SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-15-19, 06:59 PM   #1
The Kraken Wakes
Watch

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default designer torpedoes

Hi everyone,
I would like to be able to design my own "experimental" torpedoes. I know other people modded torpedoes years ago, but I would like to be able to do it myself. It's got something to do with the .zon file and the .sim file, and I guess you just replace the damage values, but I have tried a hex editor called HxD, didn't get far.
And where does it sort the skins for the torps ? It would be great to paint some wicked looking torps with red warheads and "Eat This, Yamamoto" written on the side.
1) What do I use to read the .zon file and .sim file ?
2) What do I use for editing the skins when I find them ?

Hoping someone will help.
The Kraken Wakes
The Kraken Wakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 08:23 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

S3ditor is much easier to use than a hex editor, unless you have a well-practiced hex brain. I used to be able to do it in the 8-bit world over 30 years ago, but this 32-bit stuff - yeesh!

For skins, anything that can read a dds file will do, and I think it was Sniper297 linked to a freeware one of those the other day... now, where was that thread?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 08:48 PM   #3
divemonkie
Medic

Downloads: 1031
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kraken Wakes View Post
Hi everyone,
I would like to be able to design my own "experimental" torpedoes. I know other people modded torpedoes years ago, but I would like to be able to do it myself. It's got something to do with the .zon file and the .sim file, and I guess you just replace the damage values, but I have tried a hex editor called HxD, didn't get far.
And where does it sort the skins for the torps ? It would be great to paint some wicked looking torps with red warheads and "Eat This, Yamamoto" written on the side.
1) What do I use to read the .zon file and .sim file ?
2) What do I use for editing the skins when I find them ?

Hoping someone will help.
The Kraken Wakes
double check with the pros here but I think paintnet will work for color, and its free.
divemonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 01:34 AM   #4
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

There are several free image editors these days that will read DDS files, problem I have is OGS - Old Geezer Syndrome, where every time you try something new you have to UN learn 80 some odd programs you learned in the past. Some of them I just can't get to work at all, I have the ancient JASC Paint Shop Pro 7, which I love, but none of the plugins I've tried will read DDS files.

DXTBmp (bottom right of the main screen) is free and versatile;

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/

And since it converts whatever you open to simple bitmaps, both the image and the alpha mask can be edited in any image editor, then reloaded and automatically recompiled back to the original format. Actual painting can be a problem, for example the way the subs themselves map the "skins", the conning tower paints one side then "mirrors" it to the other side, so any lettering or numbers will be reversed on one side. Here's an example of trying to figure out texture mapping;

The "rainbow" texture helps when trying to figure out what maps where;

Then you look at it in game, to see where different parts of the image map on the actual model. After that you can drop a smaller rainbow image on the section for the propellers to narrow down the spot, then discover one little pixel paints the propellers, forward edge of the periscope shears, and the forward port diving plane bottom or something equally stupid that makes it impossible to paint it the way you wanted to.

As for the physics, Silent 3ditor has already been linked, the .zon controls the bang, speed, range and default depth can be edited in the .sim file. An example of the explosive power and damage radius in this mod;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4380

Which offers several options.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
design, mods, torpedo