SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-11, 07:25 AM   #1
docus
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default Timed radio events in Silent Hunter 5?

Hi all,

Is it possible to have scripted radio events in Silent Hunter 5, like in the previous game? I'm trying to add a couple of radio stations that include news broadcasts which should air on the appropriate day, using a folder called 'events' and an events.ini file. Thanks for any info you can give me.
docus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 07:26 AM   #2
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Welcome Aboard!

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 06:00 PM   #3
Budds
Bosun

Downloads: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by docus View Post
Is it possible to have scripted radio events in Silent Hunter 5, like in the previous game? I'm trying to add a couple of radio stations that include news broadcasts which should air on the appropriate day, using a folder called 'events' and an events.ini file. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Yes, is the same as Sh4.
You can either create/edit with a text editor, the events.ini.... or this handy app may help.....
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=592

Big Thanks to Digital_Trucker for the app, and it works fine !
Also Big Thanks to Fred for all his inspiring work with Radio in SH !
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119668

Freds stuff is the reason I had to buy a TB Drive !!!!

I have created my own "Station" and try to use period correct music and news reports... as well as "Borrow" from other available "Radio Mods" to fill my events with all kinds of neat stuff.
Time most all my events to play after dark so I can be on the surface to listen for them, all seems good so far.

If I had one wish for SH and the Radio/Phono.....
Being able to play files outside the Sh directory.
Be nice to have ALL my music/Sounds in one place, instead of duplicates all over the place eatting up drive space.
My Sh4 Radio folder is near 30gigs, and thats AFTER a major house cleaning..... Now I'm near duplicating that for Sh5 !!!

Anywyas............
Budds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-15, 08:53 AM   #4
Phrozin
Bosun

Downloads: 85
Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budds View Post
Yes, is the same as Sh4.
You can either create/edit with a text editor, the events.ini.... or this handy app may help.....
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=592

Big Thanks to Digital_Trucker for the app, and it works fine !
Also Big Thanks to Fred for all his inspiring work with Radio in SH !
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119668

Freds stuff is the reason I had to buy a TB Drive !!!!

I have created my own "Station" and try to use period correct music and news reports... as well as "Borrow" from other available "Radio Mods" to fill my events with all kinds of neat stuff.
Time most all my events to play after dark so I can be on the surface to listen for them, all seems good so far.

If I had one wish for SH and the Radio/Phono.....
Being able to play files outside the Sh directory.
Be nice to have ALL my music/Sounds in one place, instead of duplicates all over the place eatting up drive space.
My Sh4 Radio folder is near 30gigs, and thats AFTER a major house cleaning..... Now I'm near duplicating that for Sh5 !!!

Anywyas............
Yeah I know this is a necro post, but just incase someone else comes across it while searching radio mods or stuff.

You can change where SH5 (or any program really) looks for things by using "symlinks". Symbolic links are handled by the OS and are not "seen" by programs themselves. In this way you can fool SH5 into thinking it's accessing the data/sound/radio folder when in actuality it's accessing a folder elsewhere. I personally have an external hard drive setup with all the radio mods I'm making for my father and his SH4 symlinked to the data/sound/radio folder.

Code:
mkdir /j "C:\Games\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 wolves of the pacific\data\sound\radio" "X:\Games\Mods\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\data\sound\radio"
That's how I have it setup on my fathers computer. For further reading and understanding either see this blog post or google search Windows symlink.

Also, for those that are going to add radio mods, I've found that SH3 through SH5 play nicer with OGG format then MP3 or WAV. A good freeware/Open Source application for converting files is Fre:AC. It's not as fast as some others, but it's open source so you can compile it yourself, and it's dependable. Now if only I could figureout what the timezone lines are in SH4 for the events.ini I'd be golden.

Signed,
ZeroTrace
Old 04-07-15, 12:43 PM   #5
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10
Icon14

Thank you for the valuable info, Phrozin
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15, 02:45 PM   #6
Phrozin