SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-19-16, 07:55 AM   #61
SkyBaron
Lieutenant

Downloads: 673
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
any chance to make a magui compatible version of this mod ?
Really nice work
Maybe in the future, right now I'm (slowly)working on another mod that you might like about celestial navigation. Anyway I'll send you a PM with a few questions about the magui interface maybe it won't be as hard to do it.
SkyBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-16, 08:01 AM   #62
SkyBaron
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
This awesome mod should definitely become part of TWoS IMO and I have already done some testing with ingame messages. I've tried to make encrypted combat orders for secondary missions (patrol grid, reposition orders ect) but that wont be so easy because we can use only decoding data for current ingame year...

Is it possible somehow to make it possible to use , for example, decoding data for 1939 even if ingame year is 1940?

Encrypting other campaign mesages is pretty straight forward process but those messages are quite rare (base transfers and occasional reports of ingame scripted convoys) .
Hi vdr1981, I sent you a PM before about this mod but I think it got lost

I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking, are you encoding messages with the EME application for different years and want to test them in game?

Save
Old 08-19-16, 08:20 AM   #63
kevinsue
Der Einzelgänger

Downloads: 363
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBaron View Post
Maybe in the future, right now I'm (slowly)working on another mod that you might like about celestial navigation. Anyway I'll send you a PM with a few questions about the magui interface maybe it won't be as hard to do it.
Fantastic! after seeing your Enigma mod this morning, I was thinking all we need now is to get Celestial navigation up and running properly and this game would go ahead in leaps and bounds as far as realism is concerned. Delving through the files as I was doing today makes you appreciate how much work and talent you guys put into making these mods possible.

"The finest Captain I ever crossed swords and set sail with"
kevinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-16, 08:49 AM   #64
kevinsue
Der Einzelgänger

Downloads: 363
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Thank you very much SkyBaron for one of the geekiest mod for SH games ever!

This awesome mod should definitely become part of TWoS IMO and I have already done some testing with ingame messages. I've tried to make encrypted combat orders for secondary missions (patrol grid, reposition orders ect) but that wont be so easy because we can use only decoding data for current ingame year...

Is it possible somehow to make it possible to use , for example, decoding data for 1939 even if ingame year is 1940?

Encrypting other campaign mesages is pretty straight forward process but those messages are quite rare (base transfers and occasional reports of ingame scripted convoys) .
G'day Vecko, if you run the EME.exe from the desktop, you can select any year, month and day from 1939 - 1945 to encrypt from the dropdown menu. When in game, as I discovered trying to replicate the example in the manual, I was only able to get access to the ingame year which was 1939 and the example was for 1942 so I couldn't select 1942 to stay in sync with the example Skybaron was referring to. I'm just heading out to the NW Approaches patrol, November 1939 and trying to get Bdu to send encoded messages for me to practise on. Had no luck yet but I think it's more to do with the amount of Old Tawney Port i've had while trying...bad habit I picked up while visiting Portugal.

"The finest Captain I ever crossed swords and set sail with"
kevinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-16, 09:15 AM   #65
SkyBaron
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsue View Post
I was only able to get access to the ingame year which was 1939 and the example was for 1942 so I couldn't select 1942 to stay in sync with the example Skybaron was referring to.
You gave me an idea, I think I'll create a package with practicing missions to go along with the examples in the manual, that will make it easier to match the dates.

Save
Old 08-19-16, 09:47 AM   #66
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Hi vdr1981, I sent you a PM before about this mod but I think it got lost

I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking, are you encoding messages with the EME application for different years and want to test them in game?

Save
yes. I saw your PM just a few days ago but I didnt have time to answer it or to check the mod, sry...

Anyway, I'm talking about combat radio orders located in data/Campaigns/Campaign Projects/Missions folder (.tsr files).
I think that it would be really cool and realistic to receive encrypted orders about patrol grid relocation ect. But, there is a problem because one and the same message can be sent to the player both in 1939 and 1940. Now, If I encrypt message with 1939 encryption, the player will not be able to decipher it if current in game year is 1940.

The problem could be avoided if we could see ciphering data for 1939 even if ingame year is 1940.

Do you understand now what I mean?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-16, 10:50 AM   #67
SkyBaron
Lieutenant

Quote:
The problem could be avoided if we could see ciphering data for 1939 even if ingame year is 1940.

Do you understand now what I mean?
I see what you mean, I'll try to create a version where you can select the year as well. I was under the impression that all messages had a date and time interval trigger, I think I was only looking at the radiomessages folder.

Save
Old 08-19-16, 11:20 AM   #68
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
I see what you mean, I'll try to create a version where you can select the year as well. I was under the impression that all messages had a date and time interval trigger, I think I was only looking at the radiomessages folder.

Save
That would be truly excellent!

Messages from "Radio messages" folder are not problematic but they are quite rare and most of the time irrelevant (with a exception of occasional base transfer orders)...
Old 08-19-16, 05:01 PM   #69
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Aperantly, I don't know what am I doing here...

Awesome work Sky Baron... Thank you once again!.
Old 08-19-16, 05:52 PM   #70
SkyBaron
Lieutenant

Quote:
Aperantly, I don't know what am I doing here...

Awesome work Sky Baron... Thank you once again!.

Can you type the whole encoded message here as well as the day/month/year? If you make a mistake in the setting up process or misread a letter from the settings, or a plug board connection, the whole message might come out as gibberish.

The whole process is based on the actual procedure used back then, so it might take a while to get the hang of it.

Save
Old 08-19-16, 07:17 PM   #71
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Can you type the whole encoded message here as well as the day/month/year? If you make a mistake in the setting up process or misread a letter from the settings, or a plug board connection, the whole message might come out as gibberish.

Save
Hehe, just ignore that screenshot. I was just familiarizing my self with mouse click spots...
Old 08-20-16, 04:49 AM   #72
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Is there no way that the encoder can be coded into the UI script so that the game can encrypt them on the spot, based on current year, month and location? I know that would probably entail a lot of work, but I am just wondering if it would be possible at all.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 06:58 AM   #73
Kapizi
Seaman

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0

Very nice but to much for me

Carry on
Old 08-20-16, 09:23 AM   #74
SkyBaron
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Is there no way that the encoder can be coded into the UI script so that the game can encrypt them on the spot, based on current year, month and location? I know that would probably entail a lot of work, but I am just wondering if it would be possible at all.
Maybe, I'd have to go through TDW's radiomessages script to understand how it handles messages and see if it is possible and how to do it, and that takes time. But even then messages might get too long and tedious to decode if using the default messages. If you take a look at some of the links in the manual you'll see that real messages were short and abbreviated, I wrote the guidelines on Part II of the manual with that in mind for more realism. If you are to go through the original messages and shorten them, you might as well encode them with the supplied application, it's just a simple step.

I might write a tool that would help with encoding the combat radio orders as they show up more frequently like vdr1981 said.

Save
Old 08-20-16, 10:18 AM   #75
vdr1981
Navy Seal

In my opinion it's OK just the way it is now...Encrypting all the radio traffic in SH world would be too much really and not even realistic.

I have already encrypted a numbers of campaign radio communications up to 1942. For now, the idea is not to force the player to decipher occasional encrypted communications, but doing so player will make his "life" at least a bit easier and patrol more interesting...

Optional addon for grid reposition combat order would also be cool , IF you can come up with solution for mentioned in game current year problem...

Tags
enigma, sh5