SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-24, 08:57 AM   #1
tAKticool47
Bosun

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Editing the 'Barent's Sea Loiter' mission ...?

Hi everyone...

Haven't been here in a while, but having been thrown in the garbage by my ex right after Thanksgiving, and therefore not having a whole lot of stuff to do, I've been playing DW more for the first time in a few years.

One mission that always was fun and frustrating at the same time was the Barent's Sea Loiter ... basically, you get a 688i and have to transit an hour or two in order to attack a Soviet SAG consisting of their carrier Kusnetsov, ASuW DDG Sovernmenny, and a virtually-unharmable Kirov variant. Sometimes there is also a pesky Akula, sometimes not.

I had never once been able to destroy them all. It's ridiculous how it takes 20 missile hits or several torpedoes to sink the Kuz & the Kirovs are basically The Starship Enterprise ... and I know the mission says just "damage", but I consider it necessary to sink them all. As it happens, I did just actually sink all 3 (but that particular mission, there was no Akula , so I both did and did not beat it... )

But you can't edit this mission for some reason? In the Mission Editor, it doesn't show up whatsoever... in the game files, there is a Barents_Sea file but it has a different extension than the other missions. I tried copying and pasting and renaming it to the other extension, didn't work. I also will not that despite the mission NAME being "Barent's Sea Loiter" in the game, the word "loiter" doesn't appear in the filename or anywhere else within the files/folders {near as I can tell} ...

Is there some reason you can play it but not edit it and/or is there some hack to getting it open? I just wanted to have a little fun, see if it was any easier with a different class of sub and/or editing the Russian vessels a little.

And again- two main points I wanted to raise ... the Kirovs are like literally The Terminators ... their Shipwreck missiles are unstoppable messengers of death, and their own AAW missiles are perfect. There are times I fire torpedoes that just won't hit the damn ship. It's like when you press two sides of the same pole of a magnet together and it just repels , yep, torpedo just magically repels off the Kirovs and nope, no sink for you!

And the Virginias are way too slow. Jive Turkey/Sub Brief all but confirmed it without saying it... their reactors put out waaaaaay more power than a 688 while being only slightly bigger ... and *almost* as much as a Seawolf while being smaller ... this 28kt BS , more like 38-40... I think it's pretty much confirmed that the Seawolf hit over 40 on trials, there is a doc on YouTube where the first CO actually said that the design engineers and scientists were amazed that it went faster than their wildest expectations. Well, the Virginia has a newer, more efficient reactor and it's smaller. 28 is like a dodo bird.

Anyway thanks for the help!
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-24, 02:13 AM   #2
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 34

Hey Tak,

Sorry you've got some stuff going on, man. I don't think I have an answer - but the only close thread I could think of was this one...

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...light=password

Hope this helps a bit,
Stew
Old 04-10-24, 12:22 PM   #3
tAKticool47
Bosun

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Thanks very, very much brother, I will give that a read & try. Very much appreciate it, thank you again Sir.
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote