SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-21, 09:50 PM   #2296
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Basically, this discovery was me realizing I had not been doing something I should have done (and that the original devs did) - all of the stock units from unmodded Silent Hunter 4 have the Unified Render Controller in their .DAT files. Thus, they do not butcher frame rates (like modded units with no Unified Render Controller). It may be worthwhile to check and see if other modders forgot to give modded ships URC's because if so, they may be causing frame rates to be lowered.

However, if you are getting low frame rates with stock SH4 ships then your hardware is probably the issue. Hope that makes sense.
Yeah, it does... thanks.

Know that with running SH4 in stock, didn't have any issues with the frame rates dropping or any thing... & I do play some pretty graphic intensive online games, as well. For the most part, most are handled well by this rig I am on now. I have ran into a couple of newer ones that it isn't handling well.. which was to be expected sometime soon.

I do have another tower that I am working on that is beefier than this 1 that I am on now is. With plans to use this 1 now being used, as more for keeping up with normal stuff, like emails, social media... & not gaming. That is what the other 1 is going to be for... My go to hard core gaming rig.. & nothing but that, that I am working on now.

M. M.

Old 03-13-21, 02:20 PM   #2297
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Update on damage details to ships. U-31 class submarine showcases damage effects by attacking a German destroyer.....just don't do this for real when the game comes out, or a firing squad awaits you. Note different shell holes and how you can blow off the bow or stern without sinking the ship right away.

Stock SH4 and SH5 have problems displaying damage when ships get torpedoed or shelled - often the damage hole does not appear, or you get an ugly flickering effect on the model. Now, this has been solved and each ship can have literally HUNDREDS of shell holes depending on where it is hit. Shell holes can be painted textures or simulated voids using alpha channels. This was done using the ObjectRemains controller; an extremely powerful little controller that IMHO not enough modders use.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 02:29 PM   #2298
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

nice detailing...

M. M.

Old 03-13-21, 03:14 PM   #2299
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164

wonderful; as always

I have a question about German light units: how many German DDs will be present in the mod? only the 1913 series or with any more modern like 1914/16 or 17 series and older types like 1906 series or old torpedo boat ?

And what skins will you use ? Only the gray/ "green" paint scheme or will you add black and brown skins ?

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-21, 06:28 PM   #2300
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
wonderful; as always

I have a question about German light units: how many German DDs will be present in the mod? only the 1913 series or with any more modern like 1914/16 or 17 series and older types like 1906 series or old torpedo boat ?

And what skins will you use ? Only the gray/ "green" paint scheme or will you add black and brown skins ?

I am aiming for about 6-8 classes - so far 2 have been built but they can be created quickly. Maybe in 1-2 days, especially because I now have a big library of ship funnels, bridges, & other parts. I no longer have to start each new ship from square one. My plan is to include mostly classes that fought at Jutland. Maybe one old 1906 era type. Destroyers that were not built until just before the end of the war are lower priority.

Paint will usually be black or gray.
Old 03-18-21, 07:16 PM   #2301
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Update on damage details to ships. U-31 class submarine showcases damage effects by attacking a German destroyer.....just don't do this for real when the game comes out, or a firing squad awaits you. Note different shell holes and how you can blow off the bow or stern without sinking the ship right away.

Stock SH4 and SH5 have problems displaying damage when ships get torpedoed or shelled - often the damage hole does not appear, or you get an ugly flickering effect on the model. Now, this has been solved and each ship can have literally HUNDREDS of shell holes depending on where it is hit. Shell holes can be painted textures or simulated voids using alpha channels. This was done using the ObjectRemains controller; an extremely powerful little controller that IMHO not enough modders use.

Excellent! I love the detail!

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-21, 11:42 PM   #2302
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

I am still not totally satisfied with the damage textures, I felt like the shellholes are too circular so I changed them this week. Also I felt that the holes are a bit big for an 88mm gun, so they may be made smaller.

Plus the metal doesn't look "ragged" enough. Ah well, more work for later.

The nice thing is I can use Objectremains to NOT show holes unless a shell of a certain size hits the ship. Thus, battleship turrets for example can be immune to visible damage from, say, an 88mm gun, but get holed when they are hit by a 12-inch shell.
Old 03-19-21, 04:04 AM   #2303
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Good news - The Invincible Class battlecruiser has mostly been modeled (original model had been destroyed by ransomware). AND the Queen Elizabeth class. Now the only big warships left are Derfflinger Class (modeled but need major corrections) and Lion/Queen Mary (modeled but need to be skinned & detailed). And maybe HMS Tiger. Feels amazing to have all the battleships almost done!

Confirmed Battleship/BC Roster:

-Bellerophon Class Battleships
-St. Vincent Class Battleships
-Colossus Class Battleships
-Orion Class Battleships
-King George V Class Battleships
-Iron Duke Class Battleships
-Queen Elizabeth Class Battleships
-Revenge Class Battleships (Ported from SH Series)
-Invincible Class Battlecruisers
-Indefatigable Battlecruiser
-Australia Battlecruiser
-New Zealand Battlecruiser
-Lion Class Battlecruiser
-Queen Mary Battlecruiser
-Tiger Battlecruiser

-Nassau Class Battleships
-Helgoland Class Battleships
-Kaiser Class Battleships
-Konig Class Battleships
-Von der Tann Batlecruiser
-Moltke Class Battlecruisers
-Seydlitz Class Battlecruiser
-Derfflinger Class Battlecruiser

To be released (possibly) afterwards in expansion pack:

-Majestic Class Pre-Dreadnought Battleships
-King Edward VII Class Pre-Dreadnought Battleships
-London Class Pre-Dreadnought Battleships
-Formidable Class Pre-Dreadnought Battleships
-Canada Battleship
-Agincourt Battleship
-Erin Battleship

-Deutschland Class Pre-Dreadnought Battleships
-Braunschweig Class Pre-Dreadnought Battleships
Old 03-19-21, 03:40 PM   #2304
HobbitJack
Watch

Downloads: 135
Icon14

Plenty to torp!
And plenty of torps to go around! (Not really)
HobbitJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-21, 04:33 PM   #2305
ijustwantrisingsun
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

Will crew on ships be dynamic? Have animations such as walking or falling down when attacked, different panic states etc
ijustwantrisingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-21, 05:48 PM   #2306
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Basically, this discovery was me realizing I had not been doing something I should have done (and that the original devs did) - all of the stock units from unmodded Silent Hunter 4 have the Unified Render Controller in their .DAT files. Thus, they do not butcher frame rates (like modded units with no Unified Render Controller). It may be worthwhile to check and see if other modders forgot to give modded ships URC's because if so, they may be causing frame rates to be lowered.

However, if you are getting low frame rates with stock SH4 ships then your hardware is probably the issue. Hope that makes sense.
Way back when GWX was working on doing an SH4 release?
Yeah. We had the URC included. There's even a Tool release that will add that to an SH3 dat file for a quick conversion of the SH3 Units.
Old 03-21-21, 01:49 PM   #2307
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Way back when GWX was working on doing an SH4 release?
Yeah. We had the URC included. There's even a Tool release that will add that to an SH3 dat file for a quick conversion of the SH3 Units.
Hey Jeff! Great to have you drop in! Always surprised by the tools you guys create, since that is not my area of expertise. And although I respect your decision, I was saddened that the SH4 version of GWX was never completed, I am sure the team would have produced a masterpiece. Based on the screenshots (which I think have now been deleted from the web) it would have been quite comprehensive.

Not taking shots at anyone, but personally I have a hard time playing mods that only change a couple aspects of the game while leaving all the standard WWII pacific stuff unchanged - like modern sub mods for SH4 that only change the player units, and leave the WWII ships/planes/interface the same. GWX for SH4 clearly would have had an excellent "Atlantic" ambience.

And good work with your new SH5 tool; I can't understand half of what you do on that thread but I know it's good.
Old 03-21-21, 02:39 PM   #2308
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Yeah. We stopped GWX4 due to SH5 coming out and the promise it would make our stuff obsolete.
Should have known better then that but it is what it is.

Thanks for the complement for the work in SH5.
It will help other modders by file size reductions and that is always a good thing.

Old 03-22-21, 09:00 AM   #2309
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Yeah. We stopped GWX4 due to SH5 coming out and the promise it would make our stuff obsolete.
Should have known better then that but it is what it is.

Thanks for the complement for the work in SH5.
It will help other modders by file size reductions and that is always a good thing.

"Amen" to that, brother!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 10:09 PM   #2310
Torpex77
Helmsman

Downloads: 72
Default Found this cool video

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheGreatWar...tm_medium=mweb