SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-09, 03:09 AM   #1
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Ship Lengths for TMO 1.7

June 28 2009
DOWNLOAD LINK (metric version): http://files.filefront.com/ShipLengt.../fileinfo.html
DOWNLOAD LINK (imperial version yards): http://files.filefront.com/ShipLengt.../fileinfo.html
DOWNLOAD LINK (imperial version feet): http://files.filefront.com/ShipLengt.../fileinfo.html

A simple mod that will replace the Speed data in the Recognition Manual with Length data. The mod is JSGME ready, apply over TMO (doesn't conflict with the TMO patches). Don't panic when you see the conflicts with TMO, it's normal.

The archives also include Excel spreadsheets with the corresponding values for length, mast, draft, width, max speed, tonnage and renown for almost every ship in the game. Please remember that the ship's Height actually corresponds to the changes made by the Ship Center Accuracy Fix mod.

This mod was made for Trigger Maru 1.7 and should not be used with any other mod that has different *.cfg files in the Sea folder.

Speed formula:
V[knots] = 1.944 * ( Length[m] / Time[s] )
V[knots] = 0.592 * ( Length[feet] / Time[s] )

Although after testing it in a few patrols I did not notice any problems (apart from crashes to desktop when I try to enter the museum, but that happens even without my mod ), please submit here any problems you encounter. I have no idea if the 3d models are indeed of the same lengths as the ones in the cfg files, so please don't blame me for missed shots. So far, the speeds were consistent to within 0.5 knot error which is a great starting point for the PK.

For all the other mods, the method is simple as it involves just 2 steps and can be finished in less than 20 mins (or 4 hours for imperial version).

Step 1
In the Data\Menu\menu.txt file changes these lines:
2019=Speed:
2029=knots

into (metric):
2019=Length:
2029=m

or (imperial feet):
2019=Length:
2029=feet

Step 2
In the Data\Sea folder, go to each ship folder, open the cfg file and replace the MaxSpeed value with the Length value just below.
For example, change:

MaxSpeed=28.5
Length=155

into (metric):
MaxSpeed=155
Length=155

or (imperial feet):
MaxSpeed=508.5
Length=155

Don't worry, you won't see the Yamato doing 263 knots .

Enjoy

Last edited by karamazovnew; 06-28-09 at 01:23 AM.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 10:27 AM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

i see one small problem with your solution, as i understand it (and im pretty sure about this) the game uses the ships length and width values found in the ships cfg file to determine the actual size to generate the ship in the game so changing the length will also change the size of the ship which in turn will have an effect on targetting.
Old 06-26-09, 01:24 PM   #3
karamazovnew
The Old Man

I am not changing the Length , I'm changing the MaxSpeed value, as that one is used only for the recognition manual. The actual speed/telegraph settings for each ship is stored in other files. I know this because I set my Uboat's speed to 13 knots for the Standard telegraph, as it was in SH3. What surprised me more was that the "2029=knots" text was never used in the menu1024.ini file. It's hardcoded to that spot only. Just try it, you can put the addon even in the middle of a patrol.
Old 06-26-09, 04:53 PM   #4
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

ok, i got them mixed up.

sounds like a good idea if it works without side effects
Old 06-26-09, 07:36 PM   #5
jmr
Commander

Downloads: 62

Awesome work. Now I can carry out the fixed wire method for getting target speed!
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 10:51 PM   #6
karamazovnew
The Old Man

That's what it's for . Since most of us still have german Atack wheels and the formula is simply 2 x L/time, i made the metric version. If anyone needs the imperial version I'll do that too.
Old 06-26-09, 11:37 PM   #7
jmr
Commander

Actually, I'd love to have an Imperial version as I pretty much only use the IS/WAS when playing SH4. Thanks!
Old 06-27-09, 08:00 AM   #8
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Done, imperial version now avalaible. Both archives now include excel spreadsheets with metric/imperial values. All values were taken from the Sea cfg files. Just in case you still fear seeing ships moving at 700 knots, bear in mind that the original MaxSpeed for a Large Sampan is 35 knots :rotfl:.

Last edited by karamazovnew; 06-27-09 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-27-09, 12:40 PM   #9
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Shore Leave? nooo give me my Bosun face back

Edit: that was fast, A-ganger now mwahahaha
Old 06-27-09, 03:56 PM   #10
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

shore leave isn't too bad. wait till you get 'Wild Night in Bangkok'

DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 08:20 PM   #11
jmr
Commander

Is it possible to list the lengths as yards? I forgot that the back side of the IS/WAS is calibrated for yards and not feet. So that would be 1yard/sec ~ 1.777 knots.
Old 06-27-09, 08:52 PM   #12
karamazovnew
The Old Man

The thought of going through all those folders makes me dizzy. But do you really need that? Just divide by 3:
1 foot = 0.333333333 yards
1 yards = 3 feet
Nvm, considering how many wiz-was wheels there are i guess i need to do this. Thank god I left the Spreadsheets in the same order as the folders, shouldn't take me long.
Old 06-27-09, 09:46 PM   #13
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Done, check new download links. Oh, just a note, please remember that the cfg files are all in meters, so the only spreadsheet that corresponds to the original values is the metric one. The other are just for show
Old 07-15-09, 04:05 AM   #14
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Anyone still using this mod? Did you encounter any kind of problems? I for one have finished about 10 patrols with it and apart from the TDC(game design, or is it US design?) not being able to use decimal speeds it worked like a charm. I did once miss the "Maximum speed" while trying to figure out what the "Fast" speed was for a far away merchant so I plan to edit the files again to include that info too (you can write "Not's sure exactly" in the speed info and it's still correct to the game ).
Also I'm about to do versions for RFB, OM and RSRD. Even if the lengths are 90% correct in all these mods, each one changes something, like renown or ship type. So, interested?
Old 07-15-09, 05:33 AM   #15
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Has anyone thought about whether using the mod is even appropriate? Why should you know the exact length of everything that floats on the ocean? Is there any evidence that real submariners knew the true lengths of even half of them? Isn't this "cheating" the game, gaming the game?

Similar to the SCAF, this simply implies a level of knowledge that did not exist, and that in the quest for "accuracy." Well, historical and situational accuracy is just as important as measurement accuracy. In this case, establishing measurement accuracy destroys the historical and situational accuracy of the game, transforming a simulation into an arcade game.

That's OK if your goal is a shooting gallery. But if your quest is simulation, ignorance, uncertainty and frustration are three main ingredients you've just torpedoed.

I completely understand the drive to eliminate the unknown and inaccurate. That was the goal of the real captains too! However, they did not have the ability to rent enemy ships one by one, take them to a friendly harbor, measuring their every dimension at leisure to produce perfect recognition manuals. If we want to play a simulation, neither should we.

If we want to make sure our shooting technique is perfect, unrealistically fixing all errors in parameters so that if we miss we KNOW it's our fault, then this kind of mod is appropriate for training purposes. But real sub captains missed for lots of reasons that were not their fault.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
length, manual, tmo