SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: What do you guys want to happen
do you want it alive sitll 11 78.57%
SH4 takers 4 28.57%
SH5 Takers still 0 0%
SH5 takers want to still see it 0 0%
does anyone like Sh4 still 5 35.71%
do you guys really want to see SHO 2 14.29%
What are your opinions on this. 1 7.14%
Any takers of SHO 0 0%
how many people are ready to see SHO 0 0%
do you think SHO was a bad idea for Ubisoft 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-12, 05:47 PM   #1
Greekgod
Nub

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0
who still likes SH4

Look guys I know SH5 and SHO is coming out but seriously. there is no reason to back down Silent hunter 4 when it was a good game to begin with already.

I Just to say Im still a fan of Sh4 because the fires in Sh5 is a bit uncalled for not realistic at all.
Greekgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 06:00 PM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Asking in the 4 forum will probably get you the answer you're looking for, but not from me, didn't like it even with U-boats added or any mods. I realise that here I'm likely to be a lone, but honest, voice. : salute:
Old 08-18-12, 06:55 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

As Herr-Berbunch said, all you have to do is look around to see that many people still play SH4, and many more still play SH3. Your poll has too many variables for me to vote in it, but

WELCOME ABOARD!
Old 08-19-12, 08:53 AM   #4
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

What's SH V?
nikimcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-12, 09:41 AM   #5
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
What's SH V?
It was a proposed u-boat simulator. I think they scrapped it and went with some other project instead.
Old 08-19-12, 09:45 AM   #6
troopie
Captain

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
It was a proposed u-boat simulator. I think they scrapped it and went with some other project instead.
Yeah, it was called 'SHO' I think!
troopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-12, 04:46 PM   #7
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post

dont you have to put a quarter in the slot to play that sh5 game?

as steve mentioned, you have way to many random questions on your list and most are not even choices so i dont see anything to vote on either

IMO this is the wrong forum to be asking this question because obviously anyone in this forum is playing sh4. your post should have been in the sh5 forum if you want to know what sh5 players think about sh4

Last edited by Webster; 08-20-12 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-19-12, 06:21 PM   #8
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Sorry, I was using Tapatalk on my phone so didn't get to see the poll before I replied above.

Now the other replies all make sense. How can 'What are your opinions on this?' be answered by voting for it?
Old 08-20-12, 11:28 AM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I don't even know how to read the poll! It makes no sense whatever. "What do we think should happen?" Then a list of nonsensical option. I can't answer this poll at all.

I like SH4 a lot. It fixed the save game issue with SH3 that kept me from playing it in career mode. I feel much better playing as the Americans than I do playing as the Germans in a simulator that had zero credibility. After all, the indispensible aspect of the German submarine war was the wolfpack and in SH3 you are the only U-Boat in the universe. U-Boats without wolfpacks is as realistic as American submarines in the Mojave desert.

I also liked the aspect that very little is known publically about the American submarine war, while the U-Boat war has been utterly sainted and deified as if it were some kind of great noble cause. So both sides have been utterly distorted, one by mere omission and the other by hagiography.

I love the atmosphere in SH3, much superior to the bright colors and high contrast SH4 world. I don't care at all that the SH4 world is actually more realistic, the SH3 world just feels authentic.

But it comes down to the fact that I learned a lot from SH4 and comparitively less playing SH3. Its omission of the central unifying fact of the U-Boat war was just too glaring for the rest of the game to stand on its own. With SH4 you are on your own just as American boats were fought.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 12:06 PM   #10
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
I also liked the aspect that very little is known publically about the American submarine war, while the U-Boat war has been utterly sainted and deified as if it were some kind of great noble cause. So both sides have been utterly distorted, one by mere omission and the other by hagiography.
I think that is a great point. I think it's interesting to read about the u-boat war from a merchant sailor's point of view. It's not so glamo(u)rous. Swimming in oil, being in a life raft for days after being horribly burned. Then there's the civilian casualties. I can only read so much about mothers who drown, cluching their drown baby. (See Lustitana)
nikimcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 02:31 PM   #11
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Welcome Aboard - - I think I understood your question.

Yes, I like SH4 because the graphics are better than SH1, Silent Hunter Commanders Edition, and a few other features. SHCE is better than SH4 in other ways, so I enjoy both.

I only play the US submarines in SH4, mostly in the Pacific. I don't want to play the U-Boats or damage any Allied pixels.... lol

I don't care what anyone else does and signed some page here expressing that we all liked Submarines - no matter what nation they represented.

Unless SHO has US boats and Axis targets, I'm not interested. Even if they did I'm not excited about playing online. I enjoy the solitude of playing SH alone and like having the files on my computer. I realize Online is probably the future but I don't play First Person Shooters.

That answers your questions.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 04:07 PM   #12
A Hidden Soul
Soundman

Downloads: 49

I still play SH4 I in fact I have a facebook page and youtube account for my experiences and journeys.

Check it out if you wish.

http://www.facebook.com/SilentHunterIvOhioClass
A Hidden Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 09:16 AM   #13
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
Default SH4 still the way to go

Your poll doesn't make much sense with the various options but anyhow......

SHO, to me, seems to be an attempt by UBI to recoup the expected revenue from SH5 (which obviously wasn't the "blockbuster" they were hoping for). I think it's also partly pandering to the 'console' crowd.

SH4 with the fantastic mods is the only Pacific oriented sub game out there. Sure it has some remaining warts but it is a thoroughly enjoyable and immersive game and is a good effort at trying to simulate the US submarine campaign in the Pacific

SH3, again IMHO, with the supermods is still an excellent U-boat-oriented game (older graphics and missing wolfpacks notwithstanding). SH3 also seems to do a good job of emulating the increasing difficulty for the U-Boat with the improved Allied countermeasures. So I've seen no reason to move to SHO or SH5.

I still believe that if the devs had just fixed/improved SH4 instead of re-inventing the wheel with SH5 they would have been much further ahead but that is water under the bridge.

Having said all that it's still only my opinion, I know there are plenty who would disagree with me.
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 10:41 AM   #14
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoose View Post
I still believe that if the devs had just fixed/improved SH4 instead of re-inventing the wheel with SH5 they would have been much further ahead but that is water under the bridge.

Having said all that it's still only my opinion, I know there are plenty who would disagree with me.
:salute:
I concur 100%.

SH4 just needs a little fixing - 360 degrees in a circle etc
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 12:05 PM   #15
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

SH4 also needs a complete integration of the U-Boat war, not just a band aid add-on. There is absolutely no reason why a single game cannot have ALL of SH3 plus SH4 plus fixes incorporated, like a spherical earth, completely rewritten targeting system to give you an authentic maneuvering board along with more authentic navigation.

It should incorporate the tools the real submariners used in their work, bearing rate tables, stadimeter plots, the entire shebang from the Submarine Torpedo Fire Control Manual, is-was, sextant, more TDC functions.

All this code should be carefully documented so that no fiasco like SH4, where a new dev team was assembled to build on SH3 but discovered that to them, SH3 was just an assembly of incomprehensible black boxes. So they used the black boxes they didn't understand and screwed up lots of things that actually worked right in SH3 but are nerfed in SH4 due to incompetence.

Then Ubi flat out lied to us, telling us that SH4 was brought to us by the same crack team that developed SH3. WRONG!

The drink coaster method of game producing must die. Disbanding dev teams who hit a home run and replacing them with poor draft picks for the sequel is always going to have the same very predictable result. Dev teams must stay together to use what they learned to improve the game.

Then versions have to die. Why is there a SH3 and SH4? It's because they are drink coasters, worth nothing a month after they are released to the market. There should only be Silent Hunter, a continuously evolving and improving game, using all the good stuff they have ever developed and fixing once and for all every bug they developed. It should be updated weekly or monthly and the update released to all who subscribe. Yes, subscribe. And the subscription price should be less than the cost of buying all the drink coasters upon release.

People should pay Ubi or whoever wants to do the job right to make a great simulation that works better and better, not to produce a drink coaster, walk away and then say "we have a NEW drink coaster! TRUST US this time. We won't screw the pooch like last time." That game is very old. I'll never own SH5 or any future drink coaster that pretends to be the next big thing in submarine simulation until people I respect act as guinea pigs and say it's what we've been waiting for. NO MORE SH5s. Ever. When we buy we tell them to kick us again.

I'm done being kicked. I'll gladly buy what I want. Until I see it my money stays securely in my pocket.

SHO is a great experiment. I don't expect it to be a replacement for SH4. If it is a strategy and tactical game of some excellence it will be a step in the right direction. But it will be something other than a submarine simulation as most people on this site define it.

I believe that the most we can hope for SHO is the it opens the door for real progress. Most likely it will just be misinterpreted by Ubi and they will go off on a Sims meets first person shooter popcorn casual game. Hope they're successful but that would mean that we look elsewhere for the simulation we want.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alive, silent hunter 4