SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-16, 12:18 PM   #1
Sir Mr Pirate
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Support Trying to install Silent Hunter 4 from an (kind of) old disc

Hello guys!
I recieved Silent Hunter 4 as a christmas gift six or maybe seven years ago and i was really fond of it from the start. Back in the day it was running on a completely different pc with Windows XP and apart from a feew bugs related to savegames and loading screens it was running pretty smoothly.

My new computer is 2 years old now if i'm not mistaken and i haven't installed Silent Hunter 4 yet and to be honest completely forgot about the game. Yesterday why sorting my discs i stumbled across the game and thought i'd start to play it once more.
Only problem is that none of my readers recognise the disc. i have 2 readers that ought to be able to read the dvd. When i insert the disc into any of the 2 slots they behave like it was empty. When i try to open the drive i am trying to use, it behaves as if i put in an empty disc. Also there is noise when trying to read them so the readers don't just flat out ignore them they seem to be unable to recognise the material on the dvd.
Im runnning Windows 7 by the way.
I tested it on my brother's pc and there is no problem there. He has Windows 7 as well. His disc reader is probably a little older than mine.

I registered here because my computer can read other discs so the phenomenon is only occuring with the SH4 disc and I couldn't find any solution for this on the web. I thoght you guys could know more about the matter.
I'dbe really glad if you could help me this problem really annoys me...
Sir Mr Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-16, 01:07 PM   #2
Sir Mr Pirate
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

All right so i figured it out. I am going to leave it here to help anyone who runs into a similiar problem.
I have read many suggestion that editing should be done in regedit and i also downloaded a little app from the windows support site. It's called Fix it. Why it didn't work first was that it didn't inform me that after using it i ought to restart the computer.
When i did the reader recognised the dvd and i am installing the game right now. I also checked regedit where the drive's lower and upper filters got deleted so the app basically did the same you could do manually.
Hope it helps someone.
Sir Mr Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-16, 05:02 PM   #3
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mr Pirate View Post
All right so i figured it out. I am going to leave it here to help anyone who runs into a similiar problem.
Welcome to Subsim!

Glad you got it figured out. I'm also really glad you posted the solution. I hate searching for a problem and finding nothing but an unanswered question, or a followup post saying "Nevermind, I fixed it." with no details to help anyone else.
Old 05-03-16, 05:21 PM   #4
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Happy to hear that you found a solution to your problem.

Welcome to our little insane asylum, happy to have you with us.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disc reading roblem, silent hunter 4