SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-18, 07:55 PM   #16
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Just my advice, GWX is an awesome mod. But it has a lot of issues. NYGM has very little. It has less eye candy, but very few crashes. You don’t have to worry about 50km from land or ships. It doesn’t care about human sacrifices to work or if the stars align.

I jest but in seriousness, GWX is a great but difficult mod in my opinion to work with. I went to NYGM and I may get a CTD once out of every 10 game loads.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 05:11 PM   #17
TiberiusoftheSea
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stork100 View Post
TiberiusoftheSea,

Here is my mod list as it is presently over the aforementioned installation, in correct sequence. Very stable, though of course some minor configuring was required just for compatability. I don't use SH3Cmdr, though not for any technical reason.

GWX - Alternative Flotillas
GWX - No Medals on Crew
GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation No Eagle
German U-Boats Compilation 2 (only VIIB & VIIC models by WISE)
New U-Boat Guns Fixed Reworked (for German U-Boats Compilation)
FixAllSubGWX
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey]
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey - All Leather] Patch
OLC's Modified Searchlight Beams for GWX3
Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920 x 1080 Final
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
M.E.P v6
M.E.P v6- VisualSensors for GWX3
Optional - Zoomable Free Camera
WB's Mission Orders Lite v1.1
Clear NavMapTable
My Gauges Mod
My Diesel Mod
My RAOBF Mod
Realistic contacts with Sub icons
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
MFM-Improved
MFM-v3-Neutral-Skins-1940
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19390901
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19391101
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400201
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400501
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400601
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400801
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19401101
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19410201
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19410801
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19420201

Cheers.
Thanks for posting. Half of these I've never come across before though I will be looking them up to understand more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Just my advice, GWX is an awesome mod. But it has a lot of issues. NYGM has very little. It has less eye candy, but very few crashes. You don’t have to worry about 50km from land or ships. It doesn’t care about human sacrifices to work or if the stars align.

I jest but in seriousness, GWX is a great but difficult mod in my opinion to work with. I went to NYGM and I may get a CTD once out of every 10 game loads.
I agree that GWX isn't perfect but from what I've read over the years, it is the most popular of the supermods/megamods. I would be interested in trying NYGM but would also like to resolve this issue I'm having before my PC gets launched out of the window

What pulled you to NYGM over GWX?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back to my OP, I've done some playing around over the past few days. I'm determined to figure out the cause of my CTD even if for my own sanity! I've tried fresh installs on different devices and drives, no mods, less mods etc. Most of the time I'm still experiencing the same CTD.

One of the things I'm working on at the moment is the Steam version of SH3. While everything looks the same as the disc version I own, I figured it had to be worth a shot. Besides, at less than £5.00, what is there to lose? Well, with that said, after patching the SH3.exe with H.Sie's patch kit, there was everything to lose. Running the patch kit properly means you need to place the patched version of your SH3.exe into the supplement folder and then run it as a mod. Doing so means you are not running the SH3.exe through Steam which in effect means it was pointless in me purchasing it again...

Still, I carried on and booted up the game. The only mod running at this point was the V16B1 supplemental. I started a temporary career through SH3Cmdr and rushed towards AN54 at TC 4096. I managed to arrive, do a full patrol and leave without a single CTD... This got me thinking.

I quit the game and started adding mods one by one, each time loading the "in base before patrol" save. Every time the game ran as expected and I was able to complete my patrol without getting a CTD anywhere. Then came the sound mod.

Now, to clarify, the sound mod I am using is one of my own making. In an attempt at keeping the number of mods to a minimum, I merged several sound mods into one single mega mod. I have added some sounds of my own making as well. The files within the sound mod are all in the correct .wav format and play well when sampled. However, when added in game as mods, the game CTDs.

I tried several times and each time the sound mod was active, I'd get CTDs while it would run fine when deactivated. Of course, I would need to run a longer campaign to be sure that this is the route of my issue but I'm fairly confident this is the cause based on my findings so far.

Now, why would these sound files cause a CTD? I mean they are all correctly formatted and (most of them) come from reliable mods. I did cannibalize my sound mod and try to break it down to see which sound(s) were the cause but they each caused a CTD.

So... I seem to have "solved" my issue without solving it. The error message of "sound.act" seemed to be correct. It would appear that a sound file was to blame. But how and why is still a mystery... at the moment.

TiberiusoftheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 09:01 PM   #18
TiberiusoftheSea
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Icon8

Okay, I'm 99.9% sure the offending files are the two Collision_AntiSubmarineNet sound clips. I'm running a completely silent variation due to the looping bug associated with these sounds. I learnt the hard way what that bug can do to you at 03:00hrs with your Turtle Beaches on full... One minute you're patrolling your assigned grid with Rita Cadillac singing cheerfully and the next... *shudders* the nightmarish, War of the Worlds, epic laser looping screaming bug

So, the good news is I'm fairly confident that I can now play a campaign without a CTD every few minutes. The bad news is in order to do so, there is a strong possibility I could die from a heart attack at any moment... Has anyone else found a resolution to this bug? I see it mentioned all over the place but no "real" solution was ever offered.

*EDIT*

No dice Started a new campaign earlier today and played through patrol one starting in the 2nd Flotilla. Arrived at grid BF51 and began my patrol. Heavy storm present causing huge waves so decided to crash dive (70m) and test out my crush depth. Approaching 100m I scrolled towards my six dial slide out to adjust depth and the game CTD. The error..? Yup, you guessed it. Another "Sound.act". I thought I'd finally be able to play this wonderful game but alas no. I think I'm going to give up now. Tons of other games I've put on hold while I "play" Silent Hunter III so going to return to the real world sadly

Last edited by TiberiusoftheSea; 05-06-18 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Solution Failure
TiberiusoftheSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
an54, bug, ctd, sound.act