SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-06-12, 09:27 PM   #1
JackBlades
Swabbie

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
TDC questions

I've been a fan of the SH games for a while. Call it a hobby that I was never quite able to master, or even get kinda good at. I can move the boat around and run away just fine but I come into some issues when I want to attack.

I've had MANY occasions where I would be setup perfectly, close range, 90 degree AOB, torpedoes on fast setting ready to go, not spotted yet, then when I fire the shot misses the boat by maybe 3-4 boat lengths.

(btw I'm only using manual targeting, no auto aim)
I have a few questions about the TDC that I have been unable to find online at all.

AOB is easy enough, speed I have just started to get the hang of using the map (I WON'T use the calculate speed function as I've ALWAYS found it to be WAY off). What I don't understand is range. Yes, I know the mast height and where to place the waterline but I question how I can put it in my hand (clicking and dragging on the range meter thing).

Do i need to always select a ship type first in order to get the needle to go past 1300yds? If that is the case what happens when there is low to no visibility? I also would like to know how to do it by hand so that I don't have to give my position away with pinging the target.

sorry for the long post. Thanks
JackBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 10:12 PM   #2
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Good questions, I'm not quite sure how to answer them, but I have a question for you. Are the torpedoes passing in front or in back? If they are passing in back, then are you opening the torpedo tube doors? If you don't then, they take time to open and your calculations will be off. Also, manual targeting takes some getting used to and decent at doing. Just keep trying.
fireftr18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 11:00 PM   #3
ejbeadles
Watch

Downloads: 75

Take a look at the Dick O'Kane method as described by Rockin Robbins. In the tips sticky. Using this method takes range out of the equation. I was soon sending ships to the bottom using this technique.
ejbeadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 02:38 AM   #4
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

Welcome to the boat mate.

In the stock game you do have to ID the target and send the target info to the TDC. Also you can't manually set range past 1300 or so yards.

There are mods that you can use to do both of these things.
TMO 2.0 and above has a ID target button on the orders bar.
TMO 2.5 will let you set range by hand. Other mods will do this also.
You must have SH4 V1.5 for these mods.

Heavy fog is tough and as suggested a constant bearing method is good here, O'Kane or vector analysis work good. One thing about O'Kane is you do not have to be at 90°

The order you input data is important when using the TDC and PK.
Speed first, AoB second and last range/bearing.

Not a long post but a good post. One thing thou it's best to give your game specs and mods.

Good luck and good hunting

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 02:22 PM   #5
JackBlades
Swabbie

Sorry for the VERY late reply. Thanks guys I will check it out. Torpedoes end up missing behind them most of the time. I have realism up to 80 something? I have stabilized view on but I want the constraints of fuel. I'll check out the Dick O'Kane vid.
Old 08-16-12, 06:48 PM   #6
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBlades View Post
Torpedoes end up missing behind them most of the time.
I'd say check this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
If they are passing in back, then are you opening the torpedo tube doors?
Opening the doors takes a moment, and the TDC is too stupid to notice. I tend to open mine early in the attack, just so I don't forget to do it later.
Old 08-17-12, 11:41 AM   #7
JackBlades
Swabbie

I had no idea about opening the tubes. I had just assumed they were open. I have fixed that now. I like the Dick O'Kane method but one thing confuses me. How do they get the angle for the constant bearing attack? How do I know which angle to put my periscope at?

I really liked this tutorial video ut he leaves out that angle part. Here's where he does the calculation:

Why does he pick 500 yards at 5:00? Rockin Robbin on another video picks 15 degrees. Why does that work? Why not 10? Does the gyro take care of that?
Old 08-17-12, 01:51 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

With the Dick O'Kane firing technique you could fire at any angle you wish. The reason for the rule of thumb, picking 10 degrees before he's at right angles for slower speeds and 15 or 20 for higher speeds is that you want the torpedo to turn a very small angle or no angle at all when it leaves your torpedo tube. This makes the most accurate and error tolerant shot possible.

What actually sets the torpedo's path is the TDC, which has your shoot bearing, target speed and angle on the bow. Any shoot bearing you pick will work, it really doesn't matter except that gyro angles close to zero are more error tolerant.

You might want to check out the 3x5 printable cards that explain the Dick O'Kane, John P Cromwell and vector analysis attacks. They are a small, comprehensive checklist that will ensure you don't forget anything.

As far as the range entered goes, it really doesn't matter as a zero gyro shot, or really anything between +-20º, really is considered straight shooting, range drops out of the solution equation. For our game TDC, it is important that a non-zero number is in there or our digital simulation has a cow, but 500, 1500, 2000, any range yields the same shot. This really drives the precise shooters crazy!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual tdc, range