SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-16-11, 06:42 AM   #1
oskar123
Watch

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Survivors (SHIV)

Is it possible to pick up survivors? (I dont like to kill people, ill save the if i can :P) And, if its possible to pick them up, can I get use to it (secrete info, maybe)?

I starter to play 2 days ago, so im still some kind of "beginner"
oskar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 06:43 AM   #2
andy_311
The Old Man

Downloads: 82

Nope only people you can pick up are downed US airmen.
Old 01-16-11, 04:43 PM   #3
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132

funny you mention this. The other day, my men shot down total of 8 overhead H8Ks, Zeros, and Betties, only that their downed pilots shot at my men, so I ordered no prisoners taken onboard. I told my WO to shoot all downed pilots on site. Unethical yeah, but they started it.
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 10:11 AM   #4
Elektroniikka-Asentaja
Loader

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandosolo2009 View Post
funny you mention this. The other day, my men shot down total of 8 overhead H8Ks, Zeros, and Betties, only that their downed pilots shot at my men, so I ordered no prisoners taken onboard. I told my WO to shoot all downed pilots on site. Unethical yeah, but they started it.
Jap airmen shoot your submarine? o.O I've never encountered this (may be because I relatively rarely take any chances of being bombed by plane) and I though that they'll just stay there in the water.. Also since when and how you can take prisoners?

New rig for noisy running:
Desktop w/ Asus P5QC motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo 2,94 GHz processor, ATI Radeon HD 4800 series graphics, 4 GB DDR3 Ram and 1297 GB hard drive memory

There is a good possibility that the above post was written with a phone so please forgive the typos

Last edited by Elektroniikka-Asentaja; 01-18-11 at 02:24 PM.
Elektroniikka-Asentaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 11:05 AM   #5
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827

Wow! How Cool! Is this just a feature in the Modded game or does this happen in stock as well??
You say that a downed enemy airman shot at your sub?! (Which by the way is a historical fact), this is the first time I've heard of ANY enemy in the water, lifeboats, ect shooting at the subs. I am gonna' go to special lengths to see if it will happen in my game. If it does, it adds another element of realism that makes you decide if you shoot them or leave them to their fate.
Thanks for the tip.
D40
Old 01-17-11, 01:47 PM   #6
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandosolo2009 View Post

This is a funny image. I can just imagine my WO shouting: "we're taking damadge sir!", and the way S-boats have been tweaked in RFB, they might be able to do some serious hull damadge.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 01:54 PM   #7
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfish40 View Post
Wow! How Cool! Is this just a feature in the Modded game or does this happen in stock as well??
You say that a downed enemy airman shot at your sub?! (Which by the way is a historical fact), this is the first time I've heard of ANY enemy in the water, lifeboats, ect shooting at the subs. I am gonna' go to special lengths to see if it will happen in my game. If it does, it adds another element of realism that makes you decide if you shoot them or leave them to their fate.
Thanks for the tip.
D40
If you do try to sink them, tell us what happens. I made a mission where I put some life boats and a landing craft around a small island for gunnery training. I couldn't sink them; they just seem to be eye candy. Kind of annoying.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 02:05 PM   #8
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
This is a funny image. I can just imagine my WO shouting: "we're taking damadge sir!", and the way S-boats have been tweaked in RFB, they might be able to do some serious hull damadge.
pressure hull damaged
compressor damaged
deck gun damaged
we have flooding sir!
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 10:23 AM   #9
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskar123 View Post
Is it possible to pick up survivors? (I dont like to kill people, ill save the if i can )
What do you do with all those leftover torpedoes?
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 12:47 PM   #10
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

To Oskar123, Welcome aboard!!
As some of us may know, a lifeboat is sinkable, and if it's the ."wooden" larger type, you'll get a credit for it, 'Sunk: Lifeboat 1Ton'. I don't know about the smaller life-rafts as I've never sunk one before. I have never had (so far) anyone in a lifeboat shoot at my boat yet, but I will try and get near them and see what happens. Yeah, In fact it was a torpedo that was meant for a ship on the other side of sinking merchant, when the Lifeboat from the merchant came around and got in the way, the torpedo hit the lifeboat and ...well...let's just say we turned that lifeboat into a rocket-ship. I don't think there was any pieces larger than a quarter.
Cheers
D40
Old 01-18-11, 02:23 PM   #11
Elektroniikka-Asentaja
Loader

Downloads: 3

Yes life boats and life rafts give you 1 ton and they are counted as merchants.

And if you don't understand what Dogfish means with rocketship, download Rockin' Robbins' Subnuclear torpedos mod and shoot a destroyer once. It'll end up to knockin' on heavens' door Literally.. Sorry about going off topic but I've wondered many times what would happen if the ship or a plane or something would fell on a warship...

But can anyone confirm is it even possible to take Prisoners of war from those jap life boats or is it just a mod feature?

New rig for noisy running:
Desktop w/ Asus P5QC motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo 2,94 GHz processor, ATI Radeon HD 4800 series graphics, 4 GB DDR3 Ram and 1297 GB hard drive memory

There is a good possibility that the above post was written with a phone so please forgive the typos
Elektroniikka-Asentaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 11:39 AM   #12
MaddogK
XO

Downloads: 15

Concur, lifeboats and rafts are sinkable, tho I've never wasted a torpedo on them - they make great practice targets for the deck gun crews.

I also wish we could take POW's from downed A/C or lifeboats.

MaddogK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 02:22 PM   #13
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
Concur, lifeboats and rafts are sinkable, tho I've never wasted a torpedo on them - they make great practice targets for the deck gun crews.

I also wish we could take POW's from downed A/C or lifeboats.
Well, usually you end up hitting a lifeboat by accident when you're going for multiple targets. If you're targets are side by side instead of tandem, the first targets lifeboat just may get in the way of you're next target. Anyhow, by accident. It's frustrating and hilarious at the same time.
Cheers and lols
D40
Old 01-20-11, 09:13 PM   #14
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

I've seen ships run over rafts and lifeboats. Especially fast moving DDs, and DEs.

Most Japanese airmen and sailors would commit suicide before being taken by the Americans as POWs. There is a video in color over at one site where a downed pilot blows himself up with a grenade instead of being picked up by the sub crew. It's just the way they were. Sadly, it cost the Japanese more in the loss of experienced men in the longrun.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 09:24 AM   #15
CSGdesign
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

In the earlier days of me playing (not long ago) I used to sink them with AA. Until I got subs that didn't allow the AA to point below the horizon due to being in the nest at the back of the con-tower.

At the time they were plotted on the map for me too, but I seem to have lost that feature for some bizarre reason... now I can only find them by hunting for them with binocs.

I never blew one up with a torpedo though (never tried) and I never had anyone shoot at me.

In fact I pulled right up along side one for a journal once and danced with it for quite awhile trying to get a nice screenshot... it scraped along my side (kinda funny cuz it was all metallic sounding even though it was a rubber life raft) and if they were going to take a shot at me they would have. I ended up sailing off, having gotten the right screenshot for the storyline.

Could be they didn't shoot cuz they weren't armed cuz they came off a fishing boat maybe?

Tags
sh4, shiv, silent hunter 4, survivors