SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-13, 04:51 PM   #16
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

One of the most brilliant mod proposals ever - for any Silent Hunter simulation! Hopefully it's a reality soon. Thank you for your devotion to the game.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 05:12 PM   #17
LemonA
Lieutenant

Downloads: 66

Looks exceptional strong.

Can we use the ingame Enigma if the game is not paused?
Is the Engime encipher tool (used by modders) for Win XP?
So we have to type in all the ciphered incoming messages and no copy and paste to put the message into the enigma?
Old 06-18-13, 06:13 PM   #18
SkyBaron
Lieutenant

Downloads: 673
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
One of the most brilliant mod proposals ever - for any Silent Hunter simulation! Hopefully it's a reality soon. Thank you for your devotion to the game.

Thanks iambecomelife, I've enjoyed many of your mods for SHIII! All the coding, graphics and scripting are done but it still needs a few more tweaks and some more testing (and solve eventual bugs that might come up on another systems). I'd say it's 80% ready. I also need to add the campaign messages for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonA View Post
Looks exceptional strong.

Can we use the ingame Enigma if the game is not paused?
Yes, but if you want to type in the message with your keyboard(instead of clicking the virtual Enigma keys) you have to be paused, otherwise the game captures the key presses as commands.

Quote:
Is the Engime encipher tool (used by modders) for Win XP?
It should work on XP.

Quote:
So we have to type in all the ciphered incoming messages and no copy and paste to put the message into the enigma?
Yes, just like the real thing. The radio operator would write down the enciphered message from the Morse code transmission and then proceed to type in the message and write the deciphered letters on the Schlüsselzettel form above. That's why I wrote that warning on the second paragraph. But like the actual Kriegsmarine messages, the ones for this mod will be abbreviated and as short as possible. Still auto message-deciphering, like the default game does, might be an option for future versions.

SkyBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-13, 09:08 PM   #19
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 77

There's a new radio message....better get to work #2!
finchOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-13, 08:56 AM   #20
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106

I can't wait to try out your mod. I can just imagine listening to the sound of the sea and the creaking of the hull as I decipher the incoming messages... This should add to the atmosphere immensely!
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-13, 10:14 AM   #21
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBaron View Post
Still auto message-deciphering, like the default game does, might be an option for future versions.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 03:31 PM   #22
LemonA
Lieutenant

Downloads: 66

Quote:

XVUO CMNL LHAN IXWK TOJJ IGEG WASP KWGS NELC JPBX
HICF AZLY PUUD OXBX AEZM EUEK BYSJ MYYS XVUO CMNL
XVUO_CMNL_LHAN_IXWK_.mp3 - 48 KB

(filesize 47kb, mp3) 80 letters, duration 48 sec. (goto free download button to the bottom of the page ..., wait 60 sec.)

more realistic radio communication = recording time for morse file should be longer what we have at the moment.

If message < 60 letter => short morse file
if message >= 60 letters < 100 letter => morse file duration longer
etc.
Old 06-24-13, 06:36 PM   #23
machiavelli
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
This is a mod I’ve been working on for a while and at the same time trying to learn Python scripting and the not-so-straight-forward SH5’s menu editor in the process… As well as doing some historical research on U-boats and their Enigma message system.

Firstly, I think the Enigma machine is pretty well known and doesn’t need any introduction.

Secondly, please understand that this will be a hardcore mod and will not be for everyone’s taste! If you never used any Enigma simulator, there will be a learning curve associated with the operation of the Enigma machine and how to use the Kriegsmarine’s procedure for decoding messages. Some users might also find it boring having to set up the machine, type and decode messages.

Having said that, I believe this mod will bring more historical realism to the message system in SH5. It will appeal specially to people, like me , who are interested in the Enigma machines used by U-boats during the war.

With this mod you’ll have to employ the same procedure used by real U-boat radio operators to decipher messages. For the purists who would argue that this is not realistic because it wasn’t the captain’s job to decipher messages, this mod will come with the convenient option of “not installing it”.

For historical accuracy and consistency, the terminology for settings, tables and documents will remain in the original German, but easy-to-follow instructions will be provided in English.

----------- Features:

1 - A fully working "Schlüssel M" model M4 naval Enigma:

It will be accessible through the radio operator’s menu:

The machine’s UI layout was inspired by Dirk Rijmenants’ popular Enigma simulator and has three configurations:

The closed cover view:

Opened cover view with rotor case:

The Steckerbrett (Plugboard) view:

2 - Implementation of actual Kriegsmarine cipher networks used during the war:

The naval Enigma used different cipher networks usually divided geographically. U-boats were issued envelopes with their assigned cipher network settings before going on patrol. Each cipher had its own daily key settings which meant that messages sent to a cipher network in the Atlantic could not be decoded by receivers in the Mediterranean for example.

This mod will implement the following cipher networks in SH5:

Hydra (known to the British code breakers as Dolphin) - For U-boats in the North Sea, English Channel, Baltic Sea and the Arctic.

Triton (Shark)- U-Boats in the North and South Atlantic

Medusa (Turtle) - U-Boats in the Mediterranean Sea

Poseidon (Grampus) - U-Boats in the Black Sea - …hoping that somebody will finally put a playable Type II in SH5

Tibet (Sunfish) - U-Boats in the Indian Ocean and other distant waters

Your U-boat will be issued only envelopes with codes that are related to the area where you’re located.

3 - Implementation of the Kenngruppen system used by the Kriegsmarine for U-Boat messages.

In-game campaign messages will be delivered as four-letter groups cryptograms, such as:

XVUO CMNL LHAN IXWK TOJJ IGEG WASP KWGS NELC JPBX
HICF AZLY PUUD OXBX AEZM EUEK BYSJ MYYS XVUO CMNL

The procedure you’ll have to follow will be thoroughly explained in the mod’s manual, but basically you will have to use the first two four-letter groups or Kenngruppen (indicator group) and:

- Do a couple of letter substitutions using tables;

- Use the Kenngruppenbuch (indicator groups book) to figure out in which cipher network the message was sent;

- Set the machine with the daily keys for that network;

- Decipher a four-letter message key encrypted in the beginning of the message;

- Finally proceed to decode the message.

This is just a quick overview. Everything will be explained in detail with examples.

Some of the in-game key sheets and tables that are implemented:

1 - Substitution tables, used to decipher the indicator group:

Actual tables:
http://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/c...6/000/full.jpg

In-game tables:

2 - Kenngruppenbuch (indicator groups book)

Actual book:
http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants...uppenbuch1.jpg

In-game book:

3 - Envelopes with daily settings:

Actual envelope:
http://www.enigma.hoerenberg.com/gal...ope_Triton.jpg

In-game envelopes:

Actual key sheets:
http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/pics/triton2.jpg
http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/pics/triton1.jpg

In-game sheets:

4 - Schlüsselzettel - form used to decode messages:

Original:
http://www.enigma.hoerenberg.com/gal...ttel_03_WS.jpg

In-game form, with an actual decoded message:

(The first column is the received radio message, second column the deciphered abbreviated message, third column is where you write what the message means.)

You can read more about this procedure here (scroll down to Kriegsmarine Procedures)
http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/en/enigmaproc.htm

…and here:
http://www.enigma.hoerenberg.com/ind...gruppen System

4 – An external message application to edit, add and encipher messages.

Modders will be able to add/edit messages as well as generate new randomized code sheets and tables. Guidelines will be provided on how to write short and abbreviated radio messages.

This mod will require TDW’s UI. Also note that not all messages will be enciphered, it’s intended for messages that are campaign related --it'll use the campaign_radiomessages.txt file.

I intend to release this mod with formatted messages relevant to the OHII campaign. Since I'll be busy with the mod itself on my free time, if anybody is interested and could help by providing information of in-game events that are related to the campaign send me a PM please.

This is still a WIP! There’s no release date yet!

I’ll be looking for beta testers later on. Preferably people with experience using any Enigma simulator and already familiar with the Kenngruppen system.

You can read more about the naval Enigma here: http://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/enigma/m4/index.htm

A video explaining the inner workings of the Enigma machine:

Here’s a documentary on the subject:

Curious how you did this.... Did you use a hex editor on the .exe to implement this in game?
Old 06-24-13, 06:54 PM   #24
machiavelli
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli View Post
Curious how you did this.... Did you use a hex editor on the .exe to implement this in game?
Please ignore my last comment, I just found out there was a menu editor fo SH5. But I don't know where to find it yet.
Old 06-30-13, 03:26 AM   #25
Sartoris
Captain

How is work progressing on this mod? Can't wait to try it in the game!
Old 07-09-13, 04:46 PM   #26
KarlSteiner
Bosun

Downloads: 257
Default Enigmasim

Hi SkyBaron,

this would be a good idea!

But I think it is a fake, only!

this Karl Steiner

Last edited by KarlSteiner; 07-17-13 at 04:59 PM.
KarlSteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 06:23 PM   #27
Sartoris
Captain

Really, really hoping this isn't dead. Would love to see it released.
Old 07-20-13, 06:25 PM   #28
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartoris View Post
Really, really hoping this isn't dead. Would love to see it released.
I highly doubt you'll see it. It's a massive undertaking to do that in Python. I tried (and am still trying) to get an Enigma app to show up in the game. The only problem I currently have is relaying key events and mouse events to it.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 06:30 PM   #29
Sartoris
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I highly doubt you'll see it. It's a massive undertaking to do that in Python. I tried (and am still trying) to get an Enigma app to show up in the game. The only problem I currently have is relaying key events and mouse events to it.
That's great, I didn't know you have also been working on adding the enigma to sh5. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 07-21-13, 06:11 AM   #30
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlSteiner View Post
Hi SkyBaron,

this would be a good idea!

But I think it is a fake, only!

this Karl Steiner
Quote:
I highly doubt you'll see it. It's a massive undertaking to do that in Python.
As far as I could see from SkyBaron's post at pafe #1, this project seemed in an advanced stage of development already

For sure, though being the least part of the project in terms of difficulty, SkyBaron's graphics look awesome.

Quote:
I tried (and am still trying) to get an Enigma app to show up in the game. The only problem I currently have is relaying key events and mouse events to it.
IIRC, SkyBaron said something about the game needing to be paused for key events to be passed on to his enygma code.

It would be nice if you joined your forces for accomplishing the project
gap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enigma, sh5