Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-22, 10:23 PM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default Kirstie Alley of Cheers fame passes away from Cancer

Kirstie Alley has played a number of roles including Star Trek 2 and Look who's talking. Kirstie's breakout role was that of Rebecca Howe in 1987 on the long running sitcom, Cheers. Kirstie earned a Golden Globe for best actress and an Emmy for outstanding lead actress for her part in the Boston-based series in 1991.

I well and truly enjoyed all of their performances including Ted Danson as Sam Malone, Shelly Long as Diane Chambers, Kelsey Grammer as Dr. Frazier Crane and Woody Harrelson as Woody Boyd among so many other gifted actors and actresses. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The bar in Boston was portrayed as a place you would want to go where " everyone knows your name."

Well Kirstie, we will never forget your name or fine performances.

Rest in peace and thanks for stopping by.

https://news.yahoo.com/kirstie-alley...023948182.html

Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-22, 05:48 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

R I P Kirstie

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-22, 06:01 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Saavik. And the better of the two. She later said she did not play the second movie because she was offred a lower wage than in the first movie.

But sorry, there is also her dark side. She was since her youth a Scientology member, bought her ranks up to some very high ranking inside that company ("operating thetan VII") and both spend millions on it and influenced others to spend on Scientology, again by the millions. Her Hollywood affiliates like John Travolta and Maria Presley also are/were. She refused to reprise an earlier series role that was embedded in the narrative context of a psychiatric setting.

Fool were she spend her own money on Scientology, dangerous where she made others to join Scientology.
Old 12-06-22, 10:37 AM   #4
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

rip she wasn't one of my favorites but she was ok in cheers and ok in for richer or poorer
Old 12-06-22, 10:10 PM   #5
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Great show. Shelly Long was very good, but Kirstie was a much better match for Ted Danson.

R.I.P., Mrs. Alley.
Old 12-07-22, 05:07 AM   #6
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

R.I.P.!
Rhodes is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-22, 05:46 AM   #7
johnboy1958
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Cheers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Kirstie Alley has played a number of roles including Star Trek 2 and Look who's talking. Kirstie's breakout role was that of Rebecca Howe in 1987 on the long running sitcom, Cheers. Kirstie earned a Golden Globe for best actress and an Emmy for outstanding lead actress for her part in the Boston-based series in 1991.

I well and truly enjoyed all of their performances including Ted Danson as Sam Malone, Shelly Long as Diane Chambers, Kelsey Grammer as Dr. Frazier Crane and Woody Harrelson as Woody Boyd among so many other gifted actors and actresses. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The bar in Boston was portrayed as a place you would want to go where " everyone knows your name."

Well Kirstie, we will never forget your name or fine performances.

Rest in peace and thanks for stopping by.

https://news.yahoo.com/kirstie-alley...023948182.html

Very well said Commander Wallace still enjoy watching the re-runs on tele today
R.I.P. Kirstie Alley
Old 12-09-22, 08:17 AM   #8
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy1958 View Post
Very well said Commander Wallace still enjoy watching the re-runs on tele today
R.I.P. Kirstie Alley
Thanks Johnboy. We have the Cheers series on DVD. The writers for Cheers were Glen an Les Charles along with James Burrows. Ironically, Glen and Les were writers on MASH, another critically acclaimed sitcom comedy. Glen and Les also wrote for the series Taxi. Taxi also had great characters and chemistry, especially Christopher Lloyd as the drunk Taxi driver, Jim Ignatowski.

Although I didn't share Kirstie's views on Scientology, I thought all the actors and actresses on cheers including Kirstie Allie shared a unique chemistry. You know you are doing some great writing when you can create story lines and comedy for 11 seasons revolving around the misfits at a local bar / watering hole.

I also liked " As Time goes by, " an English Sitcom with Judi Dench as Jean Pargetter and Geoffrey Palmer as Lionel Hardcastle. Their respective paths cross again by happenstance after knowing each other when they were much younger. The Korean War, and a long lost letter, separated the lives of Jean and Lionel but brought them back together. Moira Brooker, Philip Bretherton rounded out the ensemble. I enjoy watching them all when I have the chance.

I would watch Cheers weekly in the final couple seasons to see what my fellow miscreants were doing at the bar. It's kinda the same reason I log into Subsim like I do.

Cheers johnboy. Have a great holiday season and all the best in the new year.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 12-10-22 at 08:01 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-22, 01:53 PM   #9
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Regarding Kirstie Alley, I stumbled on this YT posting while loking for some other films; this is a 1985 TV movie staring Alley in which she portrays noted feminist Gloria Steinem; in 1963, Steinem took a job as a Playboy Club Bunny as part of her research into the Playboy subculture for magazine article, which was subsequently published in two parts in Show Magazine; the TV movie takes not a few liberties with Steinem' s article (as could be expected from the then male dominated TV industry), so it is not quite the feminist story she might have intended; this is the full movie, in at least watchable quality...

<O>