SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-18-14, 03:58 PM   #1
John D. Dakty
Swabbie

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default Clock/Stopwatch Toggle

Hello skippers!

When Time Compression is increased above a certain level the Clock is automatically shown and again removed if reduced or paused.

I have been searching a while for a way to prevent the clock from "vanishing" after I return to Normal Gameplay from Time Compression.
Is there a .cfg File I could modify to achieve this or is it hard-coded in the .exe?

Also is there a way I could assign a Key to toogle the stopwatch on/off?(I mean not the visibility of the Clock, but actually starting and stopping it)
I did not find anything in the commands.cfg file...

I appreciate any help. And I'm sorry if there is already a thread about this, but I did not find anything.
John D. Dakty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-14, 02:40 AM   #2
Klaus
Officer

Downloads: 614

The key already exist, is "x", if doesn't work for you maybe you have a mod that prevent this
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-14, 04:20 AM   #3
John D. Dakty
Swabbie

Seem like you didn't read my post completely...(or didn't understand it)

I said toggle the actual Stopwatch function of the clock and not the visibility of it.
So for instance go to periscope, click on KEY, observe whatever you want to observe, press KEY again, and then go to the navigation map, show the Clock/Stopwatch and use the measured Interval for whatever thing you want.

But anyway, thank you for the response.
Old 10-19-14, 10:05 AM   #4
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

John D, as I remember there is not a keyboard function available to start/stop the clock (the game calls it a Chronometer.....those silly Europeanians....in America we would call it a Stop Watch). There is a keyboard key for making it appear. Some mods use the stock "X" key, OTC uses the "C" key.

You start/stop the Stop Watch by mouse clicking the "Stem" at the top of the watch. No other way to do it. There is no "Command" that I know of for starting/stopping the watch.

One word of caution, when you restart the watch by mouse clicking the stem, the watch will revert back to zero. A better way of stopping the time is to "Pause" the game. The only problem with that is if you ran the watch to a specific elapsed time while at the Periscope Station, then wanted to go to the Navigation Map, you won't be able to because the game is paused. You can do one of two things, either un-pause the game, strike the Nav Map station button to go to the map, then pause the game again (losing only a second or two). Or, let the watch get to a time just before you want to mark/stop the watch, shift to the Navigation Map, then pause the game. While paused, you'll find you have the ability to use all of the Map Tools available to plot or whatever, yet still have your stop watch available to march on when you wish to restart.

The game developers did realize that you're trying to do several things all at once, with only one person doing them (unlike in real life, you'd have a full crew). So, the Nav Map, and the other Stations, can be used with the game paused. Doing tasks that normally would have been done by several other crew members simultaneously.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 10-19-14 at 08:18 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-14, 01:05 PM   #5
John D. Dakty
Swabbie

Hello again, CapnScurvy!!!

Seems like a must be really getting on your nerves.

I'm really surprised by your answer. For the past 2 years that I have been playing Silent Hunter 4, the Stopwatch/Chronometer has worked just fine for me.

By that I mean, when I click on the Stem the Stopwatch/Chronometer starts counting elapsed time. If I click again on the Stem the Stopwatch/Chronometer stops, and shows the elapsed time between the two clicks (like it's supposed to do). No need to pause anything.
If you click on the Stem again it starts counting again from zero.

Makes me really wonder if we are talking about the same Game...

And again, thank you for the response.
Old 10-19-14, 08:07 PM   #6
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

No, we're talking about the same thing. There's times when you start the Stop Watch (pushing down the stem), you'll want to stop it at a certain elapsed time to check the targets speed by measuring its distance traveled during that time. By using the game pause key, you'll stop the watch....and the game itself, to check something (like how far the target may have traveled on the Nav Map, provided you marked the targets position when you started the watch). By not using the stem to stop the watch, you won't return to zero the next time you un-pause the game. This allows you to keep a longer elapsed time going on the watch.....which will provide you with a more accurate estimate of target speed when plotting its traveled distance on the Map. The longer you follow the target, keeping track of its relative position to the sub, and plotting its position on the Nav Map, the greater the accuracy for both gleaning AoB or target speed.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 10-20-14 at 08:19 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 01:40 AM   #7
John D. Dakty
Swabbie

Ahh,

now I got what you tried to tell me.

Thanks again for the good tip, I never thought of that. I was always restarting the Stopwatch and adding the latest elapsed time with the previous for more precision (which was inaccurate).

Thanks again CaptnScurvy

Tags
clock, stopwatch, toggle