester.

Your work is great Jester and I hope you keep it up. I noticed you gave me credit. I don't feel I deserve it because I didn't do anything but thanks, all the same. Keep up the good work old boy!
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 06:32 PM   #7
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Very pretty

Outstanding work

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 12:23 AM   #8
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

<<< zeitweilig unzurechnungsfähig

Last edited by Bleiente; 01-12-17 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 02:40 AM   #9
JesterV2
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Jester, you had it right to begin with. Requin is a Fleet Snorkel boat not a Guppy I.
You are correct sir! But in line of what I'm planning in the future, I decided that this parallel iteration of the Requin is what it was planned to have been, a GUPPY I modified sub. I also thought it would be easier to recognise in all the mod soup with a GUPPY tag, and to avoid the misconception of this sub having a snorkel, which it doesn't.
Old 01-12-17, 07:48 AM   #10
Delanski
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 116

Hey congratz on your first mod man! I was stoked to see both [REL] and GUPPY together on the forum index this morning at work. Downloaded as soon as I got home and I have to say you did an absolute stellar job. Good on ya

And thanks for the mention. Looking forward to see what's coming next.
Delanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 01:47 PM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterV2 View Post
You are correct sir! But in line of what I'm planning in the future, I decided that this parallel iteration of the Requin is what it was planned to have been, a GUPPY I modified sub. I also thought it would be easier to recognise in all the mod soup with a GUPPY tag, and to avoid the misconception of this sub having a snorkel, which it doesn't.
That's justified. Hope a snorkel can be in the future but you're doing the right thing releasing now. Great job!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 04:50 PM   #12
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Downloads: 290

Excellent work. Thank you for your time. I have only one small issue. I downloaded your "historical" version to try out and once installed with JGME and set up a patrol, went underway, shift colors, then set to climb to the bridge and low and behold, there is none. lol Literally, there is no conning tower. ; )

P.S. Just tried the Museum version as well and there is no conning tower. External view just shows a flat deck. Any suggestions on an "In-Game" Screenshot program so I can post the pics?

Jack
Museum Version

Historical

Last edited by Navigator857; 01-12-17 at 06:09 PM.
Navigator857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 05:46 PM   #13
Fevereiro
Swabbie

Downloads: 24

What a Beauty, Im a fan of the Oberon class, that looks just like the Guppys, so this is bliss to me!
Fevereiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 05:55 PM   #14
Delanski
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator857 View Post
Excellent work. Thank you for your time. I have only one small issue. I downloaded your "historical" version to try out and once installed with JGME and set up a patrol, went underway, shift colors, then set to climb to the bridge and low and behold, there is none. lol Literally, there is no conning tower. ; )

P.S. Just tried the Museum version as well and there is no conning tower. External view just shows a flat deck. Any suggestions on an "In-Game" Screenshot program so I can post the pics?

Jack
I had the same problem as well but that was until I turned off the TMO mod.
Delanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-17, 12:30 AM   #15
JesterV2
A-ganger

Hmmm.... If only i could make it compatible with TMO, anyone know how to do that?

Tags
guppy, mod, requin, submarine, uss