SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-21, 02:22 PM   #1
malayawolf
Nub

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0
wolf_howl15 What kind of value do Silent Hunter 4 brings you?

This one took me personally as a Malaysian. Coinciding with the attack on Pearl Harbor, in the early morning of December 8, 1941, the Japanese army landed at the beach in Kota Baharu, Malaya. Despite the heavy resistance from British defending forces, the Japanese managed to take control of the Malacca Strait and local resources such as rubber and tin. A few event that caught my interest during this time:
(i) Operation Gustavus.
Basil Goodfellow, who was the OM second-in-command in Singapore, together with Richard Broome, John Davis, and Lim Bo Seng launched Operation Gustavus on 23 May 1943. This was a series of small-team insertions into Malaya by submarine and amphibious aircraft. It took two weeks after sailing from Colombo, Ceylon for John Davis and five others to land at Tanjung Hantu, Perak, between Penang Island and Kuala Lumpur. Force 136 (malaya Special Ops) infiltrated a few other teams utilizing this method. The security and safety of all men and submarines in this operation were vulnerable to discovery by Japanese patrols, which presented the possibility of capture

(ii) Operation Jaywick a.k.a Rimau
with Captain Lyon Ivon leading this daring seaborne raid in the Malayan campaign. He recruited and trained specially selected volunteers at the “Z” experimental station outside Cairns, Australia. After nine months of training, the Jaywick party sailed from Exmouth Gulf, Western Australia, on 2 September 1943. Two weeks later, they reached the Riau Archipelago and moved close to St. Johns Island (Southern Islands, Singapore) on three two-man kayaks called ‘folboats,’ jam-packed with explosives, limpet mines, supplies for two weeks, and personal weapons. They sunk approximately 50,000 tons of enemy shipping using limpet mines. The Japanese responded sharply, and interrogated and tortured to death many Malays suspected of involvement with the sea raiders.

So, with SH4, i could live that era all over again. Even though maybe not as precise and not as the Malaya parties. And thanks to mods, i get to have the historically correct gameplay.

My father himself was an operator back in the day. Not for the Force 136, but for another kind of Malaya Emergency era (communist attack led by Chin Peng). And my father introduced this game to me at an early age (thanks dad). However, i could not understand a single thing from SH4 lol. Despite being a teacher now, i have come to play SH4 again, trying to understand the mechanics especially the manual targetting (feel free to give out hints). Back in the old days, I would watch my dad play SH4 at the midnight, sank tones of ships, and sometimes let me man the subs until i got rammed by IJN hahaha good time dad (wish I could have that moment just one more time).

And, i LOVE SUBMARINES and the idea of “wolf” as symbolic to the subs. It suit my ancestors lifestyle very well too. They were silent, a predator, get to track things or people in the forest easily or in short a tracker (just like the character in the movie Predator, i forgot which series but has Arnold in it), a true viking of the eastern seas, a warrior. So, with SH4, i get to have that feeling as well (except im having duds torpedoes and they dont ahahah).

So, what kind of value do Silent Hunter 4 brings you?

(Sorry for any grammatical or languages error, im not a native speaker)
(Subsim is a great community and im thankful for that. I really think that there is next to none of people in Malaysia that would play SH as much as i am, or am i?)
malayawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-21, 03:41 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

malayawolf! nice first post!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-21, 03:47 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Nice first post malayawolf. "Welcome to SubSim!"

I am "deep" into Silent Hunter also, and actually just sub sims since the days of the C-64 "computers", but SH1 is the one that hooked me, and SH4 has not left me since pre-day-one, since I did a pre-order on the game... lol - I also love the historical type game play, and imagine myself helping my dad's SeaBee unit and the rest of the USN get across the Pacific to Leyte Gulf for him to help put the Marines ashore there in October 1944, which was his first and only "action". His unit helped put together the floating dry dock off Samar after the invasion, and then he was stationed in Manila in a USN laundromat until after the end of the war. He was also in other South Pacific locations prior to Leyte Gulf. One of his buddies got to go to Okinawa from Samar, and participate in picket duty on a DE oh boy. My dad's last name begins with an "N", so as they stood in parade formation for this "volunteer" duty, they stopped at "M"... lol - Dad stayed in laundry duty, his buddy went on picket duty. Dad never has been one to do games though, and I can't even get him to look at a US Navy historical site... all he usually says about his WW2 and Korean service is "someone had to go do it". He signed up the day he was eligible without his mom's signature

We'll have to look into adding other operations into SH4, and maybe call on you for some detailed reference and further investigation into other aspects for the game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 11:27 AM   #4
malayawolf
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Nice first post malayawolf. "Welcome to SubSim!"

I am "deep" into Silent Hunter also, and actually just sub sims since the days of the C-64 "computers", but SH1 is the one that hooked me, and SH4 has not left me since pre-day-one, since I did a pre-order on the game... lol - I also love the historical type game play, and imagine myself helping my dad's SeaBee unit and the rest of the USN get across the Pacific to Leyte Gulf for him to help put the Marines ashore there in October 1944, which was his first and only "action". His unit helped put together the floating dry dock off Samar after the invasion, and then he was stationed in Manila in a USN laundromat until after the end of the war. He was also in other South Pacific locations prior to Leyte Gulf. One of his buddies got to go to Okinawa from Samar, and participate in picket duty on a DE oh boy. My dad's last name begins with an "N", so as they stood in parade formation for this "volunteer" duty, they stopped at "M"... lol - Dad stayed in laundry duty, his buddy went on picket duty. Dad never has been one to do games though, and I can't even get him to look at a US Navy historical site... all he usually says about his WW2 and Korean service is "someone had to go do it". He signed up the day he was eligible without his mom's signature

We'll have to look into adding other operations into SH4, and maybe call on you for some detailed reference and further investigation into other aspects for the game.
Hahaha good ol man and their pride. His determination is already make him the man of honor. But, if you dont mind me asking, what’s her mom’s reaction afterwards? Im sure she get to know soon or later
Old 04-30-21, 11:28 AM   #5
malayawolf
Nub

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
malayawolf! nice first post!
What is with subsim and all the warm greetings ?!!!
Old 04-30-21, 02:59 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayawolf View Post
Hahaha good ol man and their pride. His determination is already make him the man of honor. But, if you dont mind me asking, what’s her mom’s reaction afterwards? Im sure she get to know soon or later
Well, Grandpa had been a telegrapher "doughboy" during The Great War, so he thought it would do dad good, but of course, Grandma did not think so. When dad got home in 1946, after having been gone for 3 years, he caught "what's for" from Grandma but good, he said. Not only for himself, but also for his younger brother who tried to follow him into the Navy, but was in San Diego getting ready to ship out when the war ended... Of course, the "baby" of the family had to follow in his brothers' footsteps, so my dad caught it again from Grandma... lol - she would bring that up about as often as she brought up "the wee people" (they got blamed for everything), which was rather often. Her being 100% Irish, I am of course referring to the leprechauns as "the wee people"... very superstitious woman, but she was a riot!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malaya, ww2