Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-11, 11:37 AM   #1
Spleef
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Is it worth buying?

Some SH3 veterans may remember my commander (burning flag) from the early multiplayer days.

I have been completely out of the loop, and face information overload trying to get up to speed.

So far i understand that SH5 is basically not worth buying, but the capabilities of the modding community never cease to amaze me.

Quite simply, have the modders made sh5 worth buying over sh3?

If not, which are the best mods for giving sh3 a new lease of life?

Thank you for your time, and perhaps a FAQ should contain this question and answer so people can see a consensus opinion at a glance!

And hi to all the people i multiplayed SH3 with, albeit briefy at the start.
Spleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 11:45 AM   #2
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi,

SH5 is a bit like being depth charged for the very first time, you won't know how you will react until it happens.

sid
Old 01-26-11, 11:46 AM   #3
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

This very question has been asked many times before:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177930

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177514

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=176116

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174003

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=172758

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 11:56 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

1. It's the best game ever made. Buy it now and you won't regret it.

2. It's garbage. Stay as far away as possible.

3. Everything in between.

There are people who play it and love it, and there are people who have played it and hate it, and there are people who play it and sort-of like it but think it could be better, and think it will be better with time.

The only way you can know which one you are is to actually buy it and play it.

I'm sorry if I seem callous, but it seems like someone asks that exact same question every single week.
Old 01-26-11, 12:04 PM   #5
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

At today's prices you can't grumble too much if it's crap...

Give it a go, only you will know if you like it or not.
Old 01-26-11, 12:06 PM   #6
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Yup. Mookie hit the major links. Read around on the boards and you'll get opinions of all sorts.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 12:09 PM   #7
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hehe, ^^ this.

Frankly i am sure there were much more posts about that, than only the four listed, two posts above

I still don't like the online requirement , but at least now it only checks at the beginning or so i think. For 9,99 bucks i am sure you will not regret it. I am already having a ball, and if you think what the modders will do with that in a year .. i just hope the sim is as "modellable" as SH3 and SH4 was. It really looks promising.

If you are looking for a "perfect" sim get SH3 with GWX gold and some little mods, or use SH4 with the U-boat add-on and the OMEGU mod - you will have a full blown war campaign from the baltic to Indonesia/Australia.

Regarding SH5 get it for 10 $, download patch 1.2 (includes #1.1), install JSGME for conveniently adding or removing mods, and just use TDW's free Opus Magnum mod and a few others. The graphics are phantastic, if your PC/graphic card can run it.

Greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 05:13 PM   #8
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Hehe, ^^ this.

Frankly i am sure there were much more posts about that, than only the four listed, two posts above

I still don't like the online requirement , but at least now it only checks at the beginning or so i think. For 9,99 bucks i am sure you will not regret it. I am already having a ball, and if you think what the modders will do with that in a year .. i just hope the sim is as "modellable" as SH3 and SH4 was. It really looks promising.

If you are looking for a "perfect" sim get SH3 with GWX gold and some little mods, or use SH4 with the U-boat add-on and the OMEGU mod - you will have a full blown war campaign from the baltic to Indonesia/Australia.

Regarding SH5 get it for 10 $, download patch 1.2 (includes #1.1), install JSGME for conveniently adding or removing mods, and just use TDW's free Opus Magnum mod and a few others. The graphics are phantastic, if your PC/graphic card can run it.

Greetings,
Catfish
Thats the thing that got me. Oh how Id love to play Sh5, but unfortunately my computer cant handle her (I start a career and i get a FPS of like 2 when I am "waking out of my bunk" in game yup

On another note, Ive noticed that the TDC seems funky, is there any way at all to maybe mod it back to SH3 style??

I want to see SH3 with GWX Support and mods, with SH3 style campaign mixed with SH5 then Id die and go to heaven
Old 01-26-11, 05:47 PM   #9
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello Mr. Smith,

You wrote:
" ... Thats the thing that got me. Oh how Id love to play Sh5, but unfortunately my computer cant handle her (I start a career and i get a FPS of like 2 when I am "waking out of my bunk" in game yup ..."

Hmm, my PC is also old in terms of the young kids, some 2 years now. Upgraded Ram to 4 Gb, and a better (though old) Nvidia 9800GT card with 1 Gb memory - the latter ones are about 50 $ or so. Sims ran better with XP though, Win7 is .. ahem .. !"§$%&/()=!!

" ... On another note, Ive noticed that the TDC seems funky, is there any way at all to maybe mod it back to SH3 style??
I want to see SH3 with GWX Support and mods, with SH3 style campaign mixed with SH5 then Id die and go to heaven ..."

There is already a SH3-style like graphic user interface ("GUI"), with the three dials at right bottom etc., but you will need some of the new buttons for the new functions. It's rather easy to learn though even with the new thingies. Just do not use the umodded SH5 vanilla version, this is somehow "sub-standard" ahem. Also lower the graphic settings, even at lowest the sim does not really look bad.

The TDC has already been modeled like it is now done for SH5, in SH3 and SH4 ! With SH4, U-boat add-on and the OMEGU mod (also called ATO for Atlantic Theatre of Operations for U-boats) you have some kind of a full-blown SH3 with slightly better graphics and full TDC function, and can go from the baltic, to Indonesia in a campaign. Or to the mediterranean, up to you. The modding is not hard if you once understand the basics with the JSGME ("Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler"), even i was able to do it

Sh5 will soon be there i think, there is already a mod that lets you play past 1943 (limit in SH5), just give it some time. Do not go to heaven too early, you might miss SH5 become the new SH3, and current high-end PCs will be much cheaper in a year -

Greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 05:53 PM   #10
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Hello Mr. Smith,

You wrote:
" ... Thats the thing that got me. Oh how Id love to play Sh5, but unfortunately my computer cant handle her (I start a career and i get a FPS of like 2 when I am "waking out of my bunk" in game yup ..."

Hmm, my PC is also old in terms of the young kids, some 2 years now. Upgraded Ram to 4 Gb, and a better (though old) Nvidia 9800GT card with 1 Gb memory - the latter ones are about 50 $ or so. Sims ran better with XP though, Win7 is .. ahem .. !"§$%&/()=!!

" ... On another note, Ive noticed that the TDC seems funky, is there any way at all to maybe mod it back to SH3 style??
I want to see SH3 with GWX Support and mods, with SH3 style campaign mixed with SH5 then Id die and go to heaven
..."

The TDC has already been modeled like it is now done for SH5, in SH3 and SH4 ! With SH4, U-boat add-on and the OMEGU mod (also called ATO for Atlantic Theatre of Operations for U-boats) you have some kind of a full-blown SH3 with slightly better graphics and full TDC function, and can go from the baltic, to Indonesia in a campaign. Or to the mediterranean, up to you. The modding is not hard if you once understand the basics with the JSGME ("Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler"), even i was able to do it

Sh5 will soon be there i think, there is already a mod that lets you play past 1943 (limit in SH5), just give it some time. Do not go to heaven too early, you might miss SH5 become the new SH3, and current high-end PCs will be much cheaper in a year -

Greetings,
Catfish
I so hope so!! My friends build computers for decent prices even I can't get, but on another note I'd like a beastly computer for many of the graphically nice games on computer (SH5, Amnesia, Crysis 2, FSX, etc. etc.)
Old 01-26-11, 05:57 PM   #11
kraszus
Mate

Downloads: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleef View Post
Quite simply, have the modders made sh5 worth buying over sh3?
Yes

TDW's mega mod has really changed the sim for me. Playing it now more than SHIII.
kraszus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 08:42 AM   #12
Itkovian
Helmsman

Downloads: 15

Personally, I payed full price for it and don't regret it.

Admittedly there were a lot of hardships at first (before the patches, especially), and the sim requires a handful of mods before it becomes really enjoyable (the TDW's UI mod, especially), but now that all that is in place I am having a great time with SHV.

Granted, I expect that SHIII and SHIV were more accurate sims (though from what I understand one of the biggest gripes about SHV is that flaws in previous versions were not corrected), but SHV has something that I had been looking forward to for a long time: the ability to really take on the role of captain.

In short, you're not the submarine itself, or a synthesis of the entire crew. You are the sub's captain, nothing more. The whole 3D design of the boat and crew interaction is a brilliant idea, and that above all is why I jumped on board (quite frankly, I had never been a big u-boat fan before SHV).

Of course, that feature also needs some modding to be more enjoyable (mightyfine's crew mod, and more crew commands, along with TDW's UI mod), but once that's all in place, the sim is excellent.

As a bonus, get one of the gramophone mods, that adds a bunch of semi-appropriate music. Then you can issue your orders, retire to your nook, and read a book while listening to Edith Piaf.

Itkovian
Itkovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 12:22 PM   #13
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Ha, I came this close to posting the exact same thread. Glad I checked first.
Old 01-31-11, 12:54 PM   #14
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
1. It's the best game ever made. Buy it now and you won't regret it.

2. It's garbage. Stay as far away as possible.

3. Everything in between.

There are people who play it and love it, and there are people who have played it and hate it, and there are people who play it and sort-of like it but think it could be better, and think it will be better with time.

The only way you can know which one you are is to actually buy it and play it.

I'm sorry if I seem callous, but it seems like someone asks that exact same question every single week.
Hey Castout, read this ^^

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 04:24 PM   #15
Brothertheo
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 70

I'm still sorting out which mods to install and which ones to leave out and which ones conflict with others, and how best to configure Darkwraith's mod and all that, but...

I bought SH5 from a Canadian company via Amazon for something like 8 bucks *including shipping*! Even if this game only turned out to be a pretty tech demo, I'd say its not too bad a price. But, coupled with the fact that it included a nicely produced 1 hour documentary about finding the USS Lagarto, I'd say it was definitely worth it.

Yes, it has bugs. The mods go a long way towards rectifying Ubisoft's shortcomings, but don't correct everything (yet). Still, for 8 bucks? Try it, and if you don't like it, well, there's always SH3 and 4
Brothertheo is offline   Reply With Quote