Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-07-23, 06:44 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Hamas launches war on Israel

Netanjahu has declared a state of war.

Reservists are being called up in huge numbers, observers count that as a sign of that they have the situatin not under control.

Hamas started with a barrage of "hundres of rockets". Hamas commandos have attacked into Israel on the ground, killed many civilians in the streets on sight, and hijacked "a huge number".

The Israeli air force is in full combat engagement.

It seems the Israelis this time got caught on the wrong foot. I guess they will regain control, but I also think this is a new war, not just an "operation".
Old 10-07-23, 07:08 AM   #2
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

^Yep, that will be the headline in 2099 as well.
Old 10-07-23, 08:01 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Observers in Israel describe the way Hamas strikes and tactics it uses as right the worst case scenario the army always had feared and warned of. The situation gets compared to the debakle of Jom Kippur 1973. Sounds all pretty serious. And the hostages - many of them already. Wasn't there this Israeli soldier who was held hostage for 5 years and then got freed - for over 1000 terrorists in Israeli prisons?
Old 10-07-23, 08:30 AM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

What I'm wondering about is-What can we expect from Iran, Syria and Lebanon(Hizbollah)?

Hopefully they stay calm.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-23, 08:46 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

My money is on Israel every time.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-23, 08:48 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

2200 rockets fired so far, says IDF speaker. At least 40 dead, 780 wounded. A "huge number" (speaker) of hostages taken.

Sooner or later it will be Israel'S move. It will be anything but shy.
Old 10-07-23, 09:01 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

After air strikes, 200 dead in Gaza, says CNN.
Old 10-07-23, 09:04 AM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Easier to simply put up a live feed.

Old 10-07-23, 09:08 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Analysis of "why now?" To the author it is no surprise.

https://www-focus-de.translate.goog/..._x_tr_pto=wapp
Old 10-07-23, 09:14 AM   #10
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Last edited by Otto Harkaman; 10-07-23 at 12:29 PM.
Otto Harkaman is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-23, 07:54 AM   #11
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Default Putin’s Gaza Front

Great article by James Sherr, thought it deserved its own thread so it wouldn’t get lost in the spam.

COMMENTARY OCTOBER 30, 2023
Putin’s Gaza front

https://icds.ee/en/putins-gaza-front/

Vladimir Putin and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu take part in a wreath laying ceremony in Moscow on May 9, 2018. In 2011, Putin went so far as to describe Israel as a practically a Russian-speaking country’, and only seven years ago, he called it an ‘unconditional ally against international terrorism’. Yet Putin offered no condolences to Netanyahu after Hamas’s attack.

Quote:
Russians have long understood that to win a war, you must utilise an enemy’s forces as skilfully as you use your own. As the Gaza conflict demonstrates, these forces can be far afield of the war one is trying to win. The joint attack by Hamas and Islamic Jihad on Israel on 7 October has shifted global attention away from Russia’s war against Ukraine. But it has not altered Russia’s determination to dismantle that country and cripple its so-called sponsors in the ‘collective West’.

On 13 October in Kyrgyzstan’s capital Bishkek, Putin claimed that ‘no one suspects [Russia] wishes to play around’ with the Gaza conflict because of its strong and good relations with each of the protagonists. But the historical record belies this assurance. Even in Soviet times, when Moscow took the ideological offensive against ‘US imperialism’ and ‘Israeli aggression’, it sought to create synergies between the region’s endemic contradictions and hostilities. Under Putin’s watch, it has cooperated ‘pragmatically’ with every country and its worst enemy. It has ‘played around’ with pre-meditation and purpose, deepening relations with Iran, Saudi Arabia, Hamas and Israel simultaneously.

In itself, the Putin-Netanyahu relationship emerged from a balance of fears no less than a balance of forces, to which one must add the respect of each party for the tenacity and calculated ruthlessness of the other. But it also was a product of permissive circumstances: President Obama’s ‘pivot to Asia’ and the diminution of America’s presence and influence in the Middle East.

Over a good fifteen years, the relationship brought tangible benefits to both sides. On the one hand, Russia looked the other way whilst Israel struck targets inside Lebanon and Syria. In turn, Israel refused to join the Western sanctions regimes of 2014 and 2022 against Russia, and despite US entreaties, has not supplied air defence systems or other lethal weapons to Ukraine either, at least overtly. In 2011, Putin went so far as to describe Israel as ‘a special state to us…practically a Russian-speaking country’, and only seven years ago, he called it an ‘unconditional ally against international terrorism’. Yet Putin offered no condolences to Netanyahu after Hamas’s attack.

To understand why, one needs to appreciate just how radically the Ukraine war has restructured Russia’s priorities. Prior to February 2022, the 50-year special relationship with Germany was at least as important as the Russia-Israel relationship, but it was sacrificed on the altar of Russia’s ‘special military operation’. Russia has now made the same calculation with respect to Israel.

Five interests now take precedence: the rupturing of the West, the war in Ukraine, ties with Iran (which the war has made an indispensable ally of Russia), sabotaging the US-sponsored Saudi-Israel entente, and driving as many wedges as possible between the ‘collective West’ and the ‘global South’. In short, the specific conditions that spawned the Russia-Israel relationship fifteen years ago have given way to new ones.

These new conditions are at least as advantageous to Russia as the old. Today, we need to face four unpalatable truths.

First, Russia views Israel as the Achilles heel of the United States. Washington might claim that it will support Ukraine ‘as long as it takes’, but it knows that Israel cannot be allowed to fail. If Congress is forced to debate the relative priority of Ukraine and Israel, there is no debate. Israel wins.

Second, Israel’s greatest weakness is that it is predictable. History has taught its people that turning the other cheek is a recipe for extinction. The attack of 7 October was not merely, in the words of Israel’s ambassador to Germany, ‘the deadliest day for Jews since the Holocaust’, it was a stunning exercise in ‘reflexive control’: the defeat of an adversary by its own actions. Israel’s survival is more at risk today than at any time since 1948.

Third, the fates of Israel, Ukraine and Taiwan are intertwined. What links them is the commitment and credibility of the United States. The Kremlin believes that their removal from the political map would mean the end of the West as such. Possibly, it is right.

Fourth, whether or not Russia was complicit in Hamas’s attack, it had every reason to be. Its 17-year relationship with Hamas goes well beyond courtesy calls. The visits of the Hamas leadership and the head of its Politburo to Moscow in March and September this year were almost certainly about consultation rather than courtesy. If, as ‘informed sources’ claim, Hamas and Iran began planning the operation one year ago, it is most unlikely that Russia was kept in the dark.

Françoise Thom recently wrote: ‘Putin understands nothing about Western civilization. On the other hand, he has an unerring instinct for what can destroy it’. Maybe.

Over the years, Putin has proved himself to be less a master strategist than an engineer of lose-lose outcomes. He might come to regret some of these. US military power is now returning to the Middle East in earnest. It takes little effort to grasp that an Israel-Iran, not to say US-Iran war could bring a swift halt to Iran’s lifeline of military supplies to Russia. Moreover, it would swiftly expose Russia’s limitations. In such a war, Russia would have no spare military power to offer. Instead of making Russia indispensable, it might show the world that it has no clothes. In the end, Russia might pay a horrendous price for the harm it has wrought. But the end could be far away. Meanwhile, Russia’s capacity to confound, subvert and damage is likely to remain unrivalled.

This article is a revised version of the one published in Postimees on 26 October.
Hat tip: G.B.H.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-23, 09:19 AM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

You're too late; I already referenced "Putins war by distraction" in the Hamas attacks Israel thread. That was on 10/8; 18 days before Jame Sherr's editorial was published (10/26)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
You"re a pussy! We need to completely nuke the Gaza strip, while simultaneously dropping one on Teheran and Cairo(Mr Atta who masterminded the 9/11 attack was Egyptian-I have a long memory...) and serve notice to Putin's global 'intent by distraction'. The bombs dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 by WWI artillery captain Harry Truman were not intended for Hirohito as much as they were for Stalin and the post 'cold war...so every 80 years we need to repeat the message particularly to the aggravating communist factions. With MIT predicting the end of civilization by 2040, I mark it :17 years and speeding up. Too bad we don't have a detonation-rocket to turn the sun into a red giant and just end the farce over who's God is better; if one exists at all...moreover, at age 72. I don't give a rat's ass
ATTN Moderator: please merge this thread with the hamas attacks Israel thread .

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-23, 11:08 AM   #13
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 10-31-23, 11:10 AM   #14
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

BREAKING:

Dozens of people are reported killed after a blast at the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza.

The Hamas-run health ministry and a hospital director say at least 50 people were killed.

The health ministry blames Israeli air strikes - the Israeli military are yet comment.

The camp is in northern Gaza - an area where Israel has told people to leave for their safety.

================================================== ========

Israel's military has confirmed that Israeli fighter jets carried out the attack on the Jabalia refugee camp in Gaza.

The IDF says the strike killed a senior Hamas commander and caused the collapse of Hamas's underground infrastructure.

Last edited by Jimbuna; 10-31-23 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-31-23, 02:49 PM   #15
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
You're too late; I already referenced "Putins war by distraction" in the Hamas attacks Israel thread. That was on 10/8; 18 days before Jame Sherr's editorial was published (10/26)! ATTN Moderator: please merge this thread with the hamas attacks Israel thread .
I beg forgiveness I am but small and puny. I bow to your infinite wisdom and insights on geopolitics and international relations. Please accept my groveling as a token of my admiration and esteem for your holiness oh great and powerful poobah.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 10-31-23 at 02:57 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote