SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-27-15, 08:29 AM   #1591
Dupe
Nub

Downloads: 203
Uploads: 0

Hey IABL, I'm not much of an expert, but an "order" like the order of the Red Eagle was pretty much an ennoblement for a recipient like the OBE or OOB. Unlike the UK at the time, Germany still had a landed nobility and they were apparently VERY stringent about class when it came to awards like that. That's why most of the recipients like the Red Baron were already noblemen at the time.

I believe that the same is true for the other "orders" of the other kingdoms like Bavaria and Wurtemburg as well. I read that unless you were at least from the "Junker" class you couldn't really become an officer in the Prussian army at least. I even read that right up until WW1 a corporal couldn't ever be promoted beyond that rank during service. Stuff like the Iron Cross was accessible to all ranks but the Pour le Merit wasn't awarded to enlisted men either except maybe in some special cases but I don't know of any. So the award is rare mainly because it was basically a nobility thing. Besides I'm pretty sure the award is like a middle ground award too. I'm almost positive the order of the Black Eagle was higher if not the highest in that range of awards.

Hopefully at least some of that info is correct. I'm sure someone with more knowledge then me can clarify.
Dupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-15, 02:39 PM   #1592
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164

that sounds good my friend
Some news, I found a lot of images of the old ottoman forts and the info about KuK and ottoman harbors, but I have some problems with my computer so I may have more time than I thought
An other info, in 1917, the german government tried to form an alliance with the Mexican government (watch Zimmermann Telegram). Even if Mexico didn't accept the german's proposal, sometimes mexican ships refuel german submarines near american coasts. So can you add some spies transports missions to Mexico in 1917?

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)

Last edited by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt; 11-27-15 at 05:05 PM.
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-15, 01:03 AM   #1593
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

IABL Can you give us a hint on the liner? For example does it have more the one funnel?
Old 11-28-15, 08:33 PM   #1594
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
IABL Can you give us a hint on the liner? For example does it have more the one funnel?
Yep..more than one funnel and she's a big girl...lol. That's why she was so famous.

Did some more work on the interface because I don't like SH4's loading screens; statues are from Shells of Fury. Photos at the top are of some of the most successful WWI commanders.
EDIT: See later post for current version. 11/30/2015.

Last edited by iambecomelife; 11-30-15 at 06:22 AM.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-15, 07:23 AM   #1595
中国水兵

wow cool
perhaps this ship is the BRITANNIC, but i'm not sure.

Old 11-29-15, 11:12 AM   #1596
中国水兵

Default submarine's interior

one thing, you want use, for the u-boats' interior a remade S class interior; in my opinion that interior is not the most appropriate for the small submarines (like UB1/2;UC1; KuK U-5); if you can, can you make an interior based on the ww2 type II for that boats?

Old 11-30-15, 02:16 AM   #1597
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Well then its gotta be the Britannic as the mystery ship as she is the only major liner besides the Lucy that was sunk by a submarine(admittedly not directly but the mine that got her most certainly was laid by one)
Old 11-30-15, 06:21 AM   #1598
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

A dead giveaway...You should be able to recognize those davits anywhere! Lol...I will post screenshots when there is more progress.

More work on the U-31 class was done; the early war conning tower and hull are complete. Next I will be doing the late war variant of this class, with the "hump back" and modified conning tower (see below). This variant had more reliable engines and could carry 9-10 torpedoes, instead of the original 6:

Modified the loading screen a bit; not sure which one to use...I will add a text box with information about submarines, ships, top scoring KM aces, etc....so that way there will be interesting info as you load missions.

Thank you very much, Dupe, for the information on awards...and hats off to you too, Oliver, for helping out with the Turkish forts. I didn't know about Mexican ships refueling subs; I will add that to the campaign layer.

Rushing off to work, but I should have screenshots of a big environmental update this evening.

Old 11-30-15, 06:49 AM   #1599
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

I forgot how many lifeboats you could stuff onto the davits White Star put on her. I don't think i'd ever be able to pull the trigger on the Britannic if I ever ran across her. Actually will you be implementing a GWX type system for Red Cross ships where sinking them gives huge renown penalties? Also out of curiosity have you figured out a way where sinking a neutral or friendly ship doesn't mean an automatic game over when you return to port?
Old 11-30-15, 10:16 AM   #1600
U505995
Planesman

Downloads: 70

The SS Justicia was another liner sank by U-boats in WWI, it was attacked on the 19th of July 1918 23 miles north west of Malin Head Ireland. Two U-boats made separate attacks on the vessel but it was the UB-124 who made the kill.
U505995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 04:24 AM   #1601
Xall
Mate

Downloads: 137

How is the progress going? It has been a while since I checked in, loads of new improvements I see. Any estimation of how much % this is roughly done?
The anticipation is getting overwhelming : D
Xall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 06:46 AM   #1602
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

In terms of completion, it's like an exponential thing. With this mod, you make very slow progress at the outset....then, you reach a critical mass of progress and things start falling into place quickly. I'd estimate I'm at the start of the "critical mass" phase - The U-87, for instance, is virtually complete externally, and it will be the basis for most other submarines of similar size. For a long time I was struggling with crew uniforms...now that phase is basically complete. So things are picking up speed.

Apologies for no environmental screenshots but I was busy tweaking the files all night - this is extremely addictive. And I'd rather have a better ocean environment than just post screens when it's not quite ready....they will be posted ASAP as long as pictures of new ships/submarines.

I have learned a tremendous amount about modding the game recently and had a lot of fun. The amazing thing is just how much room there is for improvement in SH4 if you just think outside the box a little.

Again, I want this mod to be a transformative experience - recreating the world as it was at the beginning of the 20th Century...not just throwing in a few WWI models in a Pacific WWII simulator. I want to alter MANY things to conform to the Atlantic circa 1900-1918:

-Submarine and Ships (obviously)
-WWI weaponry
-Completely new Award System
-Collectible items, linked to Award System
-Promotions
-Minor role playing elements
-Crew specialization/fatigue rates
-Menu Artwork
-Music
-Human Figures ashore and at sea
-New behavior, animations, and injuries for crewmen on AI ships
-Atlantic Maritime Environment/ocean & sky textures
-Maritime ambience
-Navigational aids
-Destructible Harbors/Buildings
-Marine life/biological units
-[Possibly] Interiors for subs
-Dynamic campaign with scripted important events (Jutland, Gallipoli, etc)
-Ship Routing
-Accurate convoy sizing
-Prize warfare

All of the above is doable, based on my experiments so far. I spend hours and hours in S3ditor, "probing" the game for its secrets to see what can be done....again, I am amazed at its potential.

Moreover, I want to add lots of little touches to the Nautical and land environment to make SH4 more of a sailing simulator and exploration game....not just blowing up ships in PatrolZone X (although combat is important). I want people to have fun exploring their sub and transitioning to/from the patrol area, in the midst of an accurate 1914-1918 environment with friends/enemies/neutrals going about their business. People should say "wow! I didn't expect him to include THAT!" This is intended to be a total conversion mod....sending the player back in time is my goal!

Last edited by iambecomelife; 12-01-15 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-01-15, 07:27 AM   #1603
padi
Officer

Downloads: 126
Default [WIP] Wolves of the Kaiser:1914-1918 Mod

Do you include a DC throwing sailor til mid-war or do you left the default WW2 Style Racks?

Join the Real ASW Mod Discord-Server:
https://discord.gg/Yg5ZE25
padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 10:03 AM   #1604
中国水兵

IABL, how it is going with the armored cruiser you have posted at page 103?

Old 12-02-15, 06:41 AM   #1605
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
IABL, how it is going with the armored cruiser you have posted at page 103?
It's been sunk dozens - maybe hundreds of times to get the sinking behavior right! I added a new compartment to make it capsize within about 10 minutes, based on how I read the "Aboukir", "Cressy", and "Hogue" sank (similar class, though not exact sisters). So far I am pretty happy with the sinking behavior.

Depth charges will be spawned without WWII throwers, although I may not include an animated sailor throwing them.