Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-07-21, 12:09 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default National dish

We have had many thread about food, I can not remember a thread about our National dishes.

Which culinary dish is characteristic for your country ?

Here in Denmark it is

Roast pork with parsley sauce and potatoes

Sweden-Sweden does not really have a national dish, however there are some candidate to this title, those are:

Swedish meatball.
dumplings.
split pea soup.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 12:23 PM   #2
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

Oooh now here's a thread I'll pay extra attention to!

Here in Norway there are more regional traditions than national ones:

Salted lamb/mutton ribs served with (here's where every household goes to war against anyone not making it their way), primarily on the west coast but it's spreading... unfortunately...

Lamb & cabbage stew, served with potatoes and it's likely to be the greatest autumn (cold, rainy, dark days) food on the planet.

Fish soaked in lye... an abomination and probably covered in the Geneva convention.

Frozen pizza... yep, we are barbarians and I wish I was joking. The #1 food here is a frozen pizza...
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 12:26 PM   #3
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

In the US, we have no national dish - more like regional dishes.

Even pizza, which might be considered a national dish, has so many variations - NY thin crust, Chicago deep dish, Frank Pepe's white clam pizza in Connecticut, California with whatever weird things they put on pizza out there.

Some regional favorite dishes where I'm at:

Hoagies
Cheesesteaks
Taylor's Ham (aka pork roll)
Scrapple

Panzerotti

In my travels, I've seen some different dishes:

Australia - the ubiquitous meat pie. And this bakery in a little town that serves the most amazing Vietnamese meat rolls - their banh mi are the best I've had anywhere in the entire world.

Japan - pizza with mayo, squid ink, corn, or whole chickens on it. And KFC and a cake for Christmas...
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 12:35 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due
Fish soaked in lye... an abomination and probably covered in the Geneva convention.
Frozen pizza... yep, we are barbarians and I wish I was joking. The #1 food here is a frozen pizza...
C'MON Now! Lutefisk and pizza were staples of dining at my alma mater: ST. Olaf College! in the heart of Norwegian Minnesota! "FRAM FRAM" and a Hamm's beer to quaff it all down with! : for those a bit squeamish about the fish we served up the staple that won the war: SPAM from Austin, Minnesota...just 20 miles south.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 12:39 PM   #5
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
C'MON Now! Lutefisk and pizza were staples of dining at my alma mater: ST. Olaf College! in the heart of Norwegian Minnesota! "FRAM FRAM" and a Hamm's beer to quaff it all down with!

Hamm's...

Around these parts, it was Rolling Rock, Natty Light, or Genny Cream Ale.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 12:42 PM   #6
Von Due
Sea Lord

Quote:
C'MON Now! Lutefisk and pizza were staples of dining at my alma mater: ST. Olaf College! in the heart of Norwegian Minnesota! "FRAM FRAM" and a Hamm's beer to quaff it all down with!
When I lived in Bergen many years ago, one student there ate nothing but this one pizza. He didn't get his exams. He did however, get diseases to his internal organs, diseases the doctors didn't even have names for.

My father loves lutefisk but I really don't consider it suitable for consumption. Fish in paint remover just isn't my idea of sound thinking.
Old 02-07-21, 01:01 PM   #7
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

The Danish National dish is not old. Yes the dish itself is old, but not as the countries national dish.

It was in 2013 or 2014 where the Danish minister of culture said that Denmark shall have a national dish. In the beginning there were many. Many of these was removed as they had an origin from other countries and had been danished.
In the end there was 20 dishes left- The Danish people could then put their vote on which dish they would like to be the National dish.

Markus

Old 02-07-21, 01:03 PM   #8
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
When I lived in Bergen many years ago, one student there ate nothing but this one pizza. He didn't get his exams. He did however, get diseases to his internal organs, diseases the doctors didn't even have names for.

My father loves lutefisk but I really don't consider it suitable for consumption. Fish in paint remover just isn't my idea of sound thinking.
Lutfisk is also a part of the Swedish Christmas dishes.

When I lived in Sweden, my Swedish friend use to eat lutfisk and other things on Christmas eve.

Markus

Old 02-07-21, 01:10 PM   #9
Von Due
Sea Lord

I do believe the lamb & cabbage stew was voted to be our National dish, with some 45% of the votes.

For Christmas, traditionally it would be lamb ribs in the west/south, pork rib in the east/SE and cod far up north but again, the lamb is conquering new territory and as a whole, people tend to move around and bring with them their traditions to where they move to.
Old 02-07-21, 01:13 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

cool 'Merikan National dish

Seriously though; wherever I go in the world there's only 1: Wendy's, White Castle, Jack in the Box, McDonalds, Burger King(2 for $5 Wopper special) Bridgemans & my own BBQ and any mom and pop burgershacks....since I was knee high to grasshoppers the 'national meal' remains: and I'm particular 'bout the buns and sesame seed too!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 02-07-21, 01:16 PM   #11
Von Due
Sea Lord

Quote:
And now I'm hungry.
Old 02-07-21, 01:29 PM   #12
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Oooh now here's a thread I'll pay extra attention to!

Here in Norway there are more regional traditions than national ones:

Salted lamb/mutton ribs served with (here's where every household goes to war against anyone not making it their way), primarily on the west coast but it's spreading... unfortunately...

Lamb & cabbage stew, served with potatoes and it's likely to be the greatest autumn (cold, rainy, dark days) food on the planet.
That sounds amazing.

Texas

Brisket BBQ
Chili con carne
Chicken fried steak (oh god, now I'm hungry! )
Tex-Mex
King Ranch casserole
Pan de campo
Corn dogs

and of course, Dr Pepper.

I think we covered this in a previous thread but I like food so ok...

Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 01:36 PM   #13
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Seriously though; wherever I go in the world there's only 1: Wendy's, White Castle, Jack in the Box, McDonalds, Burger King(2 for $5 Wopper special) Bridgemans & my own BBQ and any mom and pop burgershacks....since I was knee high to grasshoppers the 'national meal' remains: and I'm particular 'bout the buns and sesame seed too!

I do have a weakness for a burger and fries. Although I avoid fried foods, a good beer batter dipped cod fillet, deep fried and fries / chips hits the spot too. Add coleslaw and it's good eatin' in the neighborhood. A good beer or two washes it all down. The running joke with my better half is I tell her that I feel the need to go to McDonalds when I feel my cholesterol level dipping dangerously low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
We have had many thread about food, I can not remember a thread about our National dishes.

Which culinary dish is characteristic for your country ?

Here in Denmark it is

Roast pork with parsley sauce and potatoes

Sweden-Sweden does not really have a national dish, however there are some candidate to this title, those are:

Swedish meatball.
dumplings.
split pea soup.

Markus

That sounds real good , Markus. Both VonDue and 3catcircus had great posts regarding food. 3catcircus had mentioned about regional foods. That's sounds pretty accurate and I would only add that with the U.S being a melting pot of sorts, We tend to see culinary dishes from all over the world based on peoples varied ethnicity. In my own case, a favorite dish is Shepards pie although with beef substituted for lamb. It is an English dish although as I understand it, The Scots first made it. Neal of course added his barbecue thing and now, I'm really hungry where I wasn't when I started writing this post.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 01:37 PM   #14
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Oh yeah, and pecan pie...and of course....

HAMBURGERS! The world’s first hamburgers were created in the late 1880’s at a small cafe on the Henderson County courthouse square run by a man known as Uncle Fletcher Davis.

This was a little before my time but we all know Texans are honest and humble, right?

Old 02-07-21, 01:45 PM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

cool If U build it they will come

Quote:
And now I'm hungry.
If you build it they will come!

ON the Weber BBQ with Kingsford briquets all ash gray: using my watch chrono timer: patties: 1 minute to sear; flip for 3 more; flip back for 3min side: also commence buns over coals 1 minute only to create nice grill pattern-remove to cool area of grill; flip patty to original side place cheese for 2 minutes till nicely melted (I use Swiss myself!) remove and place on lower bun half and finish construction: purple onion, avocado, tomato, Romaine lettuce, leftover morning's bacon etc! Serve with $2 Buck Chuck Chardonnay! If in sixties', take your Cholesterol tablet!!!