SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-31-15, 08:51 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

SHO SILENT HUNTER 4: WOLVES OF THE PACIFIC – PIG BOAT PATROL

Article by Erik "EINSTEINEP" Pierce on Mudspike

Nice flashback article about SH4, with a thoughtful shoutout to you and Subsim. I love articles that examine a game made in the past. Good job, Erik. Enjoy!

SILENT HUNTER 4: WOLVES OF THE PACIFIC – PIG BOAT PATROL

Quote:
The visuals in Silent Hunter 4 are very good, especially considering the game was released in 2007. While the number of polygons on the submarines and ships is certainly at 2007-era levels, the water – a key aspect of the submarine environment – is done superbly, even by today’s standards. The wave models are quite believable and the way transparency is handled is amazing – difficult to capture in pictures and even harder to describe in words, the water is just done right. Reflections of ships, smoke, the sun and moon feel natural and ship hulls gradually disappear from view in the deeper water. Bow waves, water spray and foam, and propeller cavitation effects are blocky and primitive, but quite reasonable considering how difficult it was for any graphics engine to do particles in 2007.

Onkel Neal is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 10:24 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Nice!
Old 03-31-15, 04:56 PM   #3
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Good one, saw this linked too on FB-makes me want to fire SH up again.
joea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 07:06 PM   #4
Millipede
Swabbie

Downloads: 82

Marvelous AAR and it has inspired me to get back into SH4. It's been several years since I last tried to master the beast but I really want to give it another shot.

I finally gave up on my last attempt after I had absolutely no luck in hitting anything! I am playing with the TMO mod (nothing else) on realistic mode and I can't hit a thing. After reading your AAR, it occurs to me that the incorrect mast height data could be the problem (first I've ever heard of this bug. Hey, I'm pretty much a rookie ). The TMO info doesn't mention this problem at all, so I'm wondering if a correction was included. If it isn't, I'd like to add in the mod to correct it (even a printed correction chart would help). Unfortunately, after examining page after page of available mods, I can't seem to find it. Anyone have a link or suggestion?
Millipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 08:07 PM   #5
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Nice to see that, like a handful of boats, SH4 hasn't been completely handed over to the scrappers' yard.
Old 03-31-15, 08:12 PM   #6
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Great story

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 08:23 PM   #7
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nicely done :-)

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 09:07 PM   #8
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

great read
Old 04-01-15, 09:17 AM   #9
adrians69
Engineer

Downloads: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millipede View Post
Marvelous AAR and it has inspired me to get back into SH4. It's been several years since I last tried to master the beast but I really want to give it another shot.

I finally gave up on my last attempt after I had absolutely no luck in hitting anything! I am playing with the TMO mod (nothing else) on realistic mode and I can't hit a thing. After reading your AAR, it occurs to me that the incorrect mast height data could be the problem (first I've ever heard of this bug. Hey, I'm pretty much a rookie ). The TMO info doesn't mention this problem at all, so I'm wondering if a correction was included. If it isn't, I'd like to add in the mod to correct it (even a printed correction chart would help). Unfortunately, after examining page after page of available mods, I can't seem to find it. Anyone have a link or suggestion?

Download the OTC 1.5 mod for TMO. You'll find it in these forums. This will correct the problem with wrong mast height data as well as a few other things!

adrians69

Click here to view my MS Flight Simulator X, Silent Hunter, Space Shuttle Mission Simulator, X Plane 11 & Train Simulator 2020 screenshots!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrians69/
adrians69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-15, 02:38 PM   #10
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Nice to see SH4 still getting kudos. IMO, one of the best subsims available.
Old 04-01-15, 04:15 PM   #11
EinsteinEP
Watch

Downloads: 21

Thanks to all for the comments, hope you enjoy! Silent Hunter 4 spent a lot of time gathering dust on my shelf, but I'm so glad I gave it another patrol. It's so addicting! And not just the technical aspect - the tactics - which is so engrossing, but the overall strategy and challenges that pop up.

For example, currently the S-27 is at a crossroads - en route to her patrol in the Luzon straight, COMSUBPAC has closed Manila, shifting the ship's base to Java which is 1800+ nautical miles away - not a short stretch for a Group I sugar boat. The S-27 has a theoretical max range of 3,000 nautical miles and the decision wasn't timed with our last refueling! The ship is 300 nautical miles from their assigned patrol up in the Luzon Straits, has eight torpedoes on board, and just got a radio contact of a large convoy 30 nautical miles away.

As skipper, I'm not worried about whether or not I've got enough fuel to engage the convoy, I'm worried that I'll engage the convoy, be down another four torpedoes, get to my patrol area with a mere four torps (or less, depending on how bad/good the convoy attack goes) and then have to cruise around at super slow speeds to stretch endurance (not range!) until I meet my patrol objectives. THEN I'll need to start the massive trek down to Surabaya. Seems like one heck of an adventure to just bring along four fish. But then, I can't let that Jap convoy just sail on by, either...
EinsteinEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 03:11 PM   #12
Millipede
Swabbie

Downloads: 82

Thanks adrians69. I finally figured out that OTC 1.5 was what I needed but, unfortunately, I appear to have other problems. I figured that I'd start from scratch, so I deleted SH4 Gold w/TMO mod. After reinstalling SH4 Gold and adding JGSME to the root directory, I can't get TMO, or any other mod, to work. I've spent hours trying many different ideas, I've uninstalled and reinstalled SH4 etc. so many times that I've lost count and I still can't get any mod to work! What in the world am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
Millipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-15, 10:31 AM   #13
Capt. D
Helmsman

Downloads: 8
Default Wanting to get back "in the saddle"

It's been almost 6 years since I last sailed the Pacific Blue in SH4. Recently I have been viewing the You Tube presentations and have the urge to get back on the scope. I noticed some "new" features (?) that I do not believe my original sim had. E.G. what appears to be a table on the right side of the map screen; more voice interaction when diving or surfacing, and the gauges for speed, course and depth seem to be different as well as a new gauge when the TDC is activated on the right side of the screen. Also the tabs on the lower left of the screen seems to be changed? Are these mods or do new versions of SH4 sold have these already? In addition I noticed something strange when someone went "through" the forward hatch from the control room to the forward battery area it sure did not appear to be a US sub but more a German VII?
Capt. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-15, 12:38 PM   #14
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

You could have been viewing a U-boat in the U-boat Missions game.

I think that Silent Hunter 4 and Unreal Tournament III are about the only two games of that age that have aged really, really well. When I'm playing SH4 I feel like I'm playing a current quality game.

It's a shame that simulations can't make a game company enough money to get any love from them.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mudspike, silent hunter 4