SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-09, 01:26 AM   #511
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
=Polyfiller : Keltos ... this actually has just re-trigerred my motivation to help you - I've had a similar problem on some of the TSWSM zones - rpaired but still flooding....

I'll maybe do some testing over the weekend.
I still have some troubles with the way the damage model is behaving, although it is really the same as the Fleet Boat Damage model, our boats get sunk more easily. way too easily...

I'll try a new way using fleetboat zones like Observer did for the UBoot Damage Mod if Polyfiller can't help.

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 03:48 PM   #512
keltos01
Silent Hunter

I switched the uboot zones for fleet boat zones, it helps, but still we have weak rudder and propeller shafts and the stern torpedo room floods (too) easily to my taste. But now at least they repair the damage !

but then again, I-Boats were of inferior quality compared to Fleet Boats and even those got sunk from dc...

keltos

Last edited by keltos01; 09-13-09 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-13-09, 06:17 PM   #513
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 0

how fast can she go? how many torp tubes does she have? and whats her crush depth?
CaptainMattJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 06:52 PM   #514
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default re

As someone who will definitely play the IJN mod, I will tell you that I won't mind if the boats are a bit delicate, more so than fleet boats esp since as you stated below, they were of inferior quality compared to fleet boats.However, some were reasonably sturdy, I remember reading about one surfacing after a DC attack by US DD's and it had a depth charge stuck in the deck...crazy.Finding a good balance will prob be the key here.If the boat is highly prone to rudder and engine damage...may want to talk to ducimus about how he solved that problem in TMO 1.7.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 09:32 PM   #515
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

In many ways the IJN submarines were indeed strong and superior ..and much effort was put into creating a large and versatile force. But the submarine force suffered from two major problems: one was mechanical and one was strategic. Many of the power plants were somewhat old fashioned and problematic. Some of the large boats had a major problem in surfacing and submerging. Changes between Desiel and electric required a mechanical change in drive chain that severly limited the speed of these essential manuvers for a subsurface craft.

And the major problem was Fleet command saw and continued to see to the very end of the war the submarine force's main task as being support of the surface fleet. they never set up a strong and aggresive campaign against merchant shipping or really used the qualities of the fine boats that the IJN had including the 17 seaplane carriers in the sub force.

Sad for them but lucky for the allies.
Old 09-14-09, 12:18 AM   #516
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMattJ. View Post
how fast can she go? how many torp tubes does she have? and whats her crush depth?
http://www.combinedfleet.com/ss.htm

there you have all the specifications for IJN subs.

this one, the Kaidai 3B had six fore tubes and two aft.

keltos

Old 09-15-09, 03:42 PM   #517
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default IBDM

I-Boat Damage Mod v1.3

fought it off on the surface :

after an epic battle - are those destroyers elite Peabody ?- with Peabody's dc test mission, I sank 2 outright then got damaged by dc by the last of them...

I managed to crawl away and repair at the same time, now pumping out water

the Kaidai 3b behaves better now!

keltos

Last edited by keltos01; 09-15-09 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-18-09, 12:41 AM   #518
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default IBDM v 1.3.1

Right, so I took the settings from RFB and ported them over to my subs, I changed the crew numbers as japs were more numerous on their boats, but basically now you take damage but don't flood that easily, I still need to tweak the Kaidai 3b a bit, then I'll move on to the other subs.

Quote:
Admiral Von Gerlach : Changes between Desiel and electric required a mechanical change in drive chain that severly limited the speed of these essential manuvers for a subsurface craft.
so as I thought, they weren't true diesel-electric boats like the US ones ?

keltos

Old 09-18-09, 01:43 AM   #519
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

IIRC all of the American subs and the german ones even had a direct-drive electric motor, meaning both the diesel and electric motor were on the same shaft, allowing the diesel to be used as a dynamo to recharge the batteries.
the japanese however, I think, used a different drive comfiguration, meaning the motors had to switch drives with the diesels, probably by some kind of Rube Goldberg cog, rack and pinion thing
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 05:59 AM   #520
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Yes that is correct Sledge, i posted about that a while ago in this thread. They had to manually shift things using some kind of chain hoists and manual shifting, and it was cause of much delay and many injuries to crew. I believe the problem originated because IJN was trying to do as much in house (ie. in Japan) as possible and did not want to import the technology to do it more efficiently but i am not sure. Whatever the cause, it was a major problem for their boats and handicapped them at vital times in boat operations from what i have heard and read.
Old 09-19-09, 07:21 PM   #521
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
Yes that is correct Sledge, i posted about that a while ago in this thread.
didn't see it, haha

Quote:
I believe the problem originated because IJN was trying to do as much in house (ie. in Japan) as possible and did not want to import the technology to do it more efficiently but i am not sure.
WWII Japanese thought it as an embarrassment to stoop to someone else's level and ask for help. That is why we do not see many Japanese WWII veterans
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 07:23 PM   #522
haegemon
Medic

Downloads: 12

Get ready to jump to the new system from SHV? Impresive mod.
haegemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 04:47 PM   #523
keltos01
Silent Hunter

traitors...

I couldn't resist... after I avoided the DD, I emergency surfaced and lobbed a few 6 inch shells (5 ?) at her then crash-dived again to 300 feet , gosh I love the single 6 incher but wait till you try the dual 6 incher on the J1M !

Sweet Boat

no leaks so far still got engines too, so maybe, maybe the RFB Porpoise settings are good ?

Old 09-21-09, 04:53 PM   #524
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Jyunsen 1M

Kaidai 3b

Kaidai 3B, 120 feet

I just got revenge for the beating those 2 DDs gave me, I sank one with a stern shot but also exposed myself to another attack by the last one.

She bracketed me good : two close hits on either side of the tower but...

although damaged only the attack scope was destroyed !

So I guess separating the scopes and making the obs scope stronger works after all !

the damage model has been tested for the Jyunsen B, kaidai 3b and Jyunsen 1M but is implemented for all boats of the Jyunsen B mod.

keltos

IBDM v 1.4 beta d/l :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ld1yzo..._v1.4_09_21.7z

Jyunsen B mod v 3.4 :

http://www.filefront.com/13220636/V_..._JyunsenB.rar/

Old 09-21-09, 06:23 PM   #525
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default re

I must admit, I check this thread once a day, sometimes more if i happen venture back to subsim more than that.Really looking forward to the whole IJN mod.

Question, will there be working, AI controlled US subs to torpedo? I torpedo IJN boats now and then in TMO, just got sank one off the Marianas actually.Would be cool to be on the other side.

Missions to the US west coast? Hawaii? Plenty of traffic in those areas? Just curious.

The sub models look great and it seems you are getting the damage issues worked out, can't wait for the finished product
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote