SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-16, 04:59 AM   #1
Thoth_already_in_use
Watch

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0
Default Questions about Realism and gameplay (GWX mod and total noob)

Greetings everyone)

I've discovered SH3, and I absolutely loved it. I started with LSH2015, but there are too much of targets, and thus less preparations and less enjoyment for hunting. Si I installed GWX mod -- now I have one sunk ship per patrol -- and even this is an achievement for me.

Strangely enough I enjoy more with playing with different tools and calculators than with game itself. But sometimes these tools looks for me like cheating.

1)So, how historically accurate is the calculator around the periscope in the OLC screen mod? And by the way, how estimate speed using it? As I understand, I meant to measure time of passing ship, knowing its length I got speed in m/s, and than convert it to knots (x1.95), using this I get kind of accurate estimations. However in multiple tutorials, people states that I must use different marks on AOBFinder disks following the zoom level. And I don't get how zoom influence measurements, additionally, existing marks gives non realistic results.

2)I developed a method to measure course of long-distance targets (at limit of visibility). Probably it exists, but I never seen this in tutorials and manuals. This method uses geometrical construction on map, and thus gives an perfect precision, if the optical measurements are perfect. With actual 1° readings on bearing I have around of ±10° of error (not that bad for target at ~11km). That was the historical resolution of bearing measurement with periscopes -- 1° is too large to my taste, there more than enough of space to fit more precise graduation.

3)That is the influence of crew and their expertise on each comportment? I get, that WO staff influence the distance of target detection. Mechanist influence the speed (and probably fuel consummation?). But that influence of the command room staff, and torpedo room staff (outside reload speed)? Do torpdists influence the precision, speed and misfire chance? Is there any need to keep them except for reloading?

4)Why in the periscopes all graduations are moved on the sides, and not near the center, where the angular measurements will be easier?

5)Is there a mod with ann alarm clock? Just for possibility to be aware than a certain time arrived? I tried to paly with fatigue -- but I always forget the time to change crew, and I arrive to attack with exhausted team.

6) With GWX mod, I have a small annoyance -- each time I rise/lower periscope when submerged, I get message "no officer at helms station". With WO on duty this message never appears. Is this bug, something intended or a mod conflict?

Sorry for long text, thse questions are accumulated over few weeks.
Thoth_already_in_use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 01:23 AM   #2
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth_already_in_use View Post
Greetings everyone)

3)That is the influence of crew and their expertise on each comportment? I get, that WO staff influence the distance of target detection. Mechanist influence the speed (and probably fuel consummation?). But that influence of the command room staff, and torpedo room staff (outside reload speed)? Do torpdists influence the precision, speed and misfire chance? Is there any need to keep them except for reloading?

I'll just try to answer this question...
please keep in mind I've been playing SH4 more recently, so I may be "mixing" them...

Crew Efficiency main effects vary slightly by compartment...
Keep in mind, if the "Efficiency" drops too low, your crew won't be able to perform the job...

Torpedo room: The longer the bar, the faster your crew will reload torpedoes, placing an officer in the torpedo room will also reduce the time to reload a torpedo.

Deck gun: They will reload faster, and, in my experience, are more likely to hit the target.

Flak guns: Same as Deck guns.

Engine Room(s): Best I can tell is that a more efficient crew will switch and get the appropriate engines running quicker when surfacing or submerging.
I haven't noticed a lack of speed, or less range with a shorter bar, just that they take longer to switch rooms, and therefore take longer to get the "other" motors running.

Control Room: I've noticed a quicker response time, and greater accuracy in depth keeping, with a better crew.
To test, I modded a Type II to have a 25 knot submerged speed (similar to some newer German built submarines, from the 1980s/1990s), if the Chief Engineer was the only one with the qualification, they couldn't keep it level at more than ~14knots. (It looked more like a dolphin, than a submarine.)
If all 3 crew had the qualification in addition to the CE, they could hold it level to about 18 knots, and the sub got "iffy" on depth about 20/21 knots (a moded Type 9D2 can hold straight and level at 30+ with this crew config).

As far as your crew being fatigued when you find some action (or it finds you)...
until I get my crew "trained" (Qualifications, Medals, Promotions), I leave everybody in the "crew quarters" I put about half of my 'Qualified' Engine Crew in the Engine Compartment, and fill the rest of the slots with crew, then simply "double click" the Engine Compartment when the 'Exclamation Points' show up over their pictures, this will swap out the crew to the remaining (fresh) Qualified "PO"s and (fresh) Crewmen.

I add crew to the Torpedo Rooms only when I need to reload, and I remove them after the tubes are loaded. Keeps the crew "fresh".

Also keep in mind: Giving your 'Watch Officer' a "Watch", "Deck Gun" and "Flak Gun" qualification will help the Deck & Flak gun crews, so if you are at your max "Petty Officers" (varies by boat) you can still increase their effectiveness. In addition, he will have a decent "watch" rating, so you won't be "blind" on the surface while you have the guns manned.

I hope this helps, and I hope that I'm remembering this all correctly, played SH3 for about 6 years, now I'm unlearning SH3 to learn the changes in SH4.

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 02:40 AM   #3
badwolf
XO

Downloads: 59

vhi,
I really advise you to download and watch these instructive videos first - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1112.
They will explain everthing on manual targeting.

You get the "no officer at helms station" message when you give a command and officer is missing. i.e.

missing navigator for weather report (even though you click the lookout for request)

boat maneuvers may require the engineer at station.

If like me, you enjoy using crew fatigue, then using GMX 8 hr fatigue, it's best to have a 4 hour rota system, I find.

Also planning in advance how you arrange the crew to replace each other is a big help.

I usually have two dedicated engine room crews (4crew+engineer*2=10 crew) to exchange every 4 hours.

Do to shortage of crew in a type II I have one lookout crew (Officer+3subofficers who may be gun, torpedo experts.). these help with torpedo re-arm when submerged.

I have 2 crews (3crew*2=6) for the command room boat control.
and 3 radio operators. These also help with other duties e.g re-arm torpedoes, help other stations when struggling in bad weather etc.

Other 3 main Officers man the control room and assist other compartments.

If you watch real ww2 German uboat films, they have the graduations on the sides. The in-game ones which are hardcoded, have been practically useless until "Hitman" came up with a brilliant solution. In real life they used the Stadimeter and targetting was virtually computorised. We use manual targeting which is far harder than it really was. The graduations would only be a reference guide or used when targeting malfunctioned.

Download Hitman's optics, he has great info on the equipment and has changed the graduations.

My number one wish is to find time and make a GUI incorporating all the really good points of various modders GUI's and adding a few of my own ideas.
i.e.
A complete new reticle graduation.
Incorporating Hitman's radian principle for finding range.
having a 5 then 4 alternating sub-reticules. (The 5 subdivision would have Hitmens radian measurement) (The 4 division would be to convert 6x to 1.5x easily. - one 4 subdivision in 1.5 zoom would equal a full 10 mark in 6x zoom.)
Adjusting joegrundman's U-jagd to be able to use the above graduations, instead of the U-jagd extra measuring facility. Perhaps adding dials to find height/width.
Have all measurements interchangable. i.e. attack to observation scope.
Degrade the light input to the attack scope at night, making the observation scope a better choice. This is easy to do.
Finding out the sensor detection mechanics for the scopes and making the observation scope easier to detect during daytime.

Getting the Single/salvo to work correctly in scope views - I've done a lot of work in the past on this and believe it's possible.

Adding torpedo door switches to scope views with indication light.
Due to available space, one light will indicate tube status. no torpedoes left=off, no torepedo loaded=red, torpedo loaded=blue, torpedo loaded/door open=green.
Ability to open more than one door in single mode, making it a lot easier to fire multi single shots at different ships and hopefully hit them all at same time, giving them no reaction time.

You may be wondering, why have multiple ways to find range and AOB, Hitman's radian graduation and U-jagd for instance and ability between scopes. Well this allows Sh3Commander to be used for malfunctioning and have these fail but still having a way to operate.
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 06:34 AM   #4
Thoth_already_in_use
Watch

Downloads: 96

Thanks for answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK
Torpedo room: The longer the bar, the faster your crew will reload torpedoes, placing an officer in the torpedo room will also reduce the time to reload a torpedo.
So, my misfired torpedoes without torpedo team was just a misfire. However I found a slight speed difference following the mechanic team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf
I really advise you to download and watch these instructive videos first
Thanks, they are very instructive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf
If like me, you enjoy using crew fatigue, then using GMX 8 hr fatigue, it's best to have a 4 hour rota system, I find.
I would like to use fatigue system, but I have trouble to track time. I just forgot when the next shift change comes (I know it's stupid). I need an alarm clock, or any kind of reminder. Yesterday I tried to add a movable mark on in-game analogue clock but without success.

I think, I have both Hitman's optics and U-jagd disks, included in Ahnenerbe WideGui. And I have no problem to manually target (except than I took a bad measure).
The thing that I wont to know how precise was real bearing measurement with periscopes. In the game the scale resolution is 1°, adding a simple vernier scale to bearing scale alow to upgrade the resolution to 10'. But I wonder how historical is it.
Thoth_already_in_use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 08:07 PM   #5
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth_already_in_use View Post
Thanks for answers

So, my misfired torpedoes without torpedo team was just a misfire. However I found a slight speed difference following the mechanic team.
Duds are more likely pre-1941, but not impossible at anytime.

If the torpedo strikes at angle other than 90deg (+/- 20deg), it may bounce off, while not actually being a dud. So you can have a poor torpedo room crew, and still have 'reliable' torpedoes.

As far as your Engine room, it has been over a year (real time) since I had an "untrained" mechanical team... So I'm not suprised that I got that one wrong!
If you noticed a difference, then I would suggest that qualifications for Engineering take first place. Get a Sensor qualified PO to use while attacking ships, and then go as you see fit...

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 09-14-16 at 10:19 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gwx 3.0